Seasoned Travelers Needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! My friend and I are going to Jamaica for the first time on September 4th and I would love to hear what anyone has to say. I am going to Breezes at Mo Bay for 3 days and Riu Negril for 7.
I am most interested in what I should bring in order to have the best time. What is the best bug repellent? Is it true that people use aloe for sunscreen? Any information is much appreciated!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM

I go to Jamaica every year. I bring OFF with me for bugs, but they are really only bothersome at dusk. Aloe will do nothing to prevent sunburn. It's really meant for soothing sunburn or maintaining a tan. Make sure that you bring plenty of real suntan lotion. The sun is very strong in Jamaica.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM

As Weadles said - Aloe is NOT a sunscreen - it is useful for treatment AFTER you have foolishly burnt yourself to a crisp (speaking from the experience I had on my first trip to Jamaica many years ago). Get a proper Sunscreen (AT LEAST SPF 30 with UVA AND UVB protection - a higher SPF is even better). Apply VERY liberally BEFORE you lie in the sun and reapply frequently - especially after swimming.
Insect repellant - bring something with DEET. You may or may not need it - mosquitos tend to appear and disappear depending on the weather (Any wetness and they come out but if it is dry sunny and windy, you may not see one). Have a nice vacation!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:18 AM
iw

Make sure that you pack the repellant in your checked luggage or it will get taken. I always buy it when I get to my destination and leave what's left for the next guest.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:26 AM

I used to have to check a bag that carried sunscreen & repellent. But because I love to travel with carry-on only, I pack two small containers of 3 oz sunscreen in my 1-quart plastic bag, I bring a few more sunscreen towelettes, and buy the rest when I get to my destination.

But for bug stuff I use a product that is the consistency of deoderant and in the same kind of twist-up packaging. It works great, it's all natural with no DEET, and it won't destroy the coral reefs. And with an olive oil base, it is also really good for the skin, especially sun-parched skin. Made by Badger Balm--I definitely recommend it!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you all so much for your good advice! I will definitely put all of it to use. I was also wondering if anyone knows if the repellent will also work for the sand fleas as well as the mosquitos?
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:30 AM

don't wear expensive jewelry or carry a purse/fanny pak-crime rate high.been to eastern/western caribbean and mexico-all multiple times-jamaica is most unsafe area in caribbean,but that's our experiences,not stayed at the places you mentioned.have fun but be very aware of your surroundings and careful of trusting people you do not know.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I would say do bring a good sun screen and a cool down lotion such as aloe. Also for me Jamaican people have returned friendliness and then some. Have fun mon. Evry ting be irie. BTW practice saying:
"Yah mon"
"Cool runnings"
"No problem"
"Irie"
You will be at home
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Is it true that people use aloe for sunscreen?>

NO, aloe has NO properties as a sunscreen. Some people use it to sooth a sunburn after it has happened (personally I just try to avoid that!).

What you need to bring is not much... an assortment of bathing suits, shorts or skirts, tshirts and tank tops, sandals, sneakers, a sun hat (or buy one), sunglasses, etc.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
hi suze: The thread is five years old . . . was topped by an advertiser.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 11:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hi janisj: Sorry I didn't notice that! I got caught up in a vision of one extremely sunburned person!!