Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just back from Hyatt St. Lucia, Questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Lori

Just returned from the Hyatt in St. Lucia and loved it! if anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Bonnie

I'm going in several days. Can you tell me if there's a big difference between the ocean view and beach view rooms. Do they all have balconies? Did the hotel seem full? <BR> <BR>Did you get into town for restaurants? Any favorites, Any trouble getting in anywhere (crowded?) What did the taxis cost? Do I need a lot of cash? <BR>Any info is appreciated! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Lori

Hi Bonnie, <BR>We had an ocean view room which faced the Atlantic. The rooms on the other side face the Caribbean. The Caribbean side is probably the one most preferred, but we were fine with the Atlantic side. All the rooms have nice terraces. The hotel was busy, but we never felt that we could not get a chair by the pool or beach or that it was crowded. No wait or line for anything. We ate at the hotel only one night for a Caribbean buffet set up at the beach, otherwise we took taxi's to Rodney Bay for $10 one way and it was about a ten minute ride. There were lots of restaurants to choose from in all different price ranges. <BR>If you have any more questions, feel free to email me.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Mary

Bonnie--Let me just tell you that you will have an absolutely fabulous time. I just got back from the Hyatt St. Lucia last night and I grieved when it was time to leave. Every detail at the Hyatt was attended to and you will not find a more friendly and helpful staff anywhere. I filled two full guest comment cards with positive comments. <BR> <BR>Regarding your question on the difference in rooms--we stayed 3 nights in the Swim Up Room and 4 nights in the Ocean View room. The interior of the rooms were identical and wonderfully spacious and very pretty. Classy to the last detail. Obviously the swim up room had a balcony with steps down into the free form pool which was really nice. The ocean view also had a patio with a fantastic view of the Atlantic over the wonderfully landscaped gardens. I spent every morning and evening sitting on the balcony watching the waves. Really nice. Every room at the Hyatt has the same size balcony with table and chairs. In my opinion, the ocean and beach front rooms are equally nice, but I liked the view of the Atlantic side (as I was on the beach and saw that view all day every day). The only room I would not get is the lagoon room, because you only have a view of the pool. <BR> <BR>We went into town a couple of different times for dinner and every time, we were anxious to get back to the Hyatt. The Buzz in Rodney Bay was actually quite good, but the food at the Hyatt is superb and is comparable to local restaurants, if not cheaper. Cabs cost about $12 from the Hyatt into Rodney Bay, and about $20 from the Hyatt to Castries. CAb fares are set so you are not likely to get ripped off. <BR> <BR> We found that it was very, very hot in town becuase you don't have the cooling breezes like you do at the Hyatt. Not too much to see except just observing hte local life. VERY little crowd anywhere we went. Which to us was quite a relief. <BR> <BR>One final recommendation. . . at the Hyatt you can book a day trip on the catamaran Endless Summer which is a full day sail to Soufriere and back. It is a fantastic way to see the island and the Pitons. Spectacular scenery. The trip also goes up to the drive in volcano and one of the larger waterfalls inland. Lunch with a local flavor is served on the boat and it is just a delightfully fun way to spend the day and see the island. There were couples, families and singles on the boat and from what I could tell everyone had a ball. Only costs $85 for the whole day. <BR> <BR>I cannot say enough good things about the Hyatt and St. Lucia in general. YOu will have an absolutely wonderful time. And I would be happy to answer more questions if you have any. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage! <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Kay

Hi everyone: <BR> <BR>I wanted to add that I stayed at the Hyatt for part of my honneymoon last summer. I do have some pictures up on my web site and hope to have the ones showing the Hyatt up this coming weekend. I will post when I get them all on my web site. <BR> <BR> <BR>when we stayed at eh Hyatt we took the day cruise on the Brig Unicorn which is the ship used in the mini series "Roots" I liked the idea of sailing on a talll ship better than setitng on a ctamaran. I think our tirp was around $85 per person. <BR>The Hyatt is fabulous adn well worth the money.