just back from St. Lucia

Search

just back from St. Lucia

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just back from St. Lucia

Had a fabulous week with our grown kids at Windjammer Landing. Loved our accommodation (two bedroom suite each with its own bathroom and connected by a staircase) and the food was delicious. If you are planning on going in the near future though, be prepared for some construction that is taking place on the beachfront. They are in the process of building a huge groyne off the point which is meant to protect a shipment of sand they are bringing in from Guyana. This will extend the beach considerably but we would have preferred to at least have been forewarned about the activity taking place. It didn't put a damper on our vacation but the sight and sound of excavators and dump trucks didn't quite fit in with the ambiance. Spent most of our time at the resort with the exception of dinner one night at the Coal Pot (wonderful!) and a day trip mountain biking and snorkelling with Jungle Reef Adventures which we would highly recommend. There were little beasties in the water called sea ants which you couldn't see but when they bit (more like a little sting) you sure knew it. They apparently show up depending on the current along with comb jellyfish which are harmless. That was something knew to us! Aside from that the snorkelling at Anse Chastanet and Anse Mamin were fantastic. Also took a sunset sail from the resort to the north end of the island to see Rodney Bay and back - truly a booze cruise but lots of fun and beautiful scenery. A great way to end a wonderful week.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:37 PM

Thanks for your trip report. We have been to STL twice and loved it, it deserves a nod here and there for it's "unique" ambience. You are way more energetic than us with the mountain biking. Most adventurous we got were riding the ATV's. That was a lot of fun as well.

We dined at The Coal Pot twice and also thought it was wonderful. Sounds like the beach at The windjammer will be very nice once it is done. Glad you enjoyed your vacation
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks brenandg, I have to confess that I did not have the energy to mountain bike - too hot! My daughter and I much preferred to snorkel. But, my husband and son did the biking and had a great time. Luckily the beach was right there and they could not wait to jump in after the ride. They did get some gorgeous pics from the top with the pitons in them and rang the bell (Tinker Juarez helped design the trail - he's a competitive biker - and when you get to the top you get to ring Tinker's bell to prove you made it!) They loved it.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:17 PM

How cute, "Tinker's Bell"! I probably would have borderline needed CPR if I made it to the top in that heat.
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

No kidding and to make it worse, Tinker designed the top part so you could not bike it, even if you wanted to - steep steep steep. If you really wanted to ring the bell you had to carry your bike up. Crazy guys!
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Dear starfish,

Thanks so much for posting the report! I'm going to St. Lucia in a couple of weeks and my fiancee is an avid biker. Could you tell me how much are bike rentals/classes and whether it's easier to drive or to take a taxi to Soufrieres? (We're staying at St. James Morgan Bay) Thanks to all the St. Lucia lovers-- this will be our first time, and it's been fun planning a trip based on reading what everyone has posted.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi choppy, we booked our trip with Jungle Reef Adventures through our hotel. We were really pleased with everything. They will pick you up at your hotel, take you to the boat in Castries where you have a wonderful one hour ride down the coast to the bike centre. The cost is $79 U.S. if you bike and that includes all return transportation, bike rentals, lunch and snorkelling at Anse Chastanet/Mamin if you like. If you choose to not bike and just want to hang out at the beach and snorkel and have lunch, the cost is $59 U.S. There are also kayaks you can use. Enjoy - it is such a beautiful place!
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:28 AM
cmw

Thanks startfish! I just booked my wedding at the Windjammer Landing the first week of December. If there is anymore you could tell me about the resort (service, cleanliness etc) that would be great! I have 30 guests coming with me so I am very nervous b/c I just want everything to turn out well and for everyone to have a good time!
Did you see any weddings down there??
Thanks,
Christine
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:46 AM

dear Christine
You asked about weddings (hope the construction on the beach is finished by then!)
We were there in Sept 2003 and saw a beach wedding. They have a white gazebo out on a point away from the main beach. It's covered by coconut palms and very beautiful. The gazebo was decorated with flowers and balloons and this wedding had a steel band. Very lovely and elegant. My husband and I loved Windjammer