Search

Jamaica Inn Snorkeling

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamaica Inn Snorkeling

For those of you who have tried it, is there decent snorkeling going around the point of land at the western edge of the beach to below the west wing rooms?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:37 AM

I am a spoiled snorkeler, so I thought it OK at best.

Be sure to bring your own equipment. (That might make the experience better.)
I used theirs and it was VERY old and in poor shape. Leaky mask/snorkel, torn fins, etc.)

By the time you have a couple of the rum punches they start bringing out on the beach along about 10:30 or 11:00, you won't care much for the snorkeling!

I loved the place and did not miss the snorkeling much at all.

I do know there is a fellow who stays there on the beach with his small boat and will take you out for better snorkeling. He is very pleasant - forgot his name - but you can't miss him.

Have a great time!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:35 AM

I agree with Diana, the area around the point in front of the west wing is average at best. There's a reef directly in front of JI which might offer better snorkeling but I haven't tried it. I've witnessed a few brave guests swim out to the reef from the beach (there are some skis going back and forth from neighboring resorts). We usually bring our own mask/snorkel and leave the fins at home since they take up so much room. On our last stay, I don't think we did any snorkeling at all. Once you settle into the place, JI has a way of making you not want to do anything Enjoy!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:36 AM

That should read 'jet skis'
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:49 PM

Snorkeling wasn't too great on the west side of JI. We were upgraded to suite 19 which is on the west side and every morning I would take some toast from breakfast back to the room and fed the fish. Mostly Seargent Majors. Also in the evenings there were lots of sea urchins. Like having an aquarium off your balcony. Tony (Anthony) who works on the beach can arrange snorkel trips for you also a trip to Dunns River Falls by boat which is an easier way to go than car.
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:23 AM

The JI have new snorkeling gear but not the best quality, after 15 mins or so it really began to hurt the bridge of my nose - and my nose isn't that big .
I also thought the snorkeling was just a good way to break up the day and cool down, couldn't even be bothered to get Tony to take us out to the reef