Reload this Page >

jewish wedding in the carribean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:03 PM
Angela

My fiance and I want to travel to the carribean to get married in January to escape the Canadian winter. We would like to have a jewish wedding. We've looked at Sandals and they look very nice, but we're balking a bit at the prices. I realize this is probably a tall order, but does anyone have any information about jewish weddings at affordable all inclusive resorts?

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 04:29 AM
BillK

Curacao has the oldest synagogue in the western hemisphere if your looking for a truely jewish wedding.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Dave

Sit down with a good travel agent and they will be able to answer all your questions and make a few recommendations. Each island has different rules/laws governing marriages.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Parrot Mom

The shul in Curacao is I believe Sephardic and unbelievably beautiful with dark wood and brass chandeliers.. How their rituals would fit in with you and your future spouse I don't know.. but there seems to be a large enclave of Jewish community there. It has been several years since I visited Curacao and I am still overwhelmed and awed things of this beautiful jewel in the Carribean. I think the nicest hotel there is the Sonesta...

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Jane

Hi <BR>I just read in Fodor's that the second oldest synagogue still holding services is located on St.Thomas-Synagogue of Beracha Veshalom Vegmiluth Hasidim.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Karen

The synagogue on St. Thomas has its own web site and you can probably locate it thru one of the st. thomas sites (sorry, don't have the URL handy!). The rabbi there is delightful!

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Karen

The url for the synagogue on stt is www.onepaper.com/synagogue. The a/i options are limited however with Bolong Bay and Sugar Bay being the only two. During the summer months the Marriott properties sometime do offer it as an option. (the Reef, MorningStar or Grande Beach). I did have the pleasure of enjoying attending a beach wedding and the rabbi was wonderful! The Caribb Sea was the mikvah!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Parrot Mom

Angela can always do a compromise..be married in St. Thomas which I spent a week too long there and then honeymoon in St. John's which is gorgeous.. There is one more alternative and I'll check it out and get back to you all....Many of the resorts in the D.R. advertise weddings...I'll go check with the expert.... this is fun..at least nobody is fighting over anything..

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Parrot Mom

Angela, if you will contact me via e-mail I'll forward information regarding the Dominican Republic, especially the North Coast where there is a large Jewish community in Sousa..Prices by the way are very reasonable from what I've been reading..