Jamaica on a budget - possible?

Jan 14th, 2003, 10:47 AM
beachlover

Jamaica on a budget - possible?

My husband and I are looking to take a first anniversary trip this year. We honeymooned in Antigua last year, and we would like to return but can't quite afford it. Getting to Jamaica is cheaper and a direct flight. Where could we stay in Jamaica if on a budget?

We would like to stay in Negril because a nice beach is a must. An all-inclusive would be ideal, and adults only (screaming kids is not what I want while on vacation). We also enjoy watersports such as waterskiing, sailing, and snorkeling. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Jan 14th, 2003, 11:17 AM
love4negril

approx. how much do you have to spend total?

Jan 14th, 2003, 11:23 AM
beachlover

around $2,000 airfare and all. Is that impossible for what I'm looking for? We would like to stay 5-7 nights

Jan 14th, 2003, 11:30 AM
love4negril

well, I guess it also depends what month are you planning on? high or low season? Did you want beachfront or cliff? I saw a few you might be able to work for under $2,000.00, dont think it is adults only though, but they are Samsara Resort and Legends Hotel, try those..or maybe Club Ambiance in Runaway Bay, Jamaica, just type those reosrt names in and it will bring you to their websites. Let me know!

Jan 14th, 2003, 11:45 AM
andrea

I have done Jamaica for $2K and less for myself and hubby (actually I have never gone over that amount). The trick is to travel low-season. You can find great deals in Negril at one of the smaller nice hotels. You could look into a resort like Charela Inn or CocoaLaPalm. Both are nice. I can speak more for Charela Inn. You can get the meal plan if you wish. Look at Charela .com and see if they would appeal to you. Other posters could recommend other small properties to you as well.

Jan 14th, 2003, 12:00 PM
dede

What are some nice small resorts? Are there any small AI's? Are there any with Kitchenettes and are they worth it?

T You

Jan 14th, 2003, 12:01 PM
beachlover

Thank you so much for your posts!

Andrea, I checked out both resorts and Charela Inn really interests me. From what I can tell, non-motorized watersports are included? How is the beach? And there is a meal plan included? How is the food?? I understand children are allowed, does that mean there are children running everywhere (from your experience)?

Jan 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM
beachlover

love4negril - I checked out Legends and it looks great. Have you stayed there? Anything to add about it?

Jan 14th, 2003, 12:21 PM
love4negril

I haven't been there, but have heard good things, if u go to Yahoo.com, and type in Legends Hotel in Jamaica, and it'll bring up different websites, wuth varying pics and reviews. I am planning on maybe staying there myself at the end of this year. Good Luck with your planning!

Jan 14th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Frank

Hey Beachlover. Congrads on the 1 year. Negril is a wonderful place. Air fare for 2 from JFK to MoBay generally rus about $1000. Plan carefully and you might be able to get by on that extra $1000. Good luck to both of you.

Jan 14th, 2003, 03:49 PM
beachlover

Thanks for all the help. Actually I will be flying out of Tennessee and aifare to MB is around $400 pp, and it's a nonstop 3 hour flight. That's great compared to Antigua, we left at 7 am and arrived at the resort at midnight, whew!

The Charela Inn and Legends looks to be what I'm looking for. I am surprised at the all-inclusive rates because I'm used to Sandals/Couples rates. While the resorts may not be as nice or offer as much, we're there for the beach anyways.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Jan 14th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Eric

If you really want to save some money, stay at any number of non all-inclusive resorts. There are a number of excellent
deals on the beach and on the cliffs of Negril... You can rent cabins or even villas, far cheape then the all-inclusives. Go to www.negril.com to check out numerous properties and rates.

Eric

Jan 15th, 2003, 09:10 AM
liza

Just popping in to say Legends is a fine place, but expect a motel level of service and room. Fine, but not fancy. Charela is a step up but may have kids around....actually both may.

I too prefer cottages and villas....we like the hang out space. And there are so many wonderful and inexpensive places to eat all along the beach, the beach road, town, the cliffs, the cliff road...I'd die if I had to eat at the same place for a week there!

Jan 16th, 2003, 10:00 AM
andrea

beachlover,
Charela does allow children but I've never witnessed them running around. Non-motorized sports are included. Their meal plan can be inclusive...just ask for it when you book. Their food is good and the restaurant oceanview all the way...so is the bar. Both are literally on the sand.

The pool is in the center of the property (or I should say that the property encircles the pool)

When you do book, try and spring for the Oceanview Deluxe Rooms on the upper level (I forgot what # room we had). Those have whirlpool/jacuzzi tubs, bidets and 4 poster beds with mosquito netting. From these rooms you will wake up and see the ocean first thing.

Dede, if you are looking for a place to cook with Kitchenettes, then Rondell Village is a very good place to start. Look at their website for more help. I did tour Rondell and looked good. They have recently added further accomodations as well.
Andrea.