Search

Jamaica wedding- need help please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamaica wedding- need help please

Hello

I am planning a wedding for approx 100 people Nov 2008. I have a few questions, if anyone can help me that would be great.

Looking to stay in Montego Bay area.

1) Cant choose between Round Hill, Rose Hall and Half Moon. Does anyone have a preference? What is the most reasonable/bang for your buck for my guests? I dont want anyone to feel ripped off.
2) can anyone suggest a good rehearsal dinner place in montego bay near any of those hotels?
3) Anyone that has been to round hill- what are the food options?
4) I heard that it is 'rainy season' in Jamaica in November. Is this true?

Thanks for all of your help!!!
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 04:33 AM

I think it's risky to plan a wedding in Jamaica during November because of the weather. Friends of ours who went last year over Thanksgiving, had five solid days of rain or showers. Is there any other time you can do it? In 25 years of going to Jamaica, we've found that the best time of year weatherwise is mid-March to end of April.

Good luck with your plans!
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Weather in November can be dicey on island. Tho officially post-hurricane season ending 1 Nov, the month sees rain, sometimes a stretch. So for 100 guests, I'd plan not only trip/travel cancellation and delay insurance, with a hurricane/storm rider (read the fine print carefully), I'd also plan to put them where they have lots of non-beach diversions. HALF MOON is huge, spread-out, with a real variety of room styles/small
villa-ettes and larger; golf carts
provided -- a good golf course across the main road. It can easily
lodge 100. ROUND HILL is tonier, more country-clubby, and stylish, with lodging at revamped/Ralph Lauren restyled rooms and an array
of private villas with pools. The beach here is smaller. There are kids' clubs at both, tennis/Internet
etc. ROSE HALL is midstyle-midpoint.

Since it's your wedding, ROUND HILL.
With 100, you have bargaining power on rates. And only the most curmudgeonly of kvetchers might ever feel 'ripped off'.

Food: Ask for menus/their wedding co-ordinators at both. For 100,
you're feeding/housing a small
army.

The HOUSEBOAT GRILLE moored in the cruiseship port area, about 15 min.drive from Round Hill might make a good contrast, more
casual rehearsal dinner spot with quite good food, on the water.

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your help. Still dont know when to go!! Seems like November is really too iffy based on what everyone is saying. I know June is a risk- but perhaps less of a risk? So confusing. I just wont have enough time to plan for mid-March or April at this point and dont want to wait until 2009.

So if anyone has any other suggestions - please share!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Unfortunately June can be very rainy,( in some years, there's been some flooding in June) although I don't think that was true this past year. Hard to predict.

I think as Tiverton points out, most of the hotels you'll be interested in have wedding coordinators available, so maybe you can organize a spring wedding by working with one of these?

Also, does it have to be Montego Bay? There's a much better beach ( almost seven miles of white sand!) in Negril, which is only an hour and a half away from MoBay, and many smaller hotels where you might be able to get the kind of personalized service lacking in bigger resorts.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Just to throw another pinion in...we've been to Jamaica in November several times and always had very good weather.

I'd do Round Hill or Half moon over Rose Hall too. More to do and really just NICER properties.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM

PS: that's been the END of November - Thanksgiving.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM

I would recommend that you try Tryall Club just outside of Mo Bay towards Negril.... it is wonderful - especially at sunset for the reception.. I'be been to very memorable weddings there!! The BEST!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM

I would not suggest end of May to early June or any time in November. That's usually when we get our heaviest of rains. And by heavy I mean flooding.

Rose Hall hotel is currently undergoing a major renovation so the property may be a bit nicer than it was before.

One warning about Half Moon: it can get really, really windy out there. So if you're planning anything for Half Moon you'll need to bear that in mind...you know...you might not want your veil blown off kind of thing. In spite of that it's a beautiful property for weddings.

Round Hill & Tryall are also beautiful properties for weddings. I'm not sure whether you'll be able to house 100 people at Tryall or Round Hill but Tiverton would know better than me about such things.

To be honest, if you go with either Round Hill or Half Moon as a site for your wedding you will not be disappointed with either one. If you really want a beach wedding I'd recommend Half Moon. But for a prettier property site, I'd say Round Hill.

Rehearsal dinner : Tiverton's suggestion of The House Boat would be fine except that I'm not sure they can house 100 guests as it's a pretty small place. You can see the restaurant and contact details here : http://www.montego-bay-jamaica.com/houseboat/index.html

You could try White Witch at Rose Hall (contact the Ritz) which would be close to Half Moon and Rose Hall, or even one of the restaurants associated with Half Moon or with the Rose Hall Hotel.

I can't think of anywhere close to Round Hill except to suggest the on site restaurant, which, by the way, is pretty good.

I hope you'll be able to choose something that will fit your tastes and expectations. Try not to stress out too much about the venue, though.

I wish you all the best with your wedding and more importantly, with your marriage.