Just returned from paradise - Grenada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new at this trip report stuff so bear with me. We found this forum and the Grenada Travel Forum invaluable when making our holiday plans and would like to thank all contributors for swaying us to this lovely island.

As several folks have said this island is a relatively undiscovered gem. I am surprised that there are not loads of postings in praise of Grenada now that I have been there. Having visited many of the other Caribbean islands I feel I have a pretty good base for comparison. On the other hand I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. We were tired of visiting islands which have strings of hotels, shops, restaurants, overrun with tourists and have lost much of their charm. Over the past decade we have seen islands we once liked become overdeveloped and were beginning to think the Caribbean was no longer for us. Grenada changed that!

The Caribbean is alive and well in Grenada. We both said on numerous occasions this is how it should be - beautiful, friendly, slow in pace and not completely geared to tourism. While I do realize that we were there in June, which is not a popular travel month and therefore less tourism, it was also obvious that there would not be mass amounts of tourits at any time.

Our choice of resort, Bel Air Plantation, was also motivated by comments here and on other forums. Could not have made a better choice, we were in heaven from the moment we arrived. The resort is a small collection of individual villas perched on a hillside overlooking a lovely bay and the sea. The staff welcomed us with genuine hospitality and warmth. The accommodation was superb! From the first moment we knew this was going to be one of the best vacations in years and our assumption was right. The feel of the resort is a combination of laid back and first class. Hard to achieve but they have managed to do it. The restaurant is outstanding, staff very accommodating and personal touches are everywhere.

As I sit and write this I wish I was there now. Great country - great resort - incredible week!

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:45 AM

We are headed to Gredada in late January, so I would appreciate any insights. I'm having a hard time finding tourist/guide books for the island for advance planning. Any suggestions? We are staying at the Coyaba on Grand Anse because I wanted to be within walking distance of beach and shopping. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 12:16 PM

For Kay If you go into the Grenada tourism site & email them they will forward you lots of interesting literature.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Tell us more about Bel Air Plantation! We are thinking of staying there this fall. Is the hill steep where the cottages are located; would we need a car? How was the restaurant?
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Where did you fly from and how long did it take? Almost went there last year--may need to look into it again!
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM

I was there several times for the day on a cruise. I know we went to a park where there were monkeys in trees. They were in the wild. They would come down and eat bananas from the guides hands. Very cute and interesting place. The people are lovely, so warm and friendly. I would love to stay a week there myself.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

scubamom

First - great name - what does it signify?

To answer your questions, the walk up the hill to the villas is somewhat steep but on a meandering path and presented no problem to us. A person with mobility problems could have difficulty but for the average person it would be just fine.

The restaurant is ourstanding. The chef is local but from what I understand had training in Canada. The food is Caribbean in style but with more of a contemporary feel. The presentation was superb. Every meal we had was great and on most occasions he came to our table to either suggest special dishes or to ask how we liked our meal. Very personalized service and really genuine.

I would rent a car, not just staying at Bel Air Plantation, but staying anywhere on the island. Without the advantage of a independant travel you will miss out on lots to see. We first had an island tour then set about exploring for ourselves. Found it to be an adventure and discovered lots of interesting things along with meeting great local folks.

Bel Air Plantation is truly a wonderful small resort which I would recommend without hesitation.From the quality of the accommodation to the level of service to the beauty of the setting - all in all just perfect!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Missed the other questions, so here are my replies.

We flew from Montreal to Philadelphia and then directly to Grenada. From Montreal it was 2 hours and from Philadelphia about 4 1/2. We arrived in the early afteroon. The other option was via Kennedy Airport in NY. The Philadelphia schedule worked better for us.

Flights were great and we had no problems.

I can't answer about guide books but did read quite a lot about Grenada on the Grenada Travel Forum. The island is just spectacular. I would rent a car at least for a day or two and explore the island. You will probably get lost, but it is a small island and getting lost is half the fun. Try the restaurant at Bel Air Plantation - just great.