Search

Just wondering...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:54 AM
xxx

Just wondering...

Now, don't get angry at me... this is just an observation. I have been visiting this board for about a year now. I have noticed that many questions go unanswered or with only one or two responses. I also noticed that people will post many very similar questions with hardly any responses either. So, questions fall very quickly to the bottom of the pile and no one has said much about anything. Yes, I have posted a question or two without getting any info back. Do the people who visit here have much experience visiting the Caribbean? Maybe there just aren't as many people here as, for example, at the Europe board. Now, remember, I'm just curious about this so don't tell me to go back to Europe or make some other nasty remarks. Thanks for any insights concerning this observation.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:55 AM
x

I couldn't agree with you more

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:59 AM
willow

I agree as well. It seems that the most controversial topics get the most attention just so people can argue and put each other down. I thought this was supposed to be a venue for for travelers who have valid questions to ask and valid opinions to post.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Mary

It may be because many questions were asked and answered in the past. People just may be tired of answering the same questions, over and over again, when they can be easily accessed in the archives. Just a thought.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Anon

I have to disagree.....I have posted many a dull question on this board and have gotten all the answers I need. By the meaning of dull I mean nothing controversial. I think a lot has to do with the haeading of your question, the only reason I clicked on "Just Wondering" is because it had some responses, otherwise I would have just skipped over it.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:45 AM
sue

<BR>I agree too. But it's not really fair if you think about it. I mean, I was trying to plan my very first trip to the caribbean which happened to be my honeymoon, and I barely got responses. Maybe people just like a little controversy.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Duh

You all are right!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:11 PM
nan

There is CONSIDERABLY less traffic at this board than the US and Euro boards.<BR>Why? I'd suspect because overall there are fewer travellers to the Caribbean than to Europe, and more local travellers in the US.<BR>Pretty simple.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:16 PM
KATE

Or people just don't have an answer to your question..not every single villa or hotel in the caribbean has been visited by those who frequent this site.<BR>Someone a couple of weeks ago asked about a villa and no one responded and she kept posting asking why no one responded..I assumed no one every heard of the villa.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Patty

1) I think it has to do with the title and wording of the questions. Some of them are just too vague and it would take too long to list all of the possibilities, i.e. What's the best island? (without listing any likes or dislikes) <BR><BR>2) Certain questions have been asked and answered over and over on this board. <BR><BR>I try to answer very specific questions but if something is too general or has been asked over and over, I don't bother.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:35 PM
answer

many people find answers on much more informative boards where there is not the discord and people waiting to attack an opinion. this board's reputation for information on the islands is not a good one.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:00 PM
kim

Answer, would you please tell us where these more informative boards can be found?<BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:52 PM
fabila

Depends on where you want to go. For Aruba visit www.visitaruba.com. For St. Martin, Caymans, British Virgin Islands and other islands there is www.traveltalkonline.com for Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Dominican Republic you have www.playaguide.com. <BR><BR>I usually use some of the major search engines and type in the country I wish to visit along with the words "message board" or "forums" and find active boards. Also the carib-on-line boards are active.<BR><BR>Google.com; Yahoo.com; Excite.com; Infoseek.go.com; Mamma.com; askjeeves.com; dogpile.com to name a few I use.<BR><BR>Hope that helps.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Sally

I would like to add that there is a very informative board on Anguilla at the Caribbean-On-Line forum. I found a lot of very helpful answers there to my questions about my first trip to Anguilla. People on this board have been helpful as well! But I have also noticed there are some nasty, hateful people on this board, unfortunately.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 03:07 AM
diann

I think this can me an informative way of finding out answers to our travels. I have also found there are more people on fodors ready to criticize, debate, become actually quite nasty, put the other person down syndrome, than any other travel forum. I don't think it is appropriate and I am not sure why it is allowed. When this happens to me I usually choose to just "turn the other cheek." I do not repond at all.