July travel to Virgin Gorda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the beginning of July a crazy time to travel to Virgin Gorda?
I keep hearing hurricane season warnings....

Thanks!
Maria
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:18 PM

While the official Atlantic/Caribbean hurricane seasoon runs from June 1 through November 30, July is not a particular active time. Peak hurricane activity is usually during the 6 week period September 1 through October 15 and even then the odds of a major storm hitting the BVI's (or any specific island in the Caribbean) are relatively small. We've been to the BVI's numerous times in July and have had perfect weather

You can research historical hurricane activity for any island at www.stormcarib.com.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:38 PM

While it is technically hurricane season, in July there is only a slight chance of having a major storm develop. However, it is rainier during July, which usually means scattered showers during the day or night, but not lasting especially long. (A tropical depression can hover over an area for a few days regardless of the time of year, but nobody can predict that.)

We usually travel to the Caribbean in June & July in order to take advantage of low season prices and low season crowds. Our trip to VG last July was just about perfect in terms of weather--storms every night to fall asleep to, with brief showers during the day.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 05:46 AM

My understanding is that one is more likely to encounter the stinging jellyfish in the water in the summer months than at other times. I now OP asked about weather, but I thought I'd mention this detail in case it wants to be considered in the equation.
We loved Virgin Gorda!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! That is good news about the weather, but the Jellyfish! Yikes! Has anyone stayed at Nail Bay? My husband wants a quiet private spot, but I am having a hard time getting a reponse from their contact people.

It also looks pretty tricky to get there from Dallas. I am thinking a stop in San Juan is required and then somehow from there..
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Remember that many people have been in the Caribbean waters in the summer and NOT experienced the stinging jellies. Impossible to predict whether they'll be there or not.
There are a number of entries about Nail Bay. Just do a "search." For our taste, it's a bit too remote (down a bumpy road, etc.) We prefer Mahoe Bay. But both have good beaches and good snorkeling. I believe the accommodations at Mahoe are more "luxurious," and no doubt more expensive.
Do you know the website called "Traveltalk on Line"? There's a very active BVI section. It may be helpful in answering some of your questions.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 05:09 AM

No problem flying from Dallas (we fly from Corpus Christi through Dallas to Caribbean). Best is the early flight to San Juan, then onward to Beef Island Tortola (EIS) on AA Eagle.

You can probably be on the beach by mid afternoon!
(whereas those of us in Corpus or places that connect in DFW, won't be there until after the sun goes down!)

To avoid problem with stinging jellys, buy a cheap lycra body suit (stretchy fabric, also used by scuba divers) and snorkel or dive away. Jellyfish won't penetrate them, plus they keep your entire backside head to toes from being sunburned if you snorkel too long.

They don't take up much room in the suitcase either. I used a hood too simply to protect the back of my neck and also to keep my long hair out of my snorkel and/or dive mask.

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM

I am going in july from Dallas also.
you do DFW to Miami, then Miami to EIS (tortola). Ferry to VG. I think we wil be fine as far a hurricanes go. no guarantees of course.
See you there