Little Dix Bay Report

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Little Dix Bay Report

Hi all
Just got back from LDB and thought I'd share with you since I've gotten sooo much from this site.
First I have to say that I HIGHLY recommend this place. It is the most beautiful island I've been to and I've been to a lot. Snorkeling was so great, lots of sea turtles and fish. Water was crystal clear! The rooms at LDB are a tad on the "rustic" side. It isn't the Ritz but the room totally matches the island atmosphere. Food was great too. The menu changed somewhat everynight. The baths were unbelievable! I really cannot say more great things about this island or this resort. The ONLY drawback was drink prices. $10 for glass of wine and $20 for a glass of champaigne ($8 for mixed drinks). You can always go into town and buy your own drinks as there are refidgerators in the room. Oh and the time of year was great as there was about 40% occupancy at the resort! A+++ Trip
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:57 PM

I'm going to LDB in 2 weeks. What type of room did you have? Were there a lot of kids staying there? Was the service friendly? Did they give you a room upgrade?
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Hayley,
I booked a premium room and did get upgraded to a one bedroom suite. When I do return to the resort I think any room is sufficient. They are all on or VERY close to the water plus we didnt spend too much time in it. There weren't many kids at all (I think 4 to be exact) and the place has a great kids program that seemed to keep them out of sight. The staff was mixed to my surprise. It was obvious many patrons were told to receive friendly service to as how the person was and be overfriendly yourself (I beingoneof those people). I however thought I got a lukewarm response at best from around half the staff. The higher profile employees were definatly the nicest (although didnt care for the concierge woman too much). Food is great - have the conch shell fritters for lunch!
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 12:15 PM

My fiance and I are looking at booking our honeymoon for next June. We are looking at Little Dix Bay as well as several otehr high end resorts. I noticed Little Dix has no pool... is that correct? Do you miss it? Just curious about this detail... also, if anyone has recommendations for truly AMAZING and LUXURIOUS resorts in the Caribbean, please pass them on!!! THANKS!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Would not recommend LDB for Honeymoon! Just returned from PI & LDB. Due to the recent storms, both resorts had some drawbacks: construction, closed beaches, restaurants, etc. Enjoyed some of the local flavor of Virgin Gourda, but LDB was anything but luxurious. Many bugs in our "premium" cottage (not worth paying more $$), roosters and kids in clear sight and sound at all times!!

If could do over again, would have donne PI and the Four Seasons in Nevis.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:22 PM

It is worth the $$$ to charter a private yacht with captain and chef to tour the BVI's or USVI's. The Moorings is a fantastic operator out of Tortola. This is a magnificent experience, and the meals and drinks are included. Accommodations on board are wonderful. Plus you make your own itinerary, and you get to use the beaches at PI and LDB as well as the Baths at Virgin Gorda, etc.

Just spectacular for a honeymoon!
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 07:05 PM

My Husband and I just returned from a 12 day vacation in the BVI during mid. December. We spent four days on Tortola at the Sugar Mill which was a wonderful small type of Hotel with excellent service. We then moved over to Little Dix Bay -- this was our 5th stay there, and we were very pleased as usual. I think readers can be mislead from one of the previous replies. They experienced some tropical storms in the BVI towards the end of November with some very heavy rains which caused some road damage on tortola -- not as much on Virgin Gorda -- because of these tropical storms, this was the first time we experienced "no-seeums". Other than that, we have never had a problem at Little Dix Bay. Every second year we try a different resort and destination but so far we still favor Little Dix for their service, very friendly staff, food, very comfortable rooms, and best beach to snorkel off of. I could go on and on. Overall, I don't think you could ask for much more. Yes, they do welcome young families but that's the way it is today with two parent working families. Little Dix tries their best to manage this situation, and the property is so spread out that the young children didn't bother us at all. I'm convinced that there is no perfect resort, but this is pretty close to perfect.