Jamaica - allergy reaction- food ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone out there experienced a allergy reaction while in the caribbean? If so what is your advice and what do you think caused it? The first time I was there I experienced a allergy reaction but I don't know what cause it. So I am taking a EpiPen with me. If you know of some items which cause reactions to people new to the carribbean-let me know. I have nothing in the U.S. which causes me to have an allergy reaction. Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 5th, 2003, 12:20 AM

Outside of insect sting allergies,I've heard of some folks who are allergic to mango, generally the skin, which can cause a rash from the ureshiol. Unripe ackee (unopened pods)
and barracuda are also no-go territory.
If you're food sensitive, go for mild spicing, lots of fresh fruit, rice n peas. Leaf of life tea is generally the Jamaican cure-all;immodium is also a good thing to pack.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:47 AM

I always travel with Benedryl (caplets), I even keep it in my beach bag and I take it everywhere we go. It has come in handy more than once!

To give you an example: Last year we went to Scilly Cay/Anguilla for lunch. The "secret" recipe for the grilling sauce was delicious. When I came home I searched the web for the recipe and found it - and very much to my surprise, the recipe calls for a small amount of ground peanuts! There is nothing posted anywhere that there is ground peanuts in the sauce and you cannot smell it or taste it, but for someone who has a peanut allergy, it can be fatal. We do not have peanut allergies, but it is a lesson to all that you never know what you are ingesting, so please be prepared at all times when travelling.

I know this may sound crazy, but I always travel with a ziplock bag full of everything - Immodium, Pepto, Ex-lax,Advil, bandaids and anitbiotic cream, cortaid (you name it I have it)...even Dent temp (if a filling falls out you can fill it yourself and will last a week until you can get to your dentist) I take everything out of the boxes to save space and everything fits in 1 large ziplock bag. I put it in my carry on. I am so surprised as to how many people do not prepare themselves as an OTC medication can save your vacation. I give my "stuff" away to anyone that needs it. When in the caribbean you often do not have instant access to the things you need when you need them, espically a dentist....dent temp is a must! I gave it away to a guy whose filling fell out on the 3rd day of his vacation. He surprised me with a bottle of champagne the next day - very sweet!

So think of what you may need, walk the aisles of your local CVS or whatever and buy it. The initial outlay may cost you $50.00 or so, but it is so worth it
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Sandyfeet-you are sooo right.! We have all that stuff AND earplugs, bandaids, alcohol (for stings), my DH , also, brings a heating pad for his twitchy bach, (and we have used it).

I know there are more emergency items- you should post this on all boards.

We found out the hard way that someday you will need all this stuff.

MaryAnn
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 03:31 AM

Besides OTC products, temporary medical insurance for coverage outside the US (rarely in most healthcare plans and one that even includes emergency airlifts to US hospitals) costs a pittance and provides great reassurance.
It's largely ignored by most travellers,but a boon to those who have pre-existing conditions or sensitivities.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:41 AM

It may have been soy or if you are allergic to shellfish it may have been that even in a non-shellfish dish. Most resorts outside the US are not held to the same cross-contamination rules(not that many restaurants in the US are good about it either). Jamaican's seemed to cook most meats in soy and for those that have a mild soy allergy they may not notice at all normally but if a meat is marianted in it will get sick.

mierin