Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

We want to be pampered: The Caves, Moon Dance Villas, or The Villas on Bluefields Bay (Jamaica)?

Search

We want to be pampered: The Caves, Moon Dance Villas, or The Villas on Bluefields Bay (Jamaica)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be vacationing in the beginning of October, and can't decide between the three. What we want most is to be pampered and 'taken care' of (i.e. prepare local dishes for us and serve us drinks). We love to hear the surf at night and be able to sit in a beautiful location and read during the day. We don't need other 'diversions'. What do you think? Which resort would best meet our needs?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:46 PM

They're pretty different.

One obvious difference is taht two are in Negril and one not - Negril is a tourist town with lots of bars, restaurants and nightlife. Bluefields is sleepier.

The Caves is on the cliffs, you can snorkel there and swim but there is no sandy beach - the other two are on or near sand.

Moondance and Bluefields are villas (whole houses) with staff and tons of private space, the Caves is a resort.

The distance from the airport is 30-45 minutes less to Negril, but Bluefields will offer a less touristy experience.

"We love to hear the surf at night and be able to sit in a beautiful location and read during the day. We don't need other 'diversions'" suggests to me that you might like Bluefields best.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Liza: Thank you for such a thoughtful response. You are right that Bluefields may be our best choice except for one thing - the 1 and 2 BR villas are not right on the beach. (And the other villas are out of our price range).Will we feel like we are in a villa 'anywhere'?

One other questions - how long will it take us to get to Bluefields from the airport if it is farther away from the airport than Negril?

I appreciate your time and response!! - Kathy
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Liza: I confused myself. I was thinking about Moon Dance Villas with regard to my previous posting. So ignore my concern about the villas' location.

Do you have a favorite villa at Bluefields (just myself and my husband)?
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 04:03 AM

All 3 are stylish and high standard, but the 5 villas at Bluefields match your list spot-on. And they're NOT in Negril but on the far less touristed and non-commmercialized South Coast, 1 hour equidistant from Negril and MoBay. See Oct 2000 'Jamaica's Hidden Coast' cover feature story and many pix in
CARIBBEAN TRAVEL & LIFE which captures the spirit of the place far better than their Web site. Would recommend THE HERMITAGE or,if you want your own 'islet', SAN MICHELE. Carmen and Birdie manage the villas; the staff, of which there are many, and exceptionally well-trained , are not of the 'Have a nice day' informality or of the Ritz automaton type. White livery,silver salver service, yes -- but old-fashioned classic Brit Jamaica in style. Whatever you want is entirely
within reach here with more of a serene sense of personal style.All the villas have quite a collection of 19th/18th cen.Jamaican antique furnishings and art -- the RoundHill look without Ralph Lauren.Best of all, it's NOT a resort -- it's a choice of a private villa with your own staff to do everything you want or not, your way. In Negril, I'd also prefer The Caves over Moon Dance for more individualistic style.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 04:11 AM

P.S. Call Bluefields villas owner Deborah Montcure in Alexandria VA directly and you may be able to secure a special which she sometimes offers...
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 10:21 AM

Tiv answered your Bluefields villas question, I think.

As for the airport, I guess BF may not be further than Negril. We drove through Bluefields on our way from Treasure Beach to MoBay and it may well have been near the halfway point of our 2 hour drive. It's a much prettier drive, I think, to Bluefields, because you get to go over the mountains through small towns that you won't see otherwise unless you make a point of it.

The water in BF is just as clear and beautiful as in Negril, in my opinion, and minus the tourist hordes. If nightlife isn't critical, BF would be my choice. Negril is only an hour away anyway, if you get the bug to check out the cliffs for a sunset or see what a hopping tourist town is like

Lots to do in the area too...you can go swimming/jumping/tubing at YS Falls, take a boat trip up the Black River and see some crocs, check out the quiet and laid back Treasure Beach area, see Lover's Leap, even swim with manatees at Alligator Hole...and there are lots of lesser-known things to do around there as well.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 10:23 AM

....and if you're a reggae fan, Peter Tosh is buried right down the street from you in Belmont. There is a small mausoleum and gift shop (cds and t-shirts mainly) there, and his family is on the property most times. It's a laid-back, no-hassle stop, and it's free to visit. They're raising $ for a museum on the site but I didn't see anything happening when we were there in April.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 10:55 AM

I am a big fan of the Tryall Club between Mo Bay and Negril. (Close to Round Hill.) The private villas have golf carts so you can use all of the club amenities if you wish. We had fresh grouper and lobsters that a fish monger would bring daily. He would come to the front door and ask what we wanted that day. The cook was fabulous! When we got there we went over our meals and she cooked what ever we wanted. We were called to each meal by a ringing of a bell and were waited on hand and foot. The villa also came with a gardener, maid and a laundress so what ever you needed you got right away. Check out the website www.tryallclub.com, you can see all of the villas there.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for helping me make my decision. I am waiting to hear from Debbie, the owner, about prices and availability. If we go we are sure to check out Peter Tosh's mausoleum. We are big fans.

Tiverton: I did a seach and can not find a Caribbean Travel and Life Cover in 2000 that features Jamaica. I am interested in finding this article, Any ideas?
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:20 AM

McSmith:Ask Debbie for a cc or contact us and we'd be happy to forward a copy/leave your info on the inquiry
form at www.jamaicaescapes.com. See also oasisspajamaica.com , spa services 10 min.from Debbie & Braxton's with discounts for guests and Culloden Cafe in Whitehouse. Grab some good curry landcrab at Dorrit's and soup at Robert's in Belmont district,latter just down main from PTosh gravesite.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Tivertonhouse: You have been very helpful. Thanks a lot. I'll tell you about our trip when we return.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:20 AM

McSmith: Hope your holiday a wonderful one. You might also want to check out the brown coral inlaid with gold/silver/stones and antique horn jewelry made by Oral Kerr in Belmont -- or have Debbie or Carmen have him come over. Hail Jaci at Oasis for us as well.