Search

Lkg for a new island

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lkg for a new island

We just returned from Cayman and thoroughly enjoyed it there. We have a new love, snorkeling, although some may laugh, we and our two kids wish to visit a Caribbean island with wonderful, accessible snorkeling and coves to explore......forget money, for now, I want opinions on islands, places to stay, and of course, snorkeling...
thx all,
Jen
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM

A love of snorkeling and wanting to base future vacations on locations with accessible snorkeling is hardly laughable. Lots of folks on this forum love St. John for its lush, mountainous interior and beautiful cove beaches with great snorkeling from shore. If money is no object, you might like Caneel Bay or just want to get a private villa.

The British Virgin Islands are also well known for their snorkeling, with Virgin Gorda supposedly rivaling St. John for its from-shore snorkeling, but not as many places for doing so. There are also points such as Norman Island's caves and The Indians that are reachable by daysails in the BVI. Anegada is also lauded for its snorkeling, but the island itself doesn't have a major tourist infrastructure.

Vieques, off the coast of Puerto Rico, is also an island that has been getting many recent snorkeling raves. It's relatively undeveloped since the US Navy had until 2003 taken over most of the island. It probably will not remain undeveloped for long.

Turks & Caicos also gets raves for its snorkeling from shore as well as from the world's 3rd largest barrier reef that runs offshore, reachable by boat.

Various of the Bahamas Out Islands would also fit the bill for you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

thank you ejcrowe: Money is an object unfortunately...Turks and Caicos seem very expensive. I will inquire to the others you mentioned...again, thank you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:11 PM

Is Turks and Caicos more expensive than Cayman? I was under the impression they were similar in cost. I know that when you're in Cayman your U.S. dollar is only worth about 80 cents over there. So you lose money right off the bat in Cayman.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVED GC, but I don't think T&C can be too much more expensive. I guess I'll find out when I go in May!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM

Redonda (near Montserrat) is alledged to have great snorkeling & diving. Montserrat is very inexpensive, Redonda itself, is currently uninhabited.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:41 PM

I found some wonderful snorkeling in Vieques this past winter. In fact, I'm going back to get some more of it this summer. Yep, I love me some good snorkeling. Vieques isn't for everyone, but it is relatively inexpensive.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM

You should try Bonaire, the best snorkeling from the shore I've ever seen. I dive all different islands, but with Bonaire the snorkeling is almost as good and a lot less hastle!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM
owa

mbladwin, What was your favorite snorkel site on Vieques? Ours was green beach. Blue was a close second. We too are going back.

Midwestdiver, we are going to try Bonaire for the first time in October. When were you there?

desertbound, have you considered either of the above? Good luck, Owa

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:21 PM

owa, I was on Bonaire the spring of 1998.A girlfriend and I go away together often leaving our kids to dive and, sun, and party.I probably would not go back. The island is pretty hard to get to and not much else to do. I would say you have to do it once in your lifetime because it is so inbelievable, the only place I've ever seen seahorses! It's pretty cool. It's right up there with Saba!