Reload this Page >

Just returned from st. john

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 07:47 AM
Rachael

Hi! This forum has been so helpful to me that I'd just like to return the favor. Anyone that has any questions about st. john, please don't hesitate to e-mail me or post it here. Thank you so much!

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 07:49 AM
Jim

Rachael, were the jellyfish still a problem? Where did you stay? <BR> <BR>- Jim

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Rachael

Jim-I am a complete phobic of jellyfish, and I can honestly say that there were not many problems at all. We heard taht there were some at Caneel, but we didn't go there. We went on a sailing/snorkeling trip, and there were quite a few out near St. Thomas, but our captain said that they didn't sting. I was still scared, and one even brushed up against me, but not sting, true to his word.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 10:01 AM
Peyton

Rachael, <BR>Thank-you for taking questions. We are traveling to St. John for the first time in Feb. of next year. We rented a villa called the Estate Dannebrog on Bordeaux Mt. Did you get a chance to see that area? I understand that it is off the beaten path, but will it really be that difficult to drive in and out of-as far as being extremely steep, unpaved, etc.? How was driving overall? Also, any recommendations on day trips- Virgin Gorda? Tortola? Would appreciate any tips that you can pass along about the ins and outs of the island. Thank-you!!!

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 12:38 PM
Kyle

Hi Rachael, I will be going on my honeymoon next summer exactly at the time you were there and i wanted to know if it was unbearably hot. Would you recommend any places to stay, we've looked at Caneel and Gallows Point Suites so far. Thanks!

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 02:37 PM
Rachael

You're welcome! <BR> <BR>Peyton-Bordeax Mtn. is really beautiful, with breathtaking views all around, and yes it is quite off the beaten path. Yet you must understand that anything that isn't right in town is off the beaten path. Nobody had informed us of the condition of the roads and they took us by surprise. Everything, even the "main" road, is extremely steep, curvy, and has dirt parts of it. Lots of blind turns, etc. For you it will take anywhere between 15-30 mins. to travel from where you are staying and to Cruz Bay, depending on which part of the mtn. It's not all that bad, you get used to it, and it's always an adventure. Be sure to rent a 4WD (I think that's all they rent out) and use the 4WD often enough, and you'll manage fine. <BR>As far as day trips go, we didn't get anywhere. We felt there was too much to see and do right on St. John that we didn't get off the island, except for my mom and another went to St. Thomas to shop while we sailed one day. The prices are truly unbelievable, and you can get some great deals on liquer, jewelry, clothing, etc. Originally, I wanted to see Virgin Gorda for the Baths, but that idea vanished when I stepped on the island. Have a nice time! <BR> <BR>Kyle-Where do you live? It all depends on how hot is really hot to you. We live in the NE, where there is an excessive drought right now, and St. John, to me, was pretty hot. Not unbearable, but enough to complain about. That, along with the no-see-ums (some very hungry bugs) were the only things I could truly complain about on my trip. I don't know if either Gallows Hill or Caneel or the Westin are air conditioned, but which ever one is, take it! We rented a villa, no a/c, just fans, and we slept with VERY light clothing on, no sheets, nothing. Keep some ice water ready at all times. If you consider renting a villa, get one with a/c, the extra cost is worth it. As far as the Caneel/Gallows Point decision, I believe I would stay at Gallows Point. You can walk to town, and they have a fairly nice view. Trust me, you want to be close to town. Caneel is a bit away, but the Westin is close. It's up to you. Whatever you decide, bring lots of bug spray, we had a hard time finding any on the island, and lots of suntan lotion. Have fun! <BR> <BR> <BR> Author: Kyle ([email protected]) <BR> Date: 8/06/1999, 4:38 pm ET <BR> <BR> Message: Hi Rachael, I will be going on my honeymoon next summer exactly <BR> at the time you were there and i wanted to know if it was unbearably hot. <BR> Would you recommend any places to stay, we've looked at Caneel and <BR> Gallows Point Suites so far. Thanks!

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 07:55 AM
Cheryl

Message:Rachael,my family is staying at the Westin for 6 days in December. We plan to eat out each night.We want to snorkel, see the National Park, maybe even sail to the BVI(Anegada). There will be 6 or 7 of us.Do we need to rent a car? We have found a van (I'm not sure it has 4WD)that will seat all of us,but it costs $500!Thanks so much.

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 12:17 PM
Rachael

Cheryl--We took a mini-tour of the Westin (all 7 of us) and it looked very nice. It is about 2-3 minutes away from town, the road isn't even bumpy, it's paved. So eating out will be more than convenient. Eating is not cheap there. My favorite restaurant, although expensive, was Paradiso. Everything was gourmet, down to the crust on the bread. Everything is superbly prepared, service is friendly. Also expensive but worth it is Asolare, an Asian restaurant. The food is not quite as spectacular, but the veiw is incredible. You can see St. Thomas's lights and it's breathtaking. On the moderate side is the Fish Trap and Cafe Roma. I didn't particulary like the Fish Trap, but the food was pretty good nonetheless. A little overpriced. Cafe Roma is GREAT Italian, basic to gourmet, and it's really very good. On the cheap side, but by far the second best eating on the island, is Uncle Joe's. It's a BBQ stand on the sidewalk across from the post office. It is truly teh best BBQ you will ever get. VERY cheap. For lunch, I recommend you pack sandwiches from the Mongoose Deli in Mongoose Junction. Across from Joe's is a smoothie stand. Get one at least once, you won't regret it. Everything's freshly prepared. For snorkeling, I recommend Cinnamon, Salt Pond, Lime Tree Cove (see the national park map) most anything on the East Shore, heard Waterlemon is nice. But the best snorkeling was when we took a sailing daytrip around St. John. We went out on the Herrindale, with a very experienced captain, and nice crew. SUPERB snorkeling. So much to do on St. John, I wouldn't recommend going to the BVI, you'd miss a lot. There were also 7 of us, we rented a Montero, but it was crowded. If you are two separate families, I recommend you get 2 separate cars. The Montero was $430 with a discount, but it was tight and hot. Hope you ahve anice time. E-mial me with more questions if the need be. Have a nice time!

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 09:23 AM
Kyle

Thanks so much Rachael,that's just what I wanted to know. I'm from Boston and want it to be warm but comfortable since it's our honeymoon. How long did it take you to get there for New England?

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 04:21 PM
Rachael

Kyle-It took 5 1/2- 6 1/2 hrs. from Philadelphia airport. It was a 4 1/2 hr. plane ride to st. thomas, via san juan, then ridign over hill and dale to Red Hook for the Ferry, then driving to the house. Hope this can be of help?..... Have fuN!

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 11:59 AM
barry

Hi, <BR> <BR>Great info. I will be in st thomas next week. What do you mean by the bugs. Are they so bad we should reconsider our trip there? Do you have any info on st thomas you could share?

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 12:35 PM
Rachael

Barry- Yes, the bugs are completely horrific, but it should not stop you from enjoying your trip. My advice to you is to bring LOTS of bug spray, apply at all times, keep cool, and you'll still end up with a ton of bug bites, but something so trivial cannot ruin a vacation to the Caribbean. Snorkeling is terrific at St. John, I'm not so sure about St. Thomas. Taking a boat ovcer to St. John is a good idea. St. Thomas is more like Miami, with lots of hotels, shopping, restaurants, more examples of an Americanized island. I got a locket at St. Thomas that was more than 50% off the already duty-free price, you just have to bargain. Besides taht, I really don't know much about St. Thomas. Thanks for posting. Have a great time.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 06:35 AM
Dale

Rachael,what is your opinion of getting a villa with or w/o air conditioning on St John in June? Most villas seem to be "cooled by tradewinds" that I have researched. Being from Tennessee and usually vacation in Florida, I find it difficult to imagine a comfortable vacation w/o a/c. I have been to the Caribbean before (once on a cruise and once to the Bahamas)---it was HOT.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 04:26 PM
Jim

Dale, I've been to St. John seven times. Always in June or July, always at a private villa, and always with no A/C. Most of the time, it is extremely comfortable (even needed blankets at night sometimes). The only time you might be uncomfortable is in the mid-late afternoon, but then only if the villa is facing west. The sunsets more than make up for it, though. <BR> <BR>- Jim

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 08:30 AM
Karen

Check the location of the villa ... if it does get the tradewinds, you will probably be more than comfortable! If not, an you are used to a/c, you will not be! I have never used a/c on St. Thomas or St. John (or any other island, either ... If I wanted to be cold, I could stay home! LOL) but am fortunate enuf to know to pick the right locations!

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 04:46 PM
Rachael

HI everybody! Sorry it's taken me this long to reply, but i've been off the forum for a while. well, here goes... <BR>Dale- DEFINITELY get a/c....when we went, in july/august, we had a villa with no a/c, and we almost went home early. it was horrible, adn we even caugfht some breezes along the way, plus ceiling fans.....definitely a/c...have fuN!!!!!

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 01:17 PM
Maria

I've read all your responses with much interest. Thanks to all for the great information. <BR> <BR>We'll be going to St. John for the first time, for a one week stay in February 2000. We'll be staying at the Westin. <BR> <BR>I still have a couple of questions, if anyone can answer them. Do we need to rent a car for our entire stay? What's the cost of taxis? Are they easily available? Are they reliable? We'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 04:55 AM
Karen

The taxis are readily available and can be waved down on the road if you are out and about on the island while others are in Cruz Bay by the ferry dock and in parking lots of popular stops. Since you will want to go to other beaches (the Westin's is far from the nicest on the island), dine around the island and just explore, you might want to think about renting a car. Driving is not the easiest (many unimproved roads, narrow, lots of switchbacks and blind spots ... use your horn) but the taxi fares a couple of times a day can add up quickly! The bus runs hourly between Cruz Bay and Coral Bay ($1 pp). It's $2.50 pp between Cruz Bay and the Westin and around $15 to Trunk Bay from Cruz Bay. You can see the taxi rates in "St. Thomas/St. John This Week" (the yellow book you pick up in the airport) or @ http://www.st-thomas.com/week/

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 06:22 AM
Claudine

Hi Rachel, <BR>My husband & I will be going to St. John on 12/30 and will be staying at the Westin. How are the ferry rides from St. Thomas to St. John? I believe there are two ferry services? Are they safe? Also if we wanted to rent a car do we rent one once in the island or before getting there? We'd appreciate any input. Thank.

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 11:05 AM
Jim

Claudine, there are two ferrys to Cruz Bay (St. John). One is from Red Hook (on the far eastern end of St. Thomas), takes about 15-20 minutes and is $3PP. The other is from Charlotte Amalie and is $7PP (I think), and takes about 45 minutes. Both are very safe, but I'd take the one from Red Hook....15 minutes just seems like the right amount of time to be on a ferry. <BR> <BR>Plenty of places to rent jeeps in St. John - I would rent one there, especially if you are going to be there all week. Some people on this forum disagree with me, but I think a jeep is an absolute must have on the island. Yes, taxi's can take you most places (not all places), but how many taxi's are going to take you to Vie's snack shack, or Leinster Bay? Answer: none. You are probably spending a lot of money to go at that time of year, and I would not hesitate to spend just a bit more for a jeep. Ooh. Sounds like I'm preaching -- sorry! - Jim. <BR> <BR>