Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just returned from 8-day stay on St. John. Will be happy to attempt to answer any questions.

Search

Just returned from 8-day stay on St. John. Will be happy to attempt to answer any questions.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Jim

Returned home 03/06. Stayed in a rented villa overlooking Pillsbury Sound. Best vacation ever! Had a rented car and explored the whole island. Tried a few of the restaurants but mostly ate in (our view was so spectacular we didn't want to leave it). Did one day-trip to Tortola and another to St. Thomas for shopping. Will try to answer any related questiona you might have. Try me!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 08:32 PM
ezron

Which villa??

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 04:23 AM
terri

How important was the rental car? Is it possible to get around St. John without one? Also, what are some musts- we are going next month for 5 days and would like some ideas of things that we just shouldn't miss.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 11:29 AM
kathy

Your trip sounds great. 3 couples traveling 2/02,planning to rent a villa. We all love to beach. Looking for the best beaches and would like to know if any have beach chairs to rent? How about transportation from airport to villa? Are there any services to help us out? We plan to rent a 4-wheel drive on St. John. Interested in great restaurants, outdoors with great views. <BR>Any info greatly appreciated! <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Jim

We stayed at a villa named Serenity...was rented through CaterTo (www.cateredto.com)They were great to work with. Seemed eager to make sure things went well. Would use them again. The area between Great Cruz Bay and Chocalate Hole has great views and not too far out of town.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Jim

To Terri: Rent a car...you won't regret it...it's not as hard as it may seem. About $60 / day and there is a multitude of places to rent from.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Jim

To Terri (again) and Kathy: North shore beaches are stunning. All of them are lovely although you should get there early as parking is limited. You may opt for a taxi for this. Day trips to other islands are fun too. If you have a car, drive to the east end and see the scenery. Tiny restautants dot the area. Kathy, i'm not sure about beach chairs but our villa rental company did provide us with chairs and towels with the rental. We contracted airpirt transfers through our rental company (at added expense) They transfered us from the airport to the ferry at Red Hook (also handled the baggage) The ferry was $3 and they handled our baggage as well. Were met at the dock in Cruz Bay by the rental company and they transfered us to the car rental company and then to the villa. Veryy smooth, no problems. As for restaurants, I can recommend Lime Inn and Stone Terrace in Cruz Bay. And for the adventurous, Shipwreck Landing in Coral Bay (an interesting drive to get there). Restaurants are very tiny and advertising always seems to make them appear grander than they really are. But they do have good food food for the most part.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:30 PM
hale

I would like to know if it would be ok to take along my dogs there. Charlie and Willie would like to go along next time.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Hollie

Am heading this way for a 5-day stretch at the end of the month. How was the day trip to Tortola? Worth the trip or would you stay on St John? How difficult to get there? What was your fav restaurant or hangout? Can't wait - sounds spectacular. Chose to stay at the Westin Grand Cruz Bay. Thoughts? <BR>Thx!!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Karen

Hollie, <BR>You are only going to be on St. John for five days so stay put and enjoy the wonderful island and beaches there. Getting to Tortola is easy via public ferry but imo your time would be better spent right where you are!! Tortola is nice and it is a great place to go and take a jeep tour but the beaches don't hold a candle to St. John! Some people prefer heading to Virgin Gorda and the Baths for something different! Maybe do a snorkle cruise instead and hit some of those beaches that are unaccessable by land - or rent a dinghy and explore on your own!! Try to call and see if Vie's is open for lunch - one of my favorite spots for home cookin' and then a swim at her "private" beach! Favorite restaurant is Dining with Andre and Cafe Wahoo (okay, so I can't count!).

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:00 PM
Annie

Hi, Jim. <BR>My fiance and I are getting married in St John in May 2001. We are bringing a dozen guests with us. We haven't picked the site for the ceremony yet (a morning wedding with a daysail to follow), but are considering Cinnamon Bay and Hawksnest Bay? Did you get a chance to visit those beaches? Any other suggestions for a nice place on the island? Thanks.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Tedd

Can anyone tell me the logistics (car/ferry cost/time) of getting from St. Thomas airport to St. John? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Jim

To Hale: I'm sure Charlie and Willie would have great time chasing goats chickens and wild donkeys around the island...why not! <BR> <BR>To Hollie: I agree with Karen. Stay on St John and daytrip to Tortola. Ferry schedules are well advertised and there are plenty of small private charters that can be got as well. Ferry to Tortola was $35 round trip. Ticket office is in the parking lot near U.S. Parks offices. It's a beautiful ride. As for hangouts...Duffy's Love Shack in downtown Cruz Bay is cool for drinks and such. We liked Lime Inn for Dinner. Stone Terrace is good as well. Westin is nice and I suppose that's probably where I'd choose to stay if I was going the resort route. Only other choice is Caneel Bay resort. It looked nice and is greatly perferred by most that post here, but since I have not stayed in either, I cannot recommend. <BR> <BR>To Annie: Congratulations on your upcoming event! Everyone will have a great time. All the beaches are lovely and any would be fine. However I find them a bit too touristy and not vey private for a wedding. You might want to check with the Westin or Caneel Bay Resorts. I know they have private areas made specifically for these types of events and they are in very beautiful private outdoor settings. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you will have a great time. As for accomodations, I recommend villas...maybe one for the guests and another closeby for the honeymooners. Believe it or not, it might save money. <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 03:41 AM
kathy

Thanks for all the great info. A friend spoke to someone who had recently been to St. John and they said they found a problem with sand fleas at the beach. Have you experienced this? They also said mosquitoes were a problem. <BR> Thanks

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Karen

They probably are referring to the no see 'ems as well as the mosquiotos. Since St. John is ecologically inclined, many areas do not allow spraying for insects so they can be a problem - even spraying on other islands doesn't "cure" the problem. They are aggressive little buggers that love ankles and legs in the early morn and late afternoon/early evening into the night! When they bite, the bites itch like crazy! If there is a good stiff wind there is not such a problem but if it has been rainy or you are near the water or around folage (even other places than the beach) they can be problematic. The best defense is a good insect repellent and if that fails a good antihistime. If you go to the pharmacy on St. John, they sell a good homemade product, BugOff, or I find Skin so Soft works for me. Others prefer heavy Deet formulas or Off, Cutters, etc. There is also a creme (Goop in the Sunrise Pharmacy in Red Hook, STT - I don't remember what they call it on St. John) that is great! Keep it refrigerated and it works wonders!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:24 PM
Deborah

We were in St. John two years ago. Beautiful beaches. We had a villa overlooking Cruz Bay and found this too noisey for us. You have to have a car. On the beaches, we had problems with flys biting our legs. Bring some bug repellant with you. It is a beautiful place to visit. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 10:52 AM
mcgillicuddy

we are Caneel lovers, but if you are looking for night life, it ain't there. the food is above average, but not St Barth or St Martin level. Caneel's major asset is its beaches, which are facing in several directions, thus always allowing a lee side location. Scott Beach is definitely our favorite, facing St Thomas and the sunset and an almost unending procession of sailboats and power yachts during the day. Snorkeling is a bit above average on Caneel's beaches, the chief advantage being that no boat ride to the snorkeling site is required. There is a wonderful bluff on the edge of the resort looking west towared St Thomas which must be the best location for a wedding imaginable. Good luck.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Angie

Hollie - What a hoot! Looking thru the postings for our upcoming trip and saw your pups, Charlie & Willie. That's our dogs names also. Not labs, by chance?! Have a good trip! Hope the pups get to travel there someday soon. <BR>

Old May 9th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Katy

If you had just one day, what beach would you go to with a 4 year old?

Old May 11th, 2001, 09:05 AM
tracey

Ted - If you are staying at the Westin they will arrange transportation for you from STT to the Westin dock on St. John. $65 pp - worth the money. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -