Last spring break and cant decide!

Feb 3rd, 2019, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Last spring break and cant decide!

My husband and I are taking our 18 year old son (last child at home) on spring break (March 2019) and I am having difficulty picking which place to go to. He has requested that it be different than the ones we've done before. Husband wants to lay on the beach and read, son wants something more interesting.
Here is where we've been before:
-Beaches T&C- loved not having to think about $ and lots to do and lots of restaurants and oh that beautiful water!!
-the Cove, Atlantis - loved the spacious room and water view!!, loved the water park, loved the junkanoo parade and area with shops and restaurants to hang out, hated having to fight for beach chairs
-Half Moon, Montego Bay - beautiful room, loved riding bikes and going exploring, however it was a bit too calm
-Cancun - stayed in one of those mega resorts - nothing special, felt very manufactured
We would enjoy exploring by boat or golf cart or bicycles. A priority would be to have a room with 2 queen beds that has an oceanfront view. Most places have a king bed and a sofa bed which I do not want nor do I want 2 bedrooms. Would LOVE to see some monkeys or other interesting wildlife. Other ideas for something different would be a villa or a treehouse or a private pool or our own boat for the week, or monkeys in the trees, etc. We do not want to go to T&C or Aruba. Don't want something overly romantic. Budget is around $1000/day unless it is all inclusive.
I have been looking at the Buccaneer (St. Croix), Grand Isle (Exuma), Grand Velas (Riviera Maya), Round Hill (Montego Bay), Windjammer(St. Lucia) and am open to other suggestions.
I know that I am all over the place. Please help me land this plane!! Thanks so much!
Feb 4th, 2019, 05:07 AM

Grand Velas is a big resort and is top notch as far as service and food are concerned. In that area you have the option of exploring ruins, zip lining, etc. If you are interested in monkeys you can schedule a visit to The Jungle Place which is a monkey sanctuary...The Jungle Place - About Us
Feb 4th, 2019, 09:15 AM

Negril would be great for spring break.
Feb 4th, 2019, 10:06 AM

Our family of 5 spent a week at The Buccaneer a few years ago. I also recommended it to a family member and her adult daughter, and they loved it.

We had three oceanfront rooms. Two had two queen beds; one room had one king bed. Beautiful, large rooms with patios overlooking the beach.

The breakfast included is a full spread of hot/cold foods, served in the beautiful open-air dining area. Other restaurants and grills on-site are very nice, as well.

This small-ish, family-owned resort has lots of history. You can join the owner in a weekly walk around the property, combined with an owner's reception every week.

We took a snorkel tour of Buck Island, which picks up right at the Buccaneer's dock.

Take a taxi into town, if you want. Or rent a car for a day, with pickup/dropoff at the Buccaneer, so you can tour the island. It can be done in one day.

The customer service is fabulous at the Buccaneer, and we felt they did not nickel & dime us with exorbitant prices in the gift shop or cafes. I think it would be well under your $1000/day budget.
Feb 4th, 2019, 11:40 AM

Drinking age is 18 in the USVI...
Feb 4th, 2019, 02:37 PM

Is that a good or a bad thing?
Feb 5th, 2019, 03:54 PM

Mexico - but don't stay in a manufactured mega resort! It is a huge, diverse, wonderful country. There is plenty to do besides Cancun.
Feb 7th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! MoBro, the buccaneer sounds great but I'm having trouble getting flights into St. Croix on the right days. And schmerl, I've about decided against Grand Velas mainly because we want a smaller resort but I think the jungle place sounds great! Do you know of any comparable/luxury smaller resorts in that area? Suze, can you suggest something more specific? I agree that I don't want a "manufactured mega resort"! Very few resorts offer 2 queen beds in an oceanfront room and my son is too old for a cot! I really appreciate your help and suggestions!
Feb 8th, 2019, 05:57 AM

Not sure how big it is, but look into the Fairmont Mayacoba.
https://www.fairmont.com/mayakoba-ri...SAAEgJFufD_BwE
Feb 10th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by MoBro View Post
Is that a good or a bad thing?
MoBro: The OP said that the 18 year old wanted "something more interesting" than sitting on a beach. Drinking Bushwhackers might be that for him.
Feb 11th, 2019, 04:07 AM

Not on your list, but what about Puerto Rico? It was not on my list but went a few years ago and was really glad we went. Variety of options - basking on beach but also genuine history, scenery, a rain forest, familiar food but also lots of little Puerto Rican restaurants with amazingly inexpensive food. Really easy since as part of US uses US money, no passport required, no cell phone roaming or other issues. Tourist areas have recovered from hurricane. Non-stop and usually inexpensive flights from east coast US.
Feb 13th, 2019, 04:42 PM

Suze, can you suggest something more specific?

Sure. But what? Where? I can suggest places in Negril Jamaica. I can tell you about the places I've stayed in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, or La Paz, in Mexico.

Does it have to be a "luxury resort"? I don't have any experience with that kind of thing. I stay at local hotels or rent apartments.