Layover in Miami..going to TCI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 6 hour layover in Miami on our way to Turks and Caicos (longest layover ever)!!!.

Any suggestions on what to do? I was thinking maybe breakfast at a hotel nearby the airport (not too fancy, we'll be in vacation/plane wear). We originally got an idea from elsewhere to go have breakfast at the hotel in the Miami airport, but they have areas closed for re-modeling. I just don't want to venture to far out and get stuck or something. Would it be too much of a hassle coming back into the airport with security lines etc.??

I'm just dreading sitting in the airport for that long!!!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:05 AM

If you haven't done so, I would post this question on the Florida board. With a 6 hour layover, i would def go somewhere and have a nice breakfast. I would just make sure i got back to the airport with plenty of time, as Miami is a veyr busy airport. If you post on the florida board people can give you a better idea as to where to go. Have fun!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Find a cab with a Cuban driver (not very hard in Miami) and ask him to take you to get a good Cuban breakfast. Most Cuban restaurants you can get eggs, meat, tostada, potatoes, and cafe con leche for abour $ 3.50. Damn, now I am hungry.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:46 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

I like the breakfast at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, about 20 minutes away. Even better is their expansive Sunday brunch - expensive, but worth it!

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:47 AM

MIA is a HUGE nightmare. The lines for security can seem miles long. You are best off staying put in the airport as boring as that might be... plus the traffic when you leave the airport can be horrendous. You mine as well go to the hotel (or call) and see if the restaurant is open, according to the site it is open. We had breakfast there during a long layover, very casual, food is not great honestly, but it got us away from the crazy airport for a while. There was hardly anyone there so we were able to sit for quite a while. Stop and buy a magazine or bring a good book!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:07 AM

6 hours on domestic to international means you will have boarding passes in hand (I assume you are on the same airline), so can leave the airport for about 4 1/2 hours (just get back an hour before your flight to clear security lines).
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:37 AM

I assume you don't have to deal with your luggage in Miami? If you don't, then I think you definitely have time to go somewhere. I second the suggestion of Coral Gables. It is a 20-minute taxi ride. It is a lovely area to walk around with shops and restaurants. We've stayed at the Hyatt there on a couple of occasions. Good luck.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Miracle Mile (Coral Way Ave) is the place to be dropped off.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Miracle Mile is a nice spot.
Another lunch fun option is Coconut Grove-and CG has great bathing suit shops to set you up for Provo.
I like to go to South Beach, Ocean Drive, sit in an outdoor cafe and people watch.
The hotel in the airport, lunch is by the pool. Is the pool in repairs? You really forget you're at the airport up there.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Big Al is roght on.. Go have a Cuban meal. U will not be disappointed with the meal or the price. Much better than airport food. Worth the cab fare. Excuse my right.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Actually, there is a La Caretta right in the airport. You can get your Cuban breakfast there. But it sure ain't gonna be for $ 3.50. Airport rape, er, I mean tax.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Just be careful if you leave the airport (time wise) not to disagree with others, but I live in FL and have connected through MIA more times in my life than I care to count. Sometimes it has taken 2 hours to clear security. One time on my way back from Coconut Grove to the airport it took an extra half hour because of a bad accident. You just don't know ahead if a delay will arise for one reason or another. Again, this is my experience with it. I have left the airport a few times with no issues, but its hard to tell. Probably you would be fine, but again you never know.

GL I hope however you spend your time it goes quickly!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

<b><font color="purple">Thanks everyone... I really appreciate your responses! At least the layover on the way back home is only 2.5 hours.

I guess if I have to have a 6 hour layover, I'd rather have it on the way to TCI as I'm so excited and anxious to get there, I don't mind the wait and it feels like it goes by faster. It seems like on the way home, I just want to get the traveling over with and it takes forever!</font></b>