Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just back Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar/Cerramar/Dorado in PR -- Happy to answer questions!

Search

Just back Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar/Cerramar/Dorado in PR -- Happy to answer questions!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:16 AM
eileen

Just got back from a fantastic week at Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar. We are owners there and this was our first time using our week. We have two children, ages 5 and 10 and this was a great place for them, Hyatt does a great job making the place family friendly, my kids liked the evening Camp Hyatt program so much they wanted to go back every night! Also, all restaurants have a really inexpensive kids menu -- only $2 or $3 for a kids meal. Since we are owners, we were ready to complain if we didn't feel things were up to snuff but there wasn't much to complain about. Also spent lots of time at Hyatt Cerramar and Dorado so happy to answer questions. Anyone looking for a great family vacation, this is it!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Jim

I'm not familiar with Hacienda del Mar, but it sounds similar to the Villas at the Westin Rio Mar. If so, I could see the appeal of having a larger space with cooking facilities. Are you able to use all the hotel's grounds? We stayed at the Westin in the hotel but met some people who were staying at the villas for only a small amount more. Are the villas booked through the hotel or the owners or a real estate agent? <BR><BR>Would like to hear more.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:37 AM
abeloff

Did you have a 1 BR or a 2 BR unit? We are renting a 2 BR next Feb. and we are interested in knowing if the units are spacious enough for a group of four.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Eileen

Regarding renting -- I believe you can call Hyatt directly and see if they are renting any. Also, they have been having introductory offers because they want folks to come and buy a timeshare. If you agree to go to a presentation you may get a discounted rate. Right now they are about 90% sold out for all the units and all the weeks regarding purchasing a unit.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Gail

Three couples will be at Dorado for 5 days in December. Suggestions for restaurants at Cerramar and Dorado and whether worth renting a car for any sightseeing beyond resorts or eating off the premises of hotels. Thanks

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:51 PM
eileen

If you have six people together, I would rent a car as it will cost you $44 per person roundtrip to and from the airport. Also, the excursions from the hotel are expensive. We did not rent a car but we had little kids not interested in excursions so we didn't need to leave the resort -- there were enough restaurant options (at least 5-6 dinner options)and the food was pretty good at all of them. There isn't much in Dorado, a lot of fast food places (we did have delivery from Domino's one night). Su Casa is the best restaurant -- located at Hyatt Dorado. We also liked the Steak Co and Zen Garden at Cerramar.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:51 PM
abeloff

In the town of Dorado, there is a very good restaurant named El Ladrillo -- we have been going there during trips to Cerromar for years, and never had a bad meal -- it specializes in local seafood. An easy drive in a rental car, or a short cab ride from the Hyatt.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Missy

Hi. My husband, 14 year old daughter and I will be staying at the Cerromar in March. Are there things to do in the town of Dorado...restaurants, sights to see? How far is the rain forest? Do you take a cab from the airport or does the Hyatt have a shuttle service? <BR>Thanks, Missy

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:26 PM
s

The hotel does not have a shuttle service. There is a privately operated shuttle service. Suggest you contact hotel for name of the service and cost. Nothing much to see or do in Dorado.Rain forest is at least 50 miles east. The Caves are less than 40 miles west.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:07 AM
John

We are off to the Embassy Suites in Dorado next week. Is Dorado a safe town to be walking to dinner destinations with 3 young children? Are the Hyatt resorts in walking distance from Embassy Suites. I've been told to stay close to the resorts in PR; am I getting some exaggerated concern?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:13 AM
eileen

I will try to answer as many of the above recent ?'s as possible. The shuttle service is Dorado Transport, it is the only game in town and you will pay $44 roundtrip for each kid and adult. When you get to the baggage claim area, there will be folks with signs for the Hyatt or Embassy Suites -- these are the Dorado transport people, no advance reservations needed. I think children 2 and under are free. You cannot walk from the Embassy Suites to the Hyatts, Embassy Suites is basically right in the town of Dorado and the Hyatts are in the resort area. It all seemed very safe to me. Dorado is a small town, but not much there except a few restaurants, a walgreens, fast food outlets etc. I think the rain forest is about 1 hour away. Did I answer them all?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:51 AM
abeloff

Some good restaurants in Dorado (short taxi ride from resorts) include El Ladrillo (varied menu, best of the lot), La Terraza (seafood), Trattoria Gargani and Mangere (both Italian), El Navegante (Cuban, seafood), and El Malecon (simple seafood).

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE READ!!!<BR>Just got back from a 4-night trip to the Hyatt Cerromar/Hacienda del Mar in Puerto Rico. THE WORST TRIP EVER!!!<BR>Room was old &amp; needed upgrading. Bedding was worn. Service was horrible. <BR>No one goes out of there way to help you.<BR>My second day there I ate at the Swan Cafe hotel rest (breakfast) &amp; got violently ill. I was throwing up in the tub while on the toilet bowl w/non-stop #2! I got no sleep &amp; had to stay in the room for two days. When calling for a mop to clean the mess I made on the bathroom floor THREE times, I was shocked to discover that the mop would NEVER come! WE were forced to clean the mess ourselves w/scott towels. On top of this, I begged for many rolls of toilet paper that I would need throughout the night &amp; they claimed they can only give me 2 rolls at a time. They really gave me a hard time about this, even knowing how ill I was! The one day that I got to go out, I played golf at Hyatt Cerromar &amp; wasn't impressed w/course. Last night there, which was one of my only two nights out, it rained &amp; we went into Old San Juan &amp; Condado Plaza. Again wasn't impressed at all. Puerto Rico is very sleezy &amp; unexotic. Wish I had gone to St. Martin or Bahamas instead. Would have enjoyed more &amp; probably would not have gotten sick like I did! Save your money &amp; go somewhere else!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Did nycgirl stay in the hotel or the time share building ? Concerned because we're renting a 2BR unit in the time share for week in Feb. 2003.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:15 PM

I am going to the hacienda del mar with my husband and three children 6, 8 and 11 in april. How far is the cerromar from the hacienda del mar? can we use the kids club? what are the best places to eat? should we rent a car and we are staying on the 6th floor - is that good or bad. would REALLY appreciate any info
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:02 AM

Hi. Hacienda Del Mar is actually part of the Cerramar complex so the beach, pool, everything is right there. The sixth floor is a great location as you will have a wonderful view (lower floors are sometimes obstructed by foliage). As a Hacienda Del Mar guest, you enjoy all the same privileges as the other guests -- including kids club, charging privileges, concierge services, etc. etc. If you are going with three children, you probably should rent a car, because the shuttle will cost you $44 per person roundtrip from the airport. And Dorado has some casual places as well as familiar ones such as pizza hut, etc. However, don't worry about the resort restaurants being really expensive for kids -- all of them offer kids meals and they are really reasonably priced -- about $3 - 5. My kids loved the kids club -- they begged to go every night! They will have a great time, it is really paradise for kids.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Hi and will be visiting Puerto Rico for the first time for 3 days prior to a Celebrity cruise. My husband is a &quot;huge&quot; pool fan and we loved the river pool at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio, TX so we'd really love to check out Hyatt Dorado Beach Resorts. But I'm getting some really negative reviews on the Internet of these 2 resorts (dirty rooms, poor service, bad food). We probably will choose the Hyatt Dorado over the Cerromar since we like nicer rooms and more quiet. Is this hotel worth it and exactly how far is the Cerromar from Dorado if we decided to use the pool area, etc. We want to rent a car directly from the airport so we can visit Camuy Cave/El Yungue Rain Forest. Are the roads safe to drive on? Also, any suggestions for hotels in Old San Juan? Does the El Convento live up to all the good reviews?<BR><BR> Thanks and appreciate your opinion....<BR><BR> Gail
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Yes, I know there have been some negative reviews, but we love this property and had a wonderful time both times we have gone there. We are also pretty picky and used to fairly upscale destinations. I think if you choose a beachfront room at Dorado it will be hard to be disappointed. I don't think accomodations at Cerramar or the golf rooms at Dorado are as nice and that's where some complaints have come from. Also, some people don't like the quiet of Dorado -- we love it and the beach there is better for kids than the one at the Cerramar. It is only one mile between the two resorts and a trolley runs regularly, it is easier to use that than drive your car. We first went to Hyatt Dorado in March 99 and loved it and then went back last November (staying at Hacienda Del Mar with our kids) and I still love the &quot;feel&quot; of Dorado. But it obviously is not for everyone.