Reload this Page >

Ladera or Anse Chastanet

Search

Ladera or Anse Chastanet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 07:38 PM
Jill

Ladera or Anse Chastanet

Hi, <BR> <BR>We are going to St. Lucia in December and are trying to decide on either the AC or Ladera. We are being married at the Hyatt and staying there 11/29 - 12/3, then moving on south for the next 5 days. Got any words of wisdom. We'd really appreciate it! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 07:22 AM
lisa

There have been numerous threads on this if you do a search of old posts using the names of the hotels (do two separate searches using each hotel's name). Essentially, the major differences are that (1) Anse Chastanet is on the beach while Ladera is perched high on a hillside overlooking the Caribbean but is about a 15-minute ride down to the beach; (2) Anse Chastanet has about twice as many rooms as Ladera; (3) Ladera has a pool and also has private plunge pools in most of the rooms, Anse Chastanet does not; (4) Anse Chastanet is more physically isolated than Ladera because the roads that lead to it are virtually impassable and the only practical way to access it is via water taxi; (5) due to its location, Ladera has better views than Anse Chastanet in my opinion; (6) while both resorts are pricey, Ladera has some less-expensive rooms than Anse Chastanet does; (7) while neither resort has air conditioning, Ladera may be a little cooler than Anse Chastanet due to its higher elevation -- it gets strong breezes. <BR> <BR>We stayed at Ladera and loved it. We also visited the beach and restaurant at Anse Chastanet two days and enjoyed it very much but were glad we chose Ladera. The food at Ladera's restaurant is outstanding (breakfast is included in the room rates), and the service was wonderful. But what made the place really special were the rooms themselves -- the open-air design and gorgeous views. <BR> <BR>Again, do a search and you'll come up with lots more advice.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 09:45 AM
Kay

Jill: <BR> <BR>I agree totally with what Lisa said. We just got back from our honeymoon on St. Lucia. We stayed 5 nights in a deluxe 1 bedroom at ladera rrom "R" WOW! It was like being present at creation. then we stayed 3 nights at the Hyatt. My trip report is on this forum if you type in the words Ladera and St. Lucia.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 06:31 AM
Jill

Lisa, <BR>Thanks. It was actually your previous postings that has made me start to reconsider. Up until I read them, I was Anse Chastanet all the way. I saw a special on A&E and it was rated as one of the ten most romantic places to have your honeymoon. BUT I have heard so many wondrful things about Ladera, that I think I may have changed my mind. Thanks for the comparison. <BR> <BR>Thanks, too, Kay!

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Deb

Lisa2, Kay, anyone else ! <BR>We are planning a trip to Ladera, and our questions are: <BR>1) What about "bugs" with nature right there in the room with you? And, do we need misquito spray? <BR>2) Is there transportation from the resort to other areas, should we decide to travel around, or do we have to rent a car.....what side of the road do they drive on? <BR>3) Will it be cool in the evenings, enough to require a sweater? And speaking of clothing, is there a dress code for meals at the restaurant...slacks, dresses, etc.? <BR> <BR>We will really appreciate your input SOON !! We want to fly away in 2 to 3 weeks ! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 04:42 AM
Kay

Hi Deb <BR> <BR>1. We only saw a few really cute geckos out on the patio. We did see a few moths way up by the lights at night. They had OFF in the room but we never used it. We never saw any mosquitos. We did use the netting at night but ony because we thought it was romantic. WE did see some bats flying around at night after bugs and thought that ws really cool. They never came close to us. <BR> <BR>2. As for transportation. If you read my tirp report you saw that we rented a jeep as my hysband wanted to drive around and not be dependent on cabs. But most people are not comfortable with this and do use taxi. I head great things about the taxi drivers on teh island. Again if you read the report you saw that there are several things to go see at that end of the island. <BR> <BR>3. At night I wore sundresses or nice walking shorts and tops. I never did wear swimsuits to restuarnts at lunch as I don't like doing that sort of thing without a nice coverup on. But dress is very casual everwhere on the island. Do go to BAng between the Pitons on Wed. for their floor show. Dinner at the Pier restaurant at the Hilton was nice too. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you have any other questions.