Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just booked our flights to T&C...now where to stay...

Oct 14th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

There are so many past posts on this subject but I am hoping to get some detailed advice from these great travelers.

We just booked airfare to Provo 1/19 - 1/26. We are a family of 4 and our 2 kids are under 8.

I need to keep pur budget under $3000 for lodging. I see a lot of moderate priced places with kitchens. Sands? Ocean Club? Alexandra? Any others? I see tempting offers of private rentals of timeshare, as well.

My thought is this...We'd like a few days to just relax at the hotel by the pool and beach. A kids club is a bonus but not a deal breaker. We will rent a car and we like to explore, as well. I'd like to take a boat excursion or two to check out the outer islands.

Is their really that much difference between the moderate priced places? I was thinking should we just narrow it down to 2 or 3 and go for the best deal we can find?

Thanks for taking the time to help!
Oct 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM

I would go with the best deal you can find. All of the listed resorts are great for families. One thing to keep in mind is the timeshares at the Alexandra if you can get one, are all ocean front units with great views as long as you are on floor two or above.
Oct 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I can vouch for The Sands. We had a 2-bedroom/2-bathroom unit that was lovely. I understand all of the units have either been updated or are currently being updated - new counters, appliances, bedding. I can't wait to return!
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:53 PM

i can't recall which but either sands or royal west indies have screened in decks on the units. i would like this.

beaches is only resort with kids club but it's very pricey. many families choose sands, rwi or ocean club or oc west. i think your kids will find playmates quickly.

i suggest you take one of the excursions to middle caicos to go to the caves. kids will love it. be sure to take mega water, hats and put kids in t's they can swim (in addition to tons of sunblock) in as it's a long day in the full sun. the caves on are mudjin harbor beach which is gorgeous. i hear if you ask there is a lady who makes baskets and they will take you to her house/shop.
when you go driving go see chalk sound. the color is unbelievable. on the chalk sound road about a 1/4 mile in is a tiny sand road on your left into sopadilla bay beach - just before a villa called la koubba. very pretty spot. a bit further down you'll see sign for ocean point villas on your left. go up it until you see another tiny sand road on right, blocked off with boulders- just before pavement starts. park. walk to taylor bay beach. very shallow - kids will love it, and has softest sand on the island. if you go further up chalk sound road you'll find lots of cool houses to look at but nothing else.
if you have 4 wheel drive go out to malcolm road beach. about 300 yds out the reef wall drops off about 7000' and the difference in water color is really dramatic. close to shore is tourquoise then goes to deep blue almost as if a line had been drawn.

you will want to go to tiki hut one night. by the harbor with all kinds of boats to watch. seating out doors. they love kids and it's reasonably priced.
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:23 PM

The Sands has screened in porches on 2nd and 3rd floor units. I don't believe the 1st floor units are screened, just patios, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Oct 14th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Yes, they all have screened in balconys. Its a nice plus
Oct 15th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Virginia: I appreciate the suggestions. These are the exact things I like to hear from others who have already been there. The caves sound like a good trip for the kids. Do you have any other suggestions? How's the conch farm?
Oct 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM

ohhhh trixie, the conch farm is a hoot. tour takes about 45 mins. this is not an exciting tour, but it is interesting. basically you'll see conch in about 5 sizes. at the end they'll introduce to the 2 resident full grown conchs and give you a piece of information that will make your husband very jealous. i will not spoil the surprise. you should be sure to look at the conch pearls in the lobby. they are way pricy but gorgeous!

natiquesports.com offers wakeboarding, waterskiing and tubing.
i believe the full moon is on jan 22. as such you should be able to go on a glow worm tour: http://www.silverdeep.com/fishing/Glow%20Worms.htm
i have not done this but best friend has and said it was a majical and unforgettable experience.
these ppl offer banana boat rides: http://www.captainmarvinsparasail.com/
and this might be a ton of fun for the kids : http://www.captainmarvinsparasail.com/

and maybe take a puzzle or game for them to do at night or if it rains for an hour.
Oct 15th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Hi Trixie, we brought our then-7 year old to Ocean Club last year and loved it; very easy resort with kids; she went to the movie night one night and we went out to dinner (there are great restaurants in T&C); give Ocean Club a call, their reservations staff is in Delaware and they couldn't have been nicer and more helpful; our package included vouchers for meals which was great. The food at the resort was really good and the beach is amazing.

Hope this helps,

Mary in D.C.

Oct 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mary - Did you stay at the OC West? What's the main difference of the two locations? Would you recommend one over the other?
Oct 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Regarding the difference between Ocean Club and OCW, I'd say the main difference is age of the property and location. OCW is newer and more centrally located on Grace Bay, so I would probably give it a slight edge. They do run a shuttle between the two properties, which are probably about a mile or a little farther apart, and guests can use the facilities at either resort. Construction is the other thing to consider. When I was in Provo last April/May (I stayed at RWI), there was construction near OCW but not near OC, but of cource, that can change.

Overall, I liked the Sands a little better than either OC, but I think that all the properties discussed in the post are pretty comparable and would consider price differences too.
Oct 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Hi Trixie, we stayed at East and liked it better because it is less crowded at that end (one resort, The Tuscany is next door, but it is a very quiet place and the rest of the beach--for now is undeveloped); we ate breakfast a couple of times at West just to have a walk before breakfast and actually liked our poolside restaurant a little better. Our room was great, not fancy, but perfectly nice--which is perfect when your kids are young.

If we go back, which we will probably do, we will stay at East again. The two properties are an easy beach walk apart or there is a on-demand shuttle.

We went to the Sands one night for dinner, it was just okay (T & C has great restaurants in general) and found it much busier than Ocean Club.

Mary
Oct 18th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Have you considered the Turks and Caicos Club? We are going back in January and they were offering their summer rates in January. I think the special is over, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if they'd offer their 2-bedroom oceanfront for their summer rate as an extension.
Oct 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Panda;

Thanks for the tip. I just sent them an email asking for the rate. Did you book recently?

Thanks again.