Just back from Anse Chastanet!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 06:26 AM
Mariko

Just back from Anse Chastanet!

My husband and I had an amazing honeymoon at Anse Chastanet! If anyone has any questions feel free to email me.
Here is a brief rundown of both the good and the not so good that we experienced in St.Lucia:
The hotel and the island are breathtaking. We only had a superior room but the view from our balcony was spectacular. We could see the ocean from one side and the Pitons from the other. The snorkling was great. There is a marine reserve right off the beach so you don't even have to take a boat trip to see a lot of fish but they do have those too.
The beach is not the fine, white sand that many carribean beaches are but it is still nice and when we were there it was never crowded.

The food was pretty good. The buffet stuff was hit and miss but the dinners in the Treehouse restaurant were gourmet 5 course dinners with beautiful presentation. (limited menu but it changed every night)

The room that we had was 1A. It was close to the restaurant so the noise definitely travelled. I was woken up every morning by 6:00am when the staff began to set up for breakfast.

The roads in St.Lucia are quite and adventure to drive on. Although they are paved, they are very narrow and there are many hairpin turns. But the drivers that we had were very good and we never felt like we were in danger.

We went shopping for the day in Casteries. The boat ride over is nice because you get to see a lot of the island. I would recommend the trip but I'd only go for the half-day. There is duty-free shopping but I did not see very many good deals. The best was the open market in the town where you just walk down the rows of stalls and bargin with the local vendors.

Another trip which I highly recommend is the day trip to the Grenadines. You take a small plane to Union island and from there you take a large Catamaran to three other small islands for swimming and snorkling. They have a bar on the boat and a really good hot meal for lunch. You get to see many of different types of beaches and it was very relaxing.

We spent half of our time relaxing at the hotel and the other half exploring the island. There is so much to see and do on the island that we will definitely go back. I did not feel too isolated at the hotel even though it is quite remote and the staff at made it vey easy to take various day and half day tours.
The only negative things that I would say are that the roads are a bit treacherous especially if you are prone to getting carsick. The rooms at the hotel are not all that private since they are so open. The premium rooms are not a good idea in the rainy season due to the mosquitos. And yes, the stairs from our room to the beach (160) were not fun to climb everyday.

Anyone with questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I love reliving the trip!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Gina

Sounds like you had a fabulous honeymoon...congrats!!! I was wondering if you visited Diamond Falls, if so how much time does one need for that attraction? We will be having a driver so we won't be with a tour. Also, how much did the day trip to the Grenadines cost and how long was it? Sounds like a great experience. Thanks for your reply....

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 05:31 AM
Mariko

Gina:

We didn't get to do the Diamond Falls trip so I can't answer that question.
The Grenadines trip was $250 US per person but it was well worth it. This included a 45 minute scenic flight to Union island, departure tax from St.Lucia, the sail-boat tour of 3 islands, lunch and use of snorkling gear plus taxies to and from the airport.
We left the hotel at 6:30am and got back it time for dinner. It was a full day and I would definitely do it again. We met someone from England that had gone on the same trip the year before and was back again because she enjoyed it so much. A definite plus of this tour is that they don't pack you into the boat. It was a large catamaran and there were 13 of us plus the crew. I saw other sail boats pass the hotel where people were hanging off the rails like sardines. Not my idea of a relaxing sail.
Hope this helps!

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Sandra

We are planning a honeymoon, and thinking of either St.Lucia, Antigua or Jamaica. Have you been to any of the others?? Which do you recommend?

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Peggy

Just curious as to what 3 islands in the Grenadines you stopped to snorkel at? Did you go all the way to Tobago Cays?
They didn't used to allow day guests at Petit St. Vincent but I believe they did at Palm Island.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 12:42 PM
Mariko

Peggy:

I think the islands were called Mustique, Bateau, and Palm Island. I liked the snorkling at Mustique the best. There was supposed to be a great corral reef at Bateau but the beach and the water had quite a bit of garbage which turned me off and we did not spend very much time there.
I would have liked to visit Petit St. Vincent but that will be another trip I guess. Have you been there?