Reload this Page >

Just back from Caneel Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Julie

Hi. I just spent my honeymoon at Caneel Bay. I would be happy to answer any questions regarding Caneel and/or St. John.

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 04:30 PM
Keely

Thanks for your offer! My husband and I have been alternating September vacations between the Ocean Club in Paradise Island and Sunset Key Beach Club off of Key West. We've never been to the Virgins but this year want something a little different. We were considering St. Croix because I heard that St. John is a little rustic, but I have heard good things about Caneel. We need a gorgeous beach without major waves. A pool where you can swim laps. A gym or fitness center. A bicycle for him. Great food. Immaculate, airy rooms with a good view the usual luxury amenities. We also like to take walks at night on the way to and from dinner. Do you think we'd like Caneel and/or St. John? We are not into boozing, cruising, night life, team sports, crowds, noise, or roughing it.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 07:12 AM
Trish

Dear Keely, <BR>I would highly recommend Caneel Bay. We <BR>just spent our honeymoon there and I have to tell you that it was a great place to spend low-key time together. Cruz Bay is only a five minute taxi ride, and you can spend a livelier time at various bars and <BR>restaurants there for a change of pace. <BR>St. John is very quiet in general. Even Cruz Bay isn't too rowdy. The latest night we had was about 11:30 when we sat at the Lime Inn for a few drinks and listened to a reggae band across the street at Fred's. It's definitely not a late kind of town, but it was a change of pace since Caneel Resort quiets down very early--their band quits at 10 every night at one of their restaurants/bar. And yes you will do a lot of walking around the resort or you can take their bus. We walked most of the time because their gardens are very pretty and you can spot donkey's, mongoose, lizards, and crabs. <BR>Hope I helped out. Have fun and enjoy their beaches--Caneel Resort is worth a visit!!

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 09:28 AM
Julie

Hi Keely: <BR>I concur with what Trish said re: Caneel. The beaches are gorgeous and the waters are pretty calm, although I noticed it can get quite windy at Hawksnest. As far as a pool, Caneel does have one, although it seems to rarely get used -- hardly a need for it with those beautiful beaches. However, I did see the pool and I believe it is large enough for laps. As for luxury, Caneel is not particularly luxurious. The rooms are very nice, but are simply furnished. There are no TVs or phones in the rooms. We found it refreshing to go without TV for a week. However, there were times that a phone would have been nice. Hiking it to the main desk every time we had a question or needed assistance got old. <BR>There is a fitness center over by the tennis garden rooms, which we checked out but never used! The equipment is very clean and looks new. <BR>As for bicycles, didn't see any at Caneel. St. John is not really the place for biking as it is VERY hilly. <BR>Any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:09 PM
Keely

Thank you so much, Julie & Trish, for your valuable info, which will definitely help us make up our minds. I would love to go a week without TV and phone - now if I can only get my husband to agree . . . <BR>