Jumby Bay honeymoon

Old May 26th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumby Bay honeymoon

I am planning an early August honeymoon, 5 days to the Caribbean and we like the brochure for Jumby Bay. Our priorities are: an elegant room and a beautiful white beach. We would also like to occasionally snorkel, explore, shop, fish.
Are the rooms as nice as they look on their web site?
I've read that the snorkelling off their beach isn't very interesting. Is this true? Is there a great place nearby, on the island or on Antigua itself?
We'd like to visit Antigua for just one day, is this easy to do?
Are the rooms and bathrooms/tubs/garden showers really nice? Anybody have actual pictures they could send me?
We are flying from DFW, I can't find a ticket for less than $850, which seems high by $200 or so. Are flights to the Caribbean expensive of late, or always this way? Is there a way to package a flight with Jumby Bay (they are not on Orbitz, etc.)? I'm thinking of doing a stopover for 1 night in Orlando or Miami, thinking it would lower the ticket price, and ease the flight time.
I've been reading posts here on Jumby Bay, they are very helpful, thanks. I just need some confirmation on the quality, and I hadn't heard much about snorkelling, although that isn't as important (we are both novices).
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Sunnyboy

I've never actually stayed at the resort (Jumby Bay was closed for renovations when I last went to Antigua) so I can't comment on the rooms but I know people who have stayed there that raved about the resort. It's a Rosewood property and that generally means what you see on their web-site is what you get. I've stayed at many of their resorts and have always been pleased.

You should have no trouble going to Antigua for the day as you will only be a short boat ride away. The concierge at the hotel will help arrange a taxi or rental car for you.

The best snorkeling on Antigua is at Cades Reef which is accessable only by boat (quite honestly I thought it was only "average" when compared to snorkeling in the BVI's, the Tobago Cays in the Grenadines and off of Bonaire). Several companies offer day sails to Cades Reef which include a stop for a beach picnic. You can also take eco-tours and kayack trips that have stops for snorkeling. You can book all these trips through the hotel concierge. There are many other places on Antigua where you can snorkle from the shore - here again the activities staff at the hotel can point you in the right direction.

As for airfares from DFW, I'm afraid to say the prices you are getting seem to be the norm for scheduled airlines. I fly out of DFW to the Caribbean at least 5 times a year and very rarely see prices under $850 for a R/T direct flight to anywhere other than Puerto Rico. Believe it or not I sometimes find it less expensive to fly up to NY or Newark, spend the night (in a basic motel) and fly out to the Caribbean the next day. Pricing, of course, depends a lot on your final destination. Last time I checked (it's been a while) there were no non-stop or direct flights flights to Antigua from DFW and that generally means higher air fares.

Old May 26th, 2004, 08:58 AM
bosco

Hi there. Check out my trip report on Curtain Bluff and Jumby Bay under the Antigua section. My husband and I just returned from Jumby Bay last week and absolutely loved it! We'd go back in a heartbeat if we could. As far as the rooms, the nicest are the courtyard suites in the 20s (ask for a corner room if you can get one - more privacy). These rooms are gorgeous, but one of the nicest features is the outdoor shower and soaking tub. I didn't want to leave. Least favorite room was the ocean front room in the Pond Bay House. The Rondavel 1 bedroom suites are also quite nice, but a little darker inside and farther from the beach (but closer to the restaurants). I don't think you can go wrong with the rooms here, they're all really special.

As far as snorkeling, we found that Antigua is not really known for snorkeling (compared to other islands such as St. John, the Caymans and the BVI). However, they do offer a weekly snorkeling trip (included in the cost) to Bird Island. The water is pretty clear around the resort with lots of starfish, but not ideal for snorkeling. However, there are many other water activities (wind surfing, sailing excursions, kayaking etc) to keep you busy.

Old May 26th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Regarding the Jumby Bay beach: I read that the beach is a little rough, that the sand is difficult to walk on due to lots of shell fragments. Is this correct? Is it comfortable to stroll the beach, or lay there all day? Is it white? Does coral live in this area?
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Regarding rooms at Jumby Bay: Do all the room types have a soaking tub?
Some postings have said it was very expensive, even $950 courtyard suite in summer. The Jumby site lists this as $475+19%. Also, I have seen mention of a package deal, though the Jumby site doesn't mention it.
P.S. Bosco, would you be willing to send me some pictures ?([email protected])?
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:52 AM

If you'll search this forum (type "jumby bay" into the search box) you'll find lots of details about JB.

As for the main beach, it's light tan, has quite a few little shells, is still comfortable to walk on (closer to the water is best), and the water is extremely calm. There are other beaches on the island (Pasture Beach is the main one) which are rougher but more natural looking in some ways.
Snorkelling is not a highlight on JB island, but can be undertaken with a short boat ride.

Rooms: bosco and I have the same opinion. The Courtyard Suites nearest the beach and the Rondavel Suites (not the smaller rooms) in the first 4 R buildings are the best rooms.

Paying rack rate (maximum $$) in summer seems unfair. Deals are available, but they're only advertised periodically.
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Sunnyboy

TO: mwfair Two of your posts ask if the beach at Jumby Bay has white sand. Just so you know very few Caribbean islands actually have pure white sand beaches. At Jumby and pretty much all around Antigua the beaches are not talcum powder white but rather have a light golden tone to them (certainly not objectionable nor are they in any way dark sand beaches such as found on the volcanic islands like St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Nevis to name a few). If pure white sand beaches are a number one priority you will find them on the coral based islands of Anguilla, Anegada (in the BVI's) and Aruba as well as the non-Caribbean islands of Bahamas Out-Islands and the Turks & Caicos Islands. I mention this only so you will have a clearer understanding about Caribbean beaches and you are not disappointed. Take it from someone who has been to more than 35 different islands in the Caribbean, Bahamas and the South Pacific, I wouldn't get to hung up on "white sand" - the light golden ones are often much prettier.

Old May 26th, 2004, 12:43 PM
bosco

mwfair: Travleis and Sunnyboy gave a great description of the beaches. I enjoyed the main beach for late night walks and relaxing. The shells were not too rough and some sections of the beach were smoother than others. Regarding the soaking tubs, yes, I believe the only rooms that have this are the Courtyard Suites. The Ocean View Room did not have an outdoor shower or tub. However, the Rondavels are just as nice and also have an outdoor shower, but no tub. Lots of fun! Unfortunately, I don't have any good pictures to offer. Call it a camera malfunction problem. Some of our pictures came out very dark and I don't think they showed how beautiful the place actually was. My hubby also accidentally used B/W film for one role. The cost is expensive, but I found it well worth it. Its' all inclusive and you receive all your meals, all drinks and some activities as part of the price. You may be able to find lower rates by checking with a travel agent (Virtuouso has been recommended)for an airfare/hotel combo or checking Luxurylink.com periodically. Happy planning! You'll have fun no matter what you decide.