Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Least amount of plane changes

My wife and my three teen daughters and I
want to travel somewhere quiet,pristine,
with good snorkeling and very good food
We can use Philadelphia or Newark NJ airport.

I do not mind changing planes and taking
all day to get to paradise.
My wife and girls, however, are becoming less tolerant
of all day trips and multi- plane changes
than I am.

Is there somewhere in the Bahamas or Turks that
fits the above description without the
all day, multi plane switching experience?

How hard is it to get to Stella Maris?
Coral Sands?
Abaco?
Provo ?

Thanks

Mark H.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:31 AM

If you can get to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale from one of those airports on a non-stop, you can reach many of the Out Islands or Turks & Caicos in just one more flight.

From MIA, you can get to Marsh Harbour (Abaco) or Georgetown (Exuma) on American Eagle, as well as to Providenciales.

From FLL, you can get to North Eleuthera (from where you ferry to Harbour Island), Cat Island, Marsh Harbour or Treasure Cay, and Georgetown on Gulfstream (which code shares with Continental and Delta).

I'm fairly certain that US Airways has a number of flights to the Out Islands from FLL as well.

I'm not sure how you'd get to Long Island, however.

With respect to American Eagle, Gulfstream, and US Airways, all three will have interline baggage agreements with the major carriers, so you'll only have to check your luggage once in EWR or PHL -- even if it's not the same carrier taking you down.

There are also a number of small commuter airlines out of FLL, but they will not have interline baggage agreements. So, unless you carry on, you'll need to collect your bags and re-check.

I will say that with the exception of Provo, which has some great restaurants, you will not find "very good" food in the Out Islands or the T&C. You'll find decent food, but most of it is shipped in from elsewhere.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM

In three weeks I have a direct flight from PHL to St Lucia. You can also find direct flights from EWR to many of the islands. Are you dead set for T & C's or Bahamas?

I personally don't mind the island hoppers, I think it's cool to fly around and so close to the water. But I do appreciate your families point of view.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Philly and JFK have direct flights to T&C.

For Out Islands, you could fly to Ft. Lauderdale on JetBlue (your family will love this) then 1 plane to most Out Islands in Bahamas. Most Out Islands are only 1 hour flight.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:27 AM

you can leave newark at 6:15am on aa #1047 connecting to #673 in miami and arriving provo at 2:20 pm. this is a good flight and right now on expedia is listing $509.20/pp if you fly on tuesdays with ret lving pls at 3:30 on #746 thru miami to #1050 arriving ewr at 11:55pm. arrives home late, but gives you at least part of the day on the beach before you have to leave.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM

I'm leaving for T&C this Sunday out of JFK. Our direct flight leaves JFK at 7:15 AM and arrives in T&C at 10:30.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:06 AM

Newark or Phil daily direct to SXM (St.Maarten) then the commuter over to paradise. Safe, beautiful St. Barts.