Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just returned St. John camping ---any questions ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 04:52 AM
charlie

I've just returned from two weeks of camping on St. John and would be glad to answer any questions if I can .

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 11:53 AM
Leslie

Did you stay at Cinnamon Camp Grounds? I 've just recently run across info on this place -looks interesting. Did you tent or cottage it? Are the grounds breathtaking or just your average sites? Seaside grounds? What are restaurants/food like? What do you think about 1/2wk there and then 1/2 wk in nice, cushy hotel? Did you try underwater snorkeling trails?

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 03:26 AM
charlie

Hi Leslie , no I did'nt stay at Cinnamon I stayed at Maho Bay Camps. I did visit Cinnamon a few times during my stay and it is a nice place with a great beach.As you probably know they have bare sites,fully equipted sites and cottages(hard to get without advanced planning).All sites are within a two minute walk of the beach and are on mostly flat ground. I only had lunch there (hot dog,hamburger,fish sandwich etc.etc.)so I can't tell you what the dinners are like but lunch are ok,I suspect all meals are fairly good as the camp ground is managed by the same company that manages Canneel Bay Resort.I did'nt try the underwater snorkeling trails as I've been there before and have some other spots that I snorkel.There are a number of good local restaurants on the island but you need a car ($300-$360 a week).If you're only going for 1 week I would'nt waste a day moving from the camp ground to a cushy hotel I'd stay in one or the other. Have a good trip !!

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 04:06 AM
PJ

We are planning a trip (to St. John) for November and we are trying to decide between a five day or a seven day stay. We plan to stay at the Westin. <BR> <BR>Do you think there is enough to do to warrant seven days? . . . or would five day suffice? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your offer of help. <BR> <BR>PJ

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 04:29 AM
Patrick

In response to the people who are staying at the Wetin- there is a lot to do on St. John if you like beaches and water sports-night life is limited.

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 03:37 AM
Donna F

I'm jealous. Not sure when we'll return to Maho but we've been several times. In reply to people staying at Westin - If you like nightlife 5 days is probably enough (there's not much on St John) but if you like snorkeling and exploring we found 10 days wasn't enough. We loved Hamilton's Tour of the Island, any of the park ranger lectures, snorkeling is great most places. Trunk Bay underwater trail is lovely but too crowded. We also spent a day on St. Thomas (back before the aquarium was ruined by the hurricane) and liked Tortola a lot where we also took a day tour. I like to look at every interesting plant and we used to feed the hermit crabs apple cores. The lobsters are great and so are the pate sandwiches. It's a wonderful place to picnic and explore. <BR>