Search

Live from Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2024, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Live from Cuba

I am in Moron for the first time. My experience flying to CCC is just 1 all inclusive trip about 10 years ago and the first flight out of Cuba on July 3, 2021 during the pandemic after I had been stranded for 6 months. Anyway, back to Moron. The food scene is decent. The usual plethora of pizza and pasta places and the other usual Cuban staples. There's a pretty good Mexican restaurant here that I have been to twice already. It's not Mexican good, but it is Cuban good. The old Perla de Norte hotel has been gutted and is in a sorry state of disrepair. Looks like people are living on the upper floor and the main level is being used by various Cuban business people. Fruit and vegetable sellers, hairdresser, etc. The date of 1925 is still legible on the top of the hotel for now. At night I have been to the Buena Vista Social Club and the Casa de la Trova. Usually just pre recorded music at the BVSC. I see a bunch of tourists everyday on day trips from the resorts. Most of them look like they are wondering "Why the hell did I come here"? There is a train service to Ciego de Avila and I will probably end up taking a trip there soon. The train tracks are right next to my casa and I walk along them everyday. Funny, I haven't done that since I was a teenager. Here for another week or 2 before I visit Caibarien again.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 08:37 PM

I blew through Moron years ago from the Cayos heading to Santa Clara. I don't remember mucho about it other than the peculiar name.
You will be taking the train to Ciego city? Groovy daddy, I have never taken the train to anywhere in Cuba.
I would be interested in your opinion of Ciego city if you stay there.
Keep up your reports. Remember that you can post fotos on this site.
Gracias
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

I hardly ever take any pictures anymore. I took many when I was travelling around the world and then never looked at them again. So now I don't even bother. I might break down and take a few this trip. My dad and some of my friends keep asking me for some. I did buy my dad a bottle of Santiago de Cuba 12 year old today at 7500 CUP. So that should keep him happy even with the lack of photos. 7 year old HC sells for between 1700-2000 for a 700ml and 2800 for a 1L. No shortage of beer either. Starting around 200 CUP for Mayabe and a bit more for others. Moosehead from Canada is the cheapest beer I have seen on this trip at 180. I bought a case of 24 Bucanero for 4900 pesos the other day. Still no sparkling water. I figured as much and packed a bunch of cans with me.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 02:24 PM

Some try for lunch at the restaurant on the water in the nearby lake - something Leche in the lake’s name.
Karina and I had a nice fish meal there aeons ago.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Yup. Laguna de la Leche. I'm planning on walking out there in the next few days. Figure it will take me about an hour and a half.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 05:34 PM

Great do come back with a report please.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

I'll have to clarify the distance. I thought my guy said it was 5kms away. Looks much further on a map. If so, I won't be walking it.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Also, the power outages have been quite frustrating lately. Brutal yesterday. Probably about 8 hours total. Today there were 3 blackouts for around 4.5 hours. Shortages here are manageable. No sparkling water as I already mentioned. Lots of cola, lemon-lime and orange pop. No issues with fruits and veggies. I'm well stocked with green peppers, tomatoes and bananas. Also lots of cucumber, cabbage and pineapple around.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 07:47 PM

And the beer situation?
Just checked - according to Google Maps the lake is 24kms away. They say 5 hours to walk.
im glad you didn’t head off without checking lol!
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 09:14 PM

Simon are you self-cooking or eating out for meals all the time?
How are the restaurant choices in Moron?
How many days total will you spend in Moron?
Anything stand out there?
Do the town folk mind being called morons?
How would you compare Moron with Banes? Similarities?
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 09:17 PM

One village idiot but a city of morons ja ja!?
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Tons of beer around. Lots of European imports, Moosehead from Canada and all of the usual Cuban brands are widely available. Had a crystal in a bottle the other day for 240 CUP in the park area around the theatre. Had a Victoria beer from Spain today at La Laguna and a delicious grilled fish dinner. I was concerned when I looked at google maps, but my guy was right. It was 5 km from the edge of Moron. About 7km total for my walk there from my casa. Took me 1h and 50 minutes. Was planning on walking back, but was picked up by a horse carriage taxi. As for my meals, mostly restaurants. I've had a few meals at my casa and I did bring a bunch of my own food. Moron is way bigger than Banes. Lots more stores, bars, restaurants, everything. I usually walk for between 2-4 hours everyday and it's a pleasant place to stroll around. One thing that stands out to me is that I see more Canadian flags here and Blue Jays crap than I see in Toronto. Come on resort people. I know you are proud Canadians and you love your sports teams, but the staff at your resort do not need another Blue Jays baseball cap!
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 07:58 PM

Ah so much for Google Maps.
Thanks for the report Simon.
I would have taken a taxi both ways all the same lol.
Glad you enjoyed the fish.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

I thought about staying another week in Moron, but my room was already booked by new arrivals, so I came to Caibarien a week early. I'm meeting a buddy of mine from Toronto here next week. Had a brutal 2 hour 100km trip here. The road was great in some stretches and really bad in others. I'm staying at my usual casa in Caibarien. Nice to see my host family again. My casa's money guy showed up here and offered me 320 pesos per American dollar without any negotiation. Some new private stores have opened up since last year and a couple new restaurants. I like being in a location that's on the water. Sat on the malecon and had a few beers today. Baseball season starts Saturday and I plan on making it to Santa Clara for a game or 2.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 07:09 PM

Yes we visited Caibarien twice Simon..
Remember in particular a couple of seafood restaurants -one on the other side of the Malecon and the other near a sandy beach a bit out the town.
Have fun!
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 10:02 PM

We enjoy these reports on this forum considering our trips to Cuba have always been to a resort with the odd overnight stay away from there in a nearby city. Thanks
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Power outages have gotten much worse lately. My casa host runs his generator when the power is out between 19:00-01:00. So still frustrating, but manageable. I was finally able to watch a complete baseball game today. Power was out for the entire first game on Saturday and on Sunday the power came back on in the bottom of the 8th. Am still planning on seeing a game in Santa Clara. Met a couple of nice people from the USA here for religious reasons. I won't post about their activities on this forum, but they are trying to help the Cuban people. I know the seafood restaurant by the malecon John. Whenever I walk by there, I get a double HC 7 year rum. 240 pesos. I had a nice fish dinner there on my last trip to Caibarien and will be eating there again soon. North Beach and Coliseo are my favourite restaurants and my casa host also makes excellent food. My amigo from Toronto arrives this week. Just when I thought I couldn't possibly drink anymore.......
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 05:05 PM

Lucky me, I don't think that I have ever encountered a power outage while in Cuba.
Yeah, hope that you get to Santa Clara to see Cuba's finest at the ball park.
You've got me reading up on Caibarien. So they have a malecon....and what about beaches?
Unfortunately for me, I will probably only end up where the Viazul bus can take me.

..........I get a double HC 7 year rum. 240 pesos.
My o my, now I know why you can't wait to get to Caibarien!
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 05:10 PM

Sorry about the blackouts Simon but lucky to have a generator.
Keep up the reports and do continue to enjoy yourself!
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Malecon in Caibarien

Welcome to Caibarien.

Was this the restaurant you and Karina dined at John on Laguna Leche or was it the other one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -