Reload this Page >

Ladera - What Can't I Say

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 05:30 AM
Carole

We have just returned from vacationing at Ladera, and everything posted is true. The resort is beautiful and nothing can prepare you once you arrive. We were given Villa C w/pool (absolutely awesome);the grounds are beautiful with a mini garden, and there's a common area where guest can use the internet, watch tv, movies, play games or read one of many books provided. We preferred the seafood dishes at Dasheene, and do bring your own wine or beer, candles, incents, music, lite food or snacks (or buy beer in town). We went to the beach once-talked to local fishermen and shopped at a small craft house off the roadside we're we purchased some great masks carved by the owner. Caribbean dollars are 2.6 to US dollars; its smart to get receipts for expenses to keep a tally of everything that's charged to your room, you pay when you leave. Take calling cards for long distance calls. Soufriere is poor and not much too see. Trucks carrying two to five men seem to be a common sight on the roads so do be careful if choosing to walk outside of Ladera. Pack lite, business casual for dinner only, and take lots of suntan lotion. Weather is heavy rains around 3am or so, then bright sun all day. Just enjoy the natural beauty, and each other as we did, creating your own magic in this hidden paridise. Any specific questions, let me know.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Andrea

We just found information on the Ladera last week and have been strongly considering it for our honeymoon this September. The information on the fodors website seems two-fold. Most people seem to rave about the Ladera, but there are a number that either found the rooms unclean or were disappointed in the food. Having just returned, I'd like your input. Also, did you have a privacy problem without the 4th wall? What about the size of a villa vs. the Deluxe 2 Bdrm. Which did you stay in and do you have any recommendations. I'd like to get as much information as possible. Feel free to email me directly as listed above. Thanks again!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Kay

Andrea: <BR> <BR>I spent my honeymoon at Ladera this past summer. I can tell you that when I was there the rooms were immaculately clean. They come to clean daily unless you ahve your "do not disturb"sign out front by your door. When you do leave the room just stop by the office to tell them the coast is clear to clean your room. Even on your homeymoon you have to get out sometime <BR> <BR>There is no privacy problem wwhat so evert with the 4th wall missing. A human Being would have to have wings to see in the room. <BR> <BR>We ate several times at Dasheene Restaurant and found the food great there. <BR> <BR>We had a 1 bed-room deluxe and found it huge (much larger than most hotel rooms) <BR> <BR>Ladera is paradise!!! <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:35 AM
jeff

Andrea: <BR> <BR>I posted a huge trip report just up from this, so I won't re-bore you with details. You won't be disappointed with Ladera if meet the following 2 conditions: (1) you are not absolutely terrified of any wildlife and (2) you don't mind spending a large portion of your trip at Ladera or the immediate surroundings. <BR> <BR>You will have a few bugs/birds/lizards in your room. I heard one couple that had a very large centipede in their bed. It didn't bother us at all, but I suppose some people don't want to deal with that. And, it is difficult to get anywhere (Castries, the eastern seaboard, etc.) from Ladera (or Anse Chastenet or Jalouise Hilton). Plan on spending most of your time there. <BR> <BR>The food at Dashene is wonderful and the food at the bar is very good, too. The rooms are very clean, however, like I said, you will have some bugs (we had a giant slug, also). Everything is very private.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 09:20 AM
John

I was hoping that one of you could help me with some questions I had about transportation in the area of Ladera. I posted this message on its' own, but unfortunately got no responses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Message: I'm going to Jalousie for my honeymoon and I'm curious about taxi's/transportation in the area. <BR> <BR>I've heard, (a friend was at Jalousie last year), that taxis are ridiculously expensive to get to and from Soufriere, and other nearby places/attractions. I've been told that water taxis are not much better. <BR> <BR>Can anyone give me an idea,(pricewise), of what to expect when traveling in taxis? <BR> <BR>We plan on taking some excursions by ourselves, i.e. unguided. Would it be more more cost effective to rent a car? I've driven in Antigua, and the roads were pretty bad there, is St. Lucia that much worse? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 10:05 AM
jeff

I certainly didn't think taxis were "ridiculously expensive." From Jalouise to Soufriere is probably about $10EC, which is under $5US. And taxis are abundant. Just make sure that you tell them when you want to be picked up. The problem with taxis is that it takes a long time to drive anywhere. From Castries to Soufriere is 1.5-2.5 hours, depending on traffic. So, it is difficult to explore because of time constraints. <BR> <BR>Water taxis are more expensive, but much quicker and more fun. We split with another couple a trip from Anse Chastenet (Ladera had a free water taxi from Soufriere to Anse daily) to Marigot Bay and back. We stopped and snorkeled near Canaries. It was negotiable, and we (all of us, combined) paid close to $100US. <BR> <BR>You could definitely rent a car and get around. The roads stink, but as long as you are somewhat brave you would be fine. The more difficult part is that there are lots of roads and very few signs. Also, it is difficult to figure out where anything is, anyway. And there are lots of cars, so I would think you would have trouble figuring out how to get anywhere. I guess it depends on what you want to do. We were going to rent a car, but decided it was too much trouble. <BR> <BR>What sort of trips were you planning on making?

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 06:44 AM
John

Thanks for your input Jeff, I really appreciate it. <BR> <BR>When I said that I was planning on do some of my own exploring, I had two things in mind. First, we are going to St. Lucia at the same time as Jazzfest. Unfortunately , all of the events are near Castries or on Pigeon Island; we're planning on going at least once. Second, I definitely would love to see the rainforest, the sulfur springs/hot baths, and any other worthy local attractions, but I really don't enjoy being on anybody else's schedule, i.e. cab driver or tour operator. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 12:00 PM
jeff

The Jazzfest sounds very cool. Depending on when you go, the trip will take quite awhile, though. We thought we would do much more exploring, but Ladera was so great that tours of hot springs, etc. seems like a waste once we got there. We talked to several other couples that went to the volcano, etc. and didn't think it was that great. I think you are technically prohibited from doing tours of the rainforest without a guide, actually. Also, if you really want to get out, do a hike to the summit of Gros Piton. It is (allegedly) not too strenuous and takes a couple hours. You will have to get a guide, but it isn't a group thing. <BR> <BR>You could do a water taxi to Castries and back for probably less than $100, but it would have to be during daylight hours, I think.