Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just back from St. Thomas/St. John. Questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 12:39 PM
Marcia

Just got back from two weeks in St. Thomas and St. John. We (family of 4) stayed at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, Gallows Point on St. John, and Sapphire Beach Resort. If anyone is interested on my observations, advice, recommendations, please feel free to e-mail me. If possible, I also highly recommend a day trip to the British Virgin Islands. I'd love to share my travel stories.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 04:44 PM
Barb

Hi, <BR>Love to hear about your trip. My husband, daughter and I are leaving Wednesday for St Thomas. It will be our first time on the island and we will be staying at the sapphire beach resort. Can't wait to hear about some of your experiences. Thank you for any tips you can give us. oh by the way did you rent a car?

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 04:47 PM
k

would like to know if grocery shopping is better in st. thomas than st. john.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 08:32 PM
Cathy Schoon

We are planning a trip this coming May to St John. (After a lot of Island research) This will probably be our last family vacation with our sons (ages 21/19/16) so we want it to be pretty special. Our oldest will have just graduated from Purdue univ. and our 2nd son his first year there. We live is rural Indiana and have a small farm. Our family vacation have consisted of yearly whitewater rafting/camping trips. What resort do you think would fit our crew? We thought of a house but it seemed too boring. We would like to get a place on the beach. After taking a poll on what the boys want to do, it sounds like they would be just happy with girls, beach and girls..and fishing.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 08:39 AM
Patrick

If you still like camping there are two campgrounds on St. John-cinammon Bay and Maho Bay - they are very different but both are nice- if you have camped in the northern U. S. you should find camping there very easy-except for the cold showers. Girls can't be guaranteed- The other resorts on St. John-the Westin and Caneel Bay are very expensive or outrageously expensive-there are a lot of nice houses to rent. Have fun.

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 02:25 PM
Victor G

Hi, <BR>My wife and I are planning our 25th. Considering Westin St. John and Gallows Point, as well as Galley Bay on Antigua. We would appreciate any advice and recommendations. <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 07:35 AM
Marcia

Hi to everyone who asked questions about my recent trip to the USVI. It was beautiful, hot, and expensive, and I'd go back in a minute! I'll try to answer your questions briefly: <BR> <BR>Barb: Sapphire Beach Resort was very nice. It's a rather large operation, but service was pretty good. They did give us a pretty crummy room when we first checked in (overlooked pool bar and tables), but they moved us to end unit in building E overlooking marina. Much nicer, and windows on two sides of room instead of one large sliding glass door--rather dark). Be prepared for the Sunday afternoon bar/beach party with live music (great band though). It's really loud and wild. Of course, the fact that the USS Enterprise was docked in the harbor with loads of sailors might have had something to do with it! We rented a car from Avis at the airport. Driving on the left side of the road is exciting, to say the least. Look out for large taxi vans who think they own the road. There are no shoulders on the road, and the roads are quite mountainous and narrow. We returned the rental car with no dents, thank goodness. I would recommend renting a car while at Sapphire because without one your're stuck always eating in their expensive restaurant, and the gift shop/ grocery store is overpriced with little selection. Your own car will just give you more freedom. Oh, I think there is a rental agency on site at Sapphire, Budget I think, so that might be more convenient for you. <BR> <BR>Recommended restaurants include: Guava Terrace at Point Pleasant Resort, Cafe Wahoo in Red Hook, Blue Moon Cafe at Secret Harbour, Hard Rock (just like all the others), and last but not least, Duffy's Love Shack in Red Hook for a fun time. Red Hook is only about a 5 minute car ride from Sapphire, but it's too hilly to walk. <BR> <BR>Message to K: Marina Market in Red Hook was better and larger than Starfish Market on St. John. Prices really high in both places. <BR> <BR>Cathy S: I agree with Patrick in that camping may be the thing for your family. Gallows Point doesn't have a beach, but snorkeling is good. Beaches are conveniently just a few minutes drive away. <BR>Next time I go to St. John, I'm renting a house. You'll have lots more room to spread out, and rentals are plentiful. Most have killer views. Your sons won't have any trouble meeting girls--lots of restaurants and bars. <BR> <BR>Victor: We witnessed a wedding at gazebo at Gallows Point-very romantic. Both Gallows and Westin had gorgeous landscaping. Ellington's restaurant at Gallow's Point was romantic and had excellent food and service. Views from Gallow's Point are outstanding. <BR> <BR>Folks: Hope all this info helps someone. E-mail me personally if I failed to answer your questions sufficiently. <BR> <BR>Marcia

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 05:49 AM
Patrick

Victor-I agree with everything that Marcia said about Gallows Point. The Westin is much larger, you will probably be in a room unless you rent at the adjacent Virgin Grand and there is a nice man made beach at the Westin.The condos at Gallows Point are very Caribbean and very beautiful. You can also walk into Cruz Bay easily from Gallows which you can't do from the Westin-so if you want to have a few drinks at dinner you don't have to worry about making it up Jacob's Ladder (a hill) to get back to the Westin-Gallows would probably be noisier in the morning but this depends on the condo-ocean facing condos would be quieter-the ones that face the harbor would be a lot noiser very early in the morning-there isn't air conditioning at Gallows-at least there wasn't but you really don't need it to keep cool- you might be able to tell that I have a bias against the Westin but your choice depends on personal preference-hope this helps.

Old Sep 9th, 1998, 05:29 PM
Peggy

Marcia, <BR>If you had to recommend one resort which would it be, Secret Harbour or Sapphire Beach? I'm looking for the best beaches & an "islandy" feel to the surrounding. For a couple as a romantic but adventurous getaway. Thanks.

Old Sep 12th, 1998, 01:34 PM
Marcia

Hi, <BR>My wife and I are planning to spend our 25th at Sapphire Beach in Feb. We would appreciate any information or recommendations you can provide, <BR> <BR>Thank you <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 11:04 AM
Vic

Hi, <BR>My wife and I will be staying at the Sapphire for a week in February. It's our 25th anniversary. We would appreciate any information, suggestions, and advice you can provide on the resorts and activities in and around the Virgin Islands - including recommendations for dining <BR> <BR>Thank you <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Deena Haiber

Marcia, <BR> <BR>I was wondering what you thought of the Secret Harbour Beach resort -- my husband and I are staying there at the end of the month, this is our first time in the USVI -- any advice? <BR>Thanks in advance! <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 11:17 AM
Rosemarie

I am going to St. Thomas in March for 4 days, have been there before but have not been to the BVI. How long a trip is it from St. Thomas to BVI and what is the fare? Thanks

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 11:07 AM
Kim Gerber

Hi Marcia, <BR>My husband and I are taking a cruise to St.Thomas/St. John and only have around 6 hours there. What would you make sure that you did in the amount of time. Pleasen respond soon as we are leaving 1-23-99. Thank-You.

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 11:08 AM
Kim Gerber

Hi Marcia, <BR>My husband and I are taking a cruise to St.Thomas/St. John and only have around 6 hours there. What would you make sure that you did in the amount of time. Pleasen respond soon as we are leaving 1-23-99. Thank-You.