Reload this Page >

Just Back From Turks & Caicos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:08 AM
scott

By far, the nicest resort on the island is Point Grace. Definitely get a room with an ocean view (and not one of the cottages). While the island is generally quiet (i.e. not much of a night life, but excellent snorkeling and scuba diving), if your idea of a vacation is to get some serious R&R, enjoy some of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean, and swim in turquoise water, you can't go wrong! <BR> <BR>The locals are all very friendly, in fact the rudest people on the island were the tourists. The weather last week (6/30 -7/7) was great. Do not get scared by reports on the internet of rain. Like most Caribbean islands, if it rains, it usually passes over quickly. The most rain we had was the second and third days, for a total of 30 minutes. There is plenty of strong sun, so bring lots of sunscreen. While there were mosquitos (particularly the "no-seeums") we brought a can of OFF with us and never used it. We rented a car for the week (only $250) and found it quite convienent. Our suite was equipped with a full kitchen (including pots, pans, plates, glasses -- everything you could need) so we went to the local supermarket and eat in a few nights. <BR> <BR>We went to the three best restaurants on the island: Grace's Cottage, Anaconda (sp. ?), and Coyaba. While we liked Grace's Cottage the best (food and ambience), Anaconda was a close second. Be prepared to spend about $150 for dinner for two (depending on what wines, etc. you choose to drink). Also, must restaurants include a tax of 9% and service charge of 10% (check your bill). <BR> <BR>The only negative about Point Grace is the service. While everyone was freindly and helpful, it was not 5 star service. But that should not be a deterence, because the property is beautiful and the suites are spectacular. <BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:19 AM
rheianne

sounds absolutely wonderful scott. i was there a year ago the same time as you. the weather was beautiful then, not a hint of rain. i was just thinking about it, wishing desperately that i could go back.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:42 AM
Kathy

I am going to Point Grace in October thanks for all of your advice. We are thrilled -just what we are looking for . Can't wait to check out the resataurants

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:06 PM
anonymous

Those there this Thursday and Friday just might have a little different weather report as Dean sets his course! Let's hope that the predictions are not correct and it is always important to have trip interruption insurance when traveling during the peak of hurricane season!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:13 PM
jackie

How were the rates at Point Grace - I am thinking about going there Dec1-8. <BR> <BR>thanks

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 12:03 PM
sondra

Stay at Grace Bay Club instead of Point Grace.Grace Bay Club is a full luxury hotel with excellent service, superior food and intimate rooms.Point Grace is nice but it is a condo style location and about the same price.