Search

Jamaica vs Dominican

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamaica vs Dominican

My husband and I are looking at going to the Caribbean on vacation this year. We have never been and wanted some feedback on where is the best place between Jamaica and Dominican. Any comments from anyone who has been to both places would be great!!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 04:57 AM

I like both, but it all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to stay inside an all-inclusive resort and not leave, then I don't know if it matters much where you go. If you are interested in either Jamaican or Dominican culture and want to get outside the resort, then it does matter. Also, it depends on how much you want to spend and where you're coming from. Give us some more information on your route and what you are looking for, and we might be able to help you better.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Doug
We are looking for all inclusive, but wouldn't be opposed to activities outside the resort also. We are wanting 6 nights max at a maximum of $3,000.00. We are booking this year, but not sure in what month.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:34 AM

You can sometimes find great deals for Cayo Levantado, DR. Beautiful spot.....
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM

First off, good choice of locations. The Caribbean is quite simply...... incredible!

Jamaica is by far the Island to visit! What is important to remember about visiting islands, is that they come in many variations. Some are flat, some have rocky beaches and some are just a dime a dozen. Jamaica,however, is a rare tropical gem. In Jamaica, you have your choice of everything! From the hiking the cool Blue Mountains, lounging on the stunning white, powdery beaches of Negril, tasting the incredible cuisine or jammin' to Reggae music.

Jamaica is a very indigenous island, producing it own type of music(Reggae), world-famous Appleton Rum, Blue Mountain Coffe and the all-inclusive hotel.

Jamaica has a vibe that is very unique. Don't worry about safety either, when was the last time anyone has heard of a tourist being abducted or killed down there?

People on this forum tout Mexico but in the last week.....Canada has issued a travel alert and the U.S. a travel warning.

Do yourself a favour and check Jamaica out and just remember these words.....no problem, mon!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Dominican Republic is better for straight up relaxing and staying on the resort. If you want to get out and do things Jamaica is better. However, the more you get out and do things the less you are going to be able to take advantage of the 'all inclusive' idea. In general, I think the Dominican Republic is cheaper and the grounds on most of the resorts are very nice, but if you want to get off the resort and do things I wouldn't recommend it. With the exception of Negril Jamaica, Dominican Republic has more miles of continuous beach (if that matters to you). Off the resort, Jamaicans will hassle you a lot to buy stuff. If you are not 'beach people', I would not recommend the Dominican Republic. FYI, I'm speaking about Punta Cana in DR. Thats the only place I've been so maybe there are more activities in other parts of DR.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Have not been to DR yet, but find it interesting that "get out and do things" is better in Jamaica. My expereince last year was that you were TRAPPED in those resorts and for that very reason will not be going back to Jamaica. The resorts were isolated, tour options were not great and public transport not really an option.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Funny- my husband and I had the same dilemma last week. We were torn between Jamaica and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. After much research and reading reviews, we decided to book a 7 day trip to the RIU Palace in Punta Cana this April 2009. I was interested in Jamaica until my sister (who returned last week) said she was constantly harassed by locals, asking her to buy pot and other merchandise, etc. non stop. I just want to relax on a beach next to turquoise water. Plus, the RIU hotels have liquor dispensors in each of their rooms!! This was a plus for my hubby.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM

I have been to both Islands..Going back to the D.R. in 2 days. I prefer Jamiaca. Better culture, Better Food. The D.R. has possibly the most beautiful beaches of anywhere!!!
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM

I have been to both islands twice two the dominican republic I would choose DR over jamaica in jamaica if you leave the resort to go shopping you will be harassed by the locals to come and buy stuff they will even grab you on your arm. They will also ask you when you are in the water if you want to buy drugs and on the beach if you want your hair braided. We did not leave the resort in DR so I cant say how it would be there but no problems on the beaches or in the water we stayed at secrets the first time and there was no one on the beach selling anything it was a great resort. The second time we stayed at the paradisus they did have some people selling things on the beach but no problem they only came to you if you approached them. If you do pick a resort ask if the beaches are private or open to the public as some resorts allow the public to use the beach where others are only for the people at the resort. Have a great trip
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Locations in Jamiaca can vary. Ocho Rios and Montego Bay are terrible as far as the locals. I found that in Punta cana D.R. the locals were just as bad. We had better luck in the Negril area of Jamiaca. Walked around town without any issues.
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Depends upon what area you go to in DR. I found Jamaica off-putting because of the incessant fussing for me to buy stuff (including MJ). My friend joked, said, tell me if you don't get offered MJ within the first 5 minutes off the plane....it was two. Its insane.

As for activities off the resorts, there are plenty in both.
DR has the added benefit of being part of American history. Visit Santo Domingo and the colonial city for history and culture. Surfing is one of the ways Europeans and Americans discovered the DR - rumored to be the best in the caribbean.

I didn't find Jamaica as pretty as DR. Beaches are better (WAYYYY better) in DR. I have photos that don't even look real they're so perfect.

If language is an issue, Jamaicans of course speak English, and while some Dominicans do, its not as widespread, so interaction with locals could be a bit tricky depending upon who you meet.

That's my two (or ten) cents - its personal - some like one better than the other. Have fun!
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM

Did any of you visit the waterfalls in DR? Any resort that you can recommend ?
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM

If you really want a different caribbean style vacation, visit Villas Mana in Las Terrenas,Samana, in D.R.
For 2 persons,fresh food inclusive(not like in hotels,which are reheated), for 6 night is US$1,400.00,including a fourwheeler to use to go adventuring.
for info, www.villasmanalasterrenas.com or write to Ricardo ventura at [email protected].
you will not regret it.
make a change in your vacation style.
no need to stay all day long in hotel.
visit around.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Checkout Moon San Villa at the Blue Lagoon in Port Antonio, Jamaica
www.moonsanvilla.com
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Jamaica was the first Caribbean island we ever visited. The locals were so friendly and the culture was so interesting! Some of the staff at our hotel hugged me when we left.

Now, we are planning another trip there in February and cannot wait to get back to such an incredible place.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Having just arrived back from the DR, my vote's for Jamaica. We were in Puerto Plata last week and Ocho Rios a dozen years ago when we got married and in terms of non-resort options, we found Ocho Rios to have a greater variety of options that Puerto Plata.

HTH
K