Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

July 4th weekend – have you been to Bermuda, Islamorada, or St. Simons?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**(Also posting this on United States forum for Islamorada and St. Simons)
Due to working different shifts, etc. my BF and I have not had a July 4th weekend off together in years, until this year, so we’re looking to do a quick-ish getaway from Chicago. We’re looking at Bermuda, Islamorada, and St. Simons. We’re looking for lazy days at the beach/pool, eating & drinking in our suits, then just a nice place for dinner at night. We’re in our early 40’s with no children and are partial to adults only resorts, but are fine with family oriented as well if the amenities are there. I’m not asking which I should pick, as obviously that will need to be our call, but just looking to see if you’ve been there (particularly on the July 4th weekend), what the beaches are like (hearing Keys are rocky?), or even what you would recommend instead?
To give you an idea of price point & scale, we’re trying to stay under $400/night (Bermuda is more), moderate to high end. We’re looking at the following hotels:

Bermuda: Cambridge Beaches, Elbow Beach, Royal Palms
Islamorada: Ocean House, Casa Morada
St. Simons: Ocean Lodge, The King and Prince
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 09:21 AM

We have been to Bermuda and not the other two places on your list. It was a quick getaway for us from NJ. Beautiful green well maintained island. We were struck by how neat/clean/quaint the island is in comparison to other places in the Caribbean. We had dinner at Cambridge beaches one evening. Lovely resort, restaurant/service and good food. The beaches in Bermuda are nice (avoid horseshoe bay when the cruise ships are in town). Elbow bay beach is very nice. We enjoyed some shopping in Hamilton and spend some time exploring St George. Lots of restaurants all over town. Certainly you can't go wrong with Bermuda but if all you are looking to do is sped time by the hotel beach/pool relaxing you may want to save Bermuda for another trip. It would be a shame to not explore the different beaches and little towns on the island. Apologies if I misread your post and you are indeed looking to explore the different beaches/restaurants all over the island. If so Bermuda would be a great pick.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I like to be a little more active & he likes just relaxing so sounds like it may be a good fit.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 06:13 PM

I've been to all 3, completely different from each other

Bermuda by far the most gorgeous, terrific restaurants, but fairly upscale and classy. You need taxi (or mopeds) to get around It's the most exotic of your choices

Islamorada, personally for me, I would choose Key West over it, more to do, more fun, better restaurants. Keep in mind the beaches of the Keys aren't anything to marvel over, it's more of an "ambience" type destination

St. Simons is sleepy and gorgeous, but water is not turquoise (why I like Bermuda) It's very similar to Outer Banks and maybe compares to Okacroke Island if you've ever been. The beach is long, but overall very quiet destination
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Great insights, thank you both!
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 08:10 AM

MY vote is for Bermuda! Been there many times. My sister lives there. Some breathtaking beauty. We loved KW but not for the beaches.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 08:42 AM

Another vote for Bermuda. We travel there annually and love it (obviously). I just wanted to add something about transportation. I was mentioned above <You need taxi (or mopeds) to get around>>

We always get a moped and, in addition, get a transport pass. This gives you access to the bus and ferry. We love getting around on the ferry - such a lovely way to see the island.