Jamaica—First Timers—Older kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2023, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We are considering Jamaica for our family vacation. We have 3 kids - 20,17,14. We’d love to find the best ai on the best beach. Our search (and budget) has led us to Jamaica. Advice on best area, best resort, best excursions please! We’d like to relax, explore and enjoy our time making memories. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 13th, 2023, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Fwiw. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...20are%20common.

personally I would choose a different island but I am sure there are many tourists who have gone and had a great time. Doesn’t hurt though to understand some safety concerns.
Old Aug 13th, 2023, 04:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know about All Inclusive resorts but have been to Jamaica and stayed in Negril a few times over the years. It's a 90-minute shuttle ride from the Montego Bay airport. You can stay either on the gorgeous "7-mile beach" or up on The Cliffs.

https://www.negrilonestop.com/
This longtime website tells you pretty much all you need to know about that destination.
Old Aug 13th, 2023, 09:47 PM

Negril has the best beach experience in my opinion. When it comes to all inclusives, you can't go wrong with Royalton. You can also check out Beaches Negril which might be more of that family vibe. There's a Beaches Negril and a Beaches Ocho Rios. Negril will have the better beach, but if you're big on excursions i'd go closer to Ocho Rios, Montego Bay or in between like Falmouth, Trelawny or Runaway Bay.

Last edited by jumpingjax9583; Aug 13th, 2023 at 09:49 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 06:24 AM

We enjoyed Negril too, but the best for us was Pt. Antonio. It felt a better fit for those seeking more of quasi-rural Jamaica: The Roof Club (genuine reggae night life); the Blue Mountains and local beaches, the market, the waterfalls and for Mrs Z and I-- *the bamboo raft ride down the river, a peak experience of pure bliss.
I am done. the irie heights
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 07:09 AM

I suspect you've arrived at Jamaica because of budget. I agree with tom42. And agree that Port Antonio is a lot nicer than some other parts but for a first visit there are many issues, even if you are staying at an AI. There are other islands that are also on the cheap side but safer.
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 05:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is nothing wrong or unsafe about going to an all-inclusive resort in or near Negril. I'd personally go for one right on the 7-mile beach in town but there are also a bunch of AIs nearby out at the 'Bloody Bay' end.

Old Aug 16th, 2023, 05:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suze
There is nothing wrong or unsafe about going to an all-inclusive resort in or near Negril. I'd personally go for one right on the 7-mile beach in town but there are also a bunch of AIs nearby out at the 'Bloody Bay' end.
Maybe you should tell that to the State Department. From my link: “Sexual assaults occur frequently, including at all-inclusive resorts.”. Individuals can give that whatever weight they want but it’s a little irresponsible to say that there is nothing unsafe about going to an AI in Jamaica based on a visit you may have taken years ago.
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 08:51 AM

I encourage you go to Jamaica, an extremely wonderful culture and country. Safer than in the US. And you don't have to stay at a an all-inclusive resort. zebec is right, Port Antonio area is great. We stayed at Goblin Hill Villas. Reach falls is a stunning paradise, river rafting, Frenchman's Creek - a gorgeous beach, Winnifred Beach, a great locals beach. Toward Falmouth, there is a bioluminescent bay that is extraordinary, also we went on a guided hike near Albert Town that had us walking part way in an underground river - thrill of a lifetime. Organized by the Southern Trelawny Environmental Agency, you would need to contact them. They are always ready to help.

Southern Trelawny Environmental Agency

I would think teenagers at least would like that kind of adventure.
Old Sep 23rd, 2023, 10:42 AM

Unfortunately Jamaica is not 100% safe, if you have teen-age daughters they will be pestered by every young Male Employee at your Hotel, a little friendly banter is OK but when the attention becomes unwanted 24/ 7 it got to the stage where my 20year old daughter did not want to leave the hotel room!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2023, 10:44 AM

I agree, Jamaica is beautiful and the people are mostly delightful and friendly, but it is not safe!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2023, 10:47 AM

I am from Jamaica, but no longer live there. I love my home country, but unfortunately it is not the Paradise it used to be. Please exercise caution!!