Cruising to Grand Cayman in Nov 06

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (we're in our late 40s/early 50s) will be taking our very first cruise ever in a few weeks, leaving from Charleston, SC cruising on the Norwegian Majesty to Grand Cayman/Cozumel/Key West.

We are really excited about it, but after reading the information about shore excursions in our cruise documents as well as some of the threads here, I'm getting worried that our time on Grand Cayman.

We're not interested in snorkeling, diving, stingrays, turtles, etc. (We like to swim, though.)

I'm beginning to think that perhaps just renting a car (driving on the left will be no problem for my husband as he is British) and exploring the island might be the best suited "excursion" for us.

Do many people off the cruise ships just kind of take off on their own once they get there?

Thanks so much for your feedback.

P.S. Is there anywhere on the island for a proper Afternoon Tea?

Tea Lover Denise
http://GreatTearoomsOfAmerica.com

Old Oct 8th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

That should be, "...getting worried *about* our time on Grand Cayman."
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 06:21 AM

I would rent a car and spend the day at Rumpoint.It's a great place to swim and relax.The beach is a cove like beach lined with Austrailian Pines with hammocks hanging from some of them.They also have a bar/restaurant.

Or you could spend the day at the East End of the island or 7 Mile beach.

It just depends on if you want a quiet place to relax (Rumpoint and East end) or active place (7 mile beach)

I'm not sure about a place for tea.

Maybe someone will answer that one for you.

Have a great time!
Christie
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Most of the Ritz-Carlton hotels in the Caribbean offer afternoon tea, but it was a little disappointing (tea bags, not real clotted cream, etc.). You might have better luck if you get island food. But driving around on your own is a fine idea and easy to do on Grand Cayman. Rum Point is great, but the best swimming beach is Seven Mile Beach, and it's beautiful.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Depending on how long your cruise stop, I just don't know that it's worth going to Rum Point. It's an hour to an hour 1/2 drive from downtown area. I wasn't crazy about Rum Point because it was super crowded when we went. There are lots of other nice beaches in Georgetown itself. Here's my April trip report w/ pics. It includes a couple of drives we made. Let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34790307
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:09 AM

I agree with caribtravelers - why drive 3 hours round trip (more if you get caught in traffic) to see a pretty beach when you can go to 7MB in about 10 minutes. A trip to see the rays would be good - you can either go thru the cruise ship or get one when you get off the ship - they all do the same itinerary. When we go there on a cruise, we'll head to either governors beach (no facilities) or public beach which does have changing/rest rooms and a beach bar. We usually finish our day at Royal Palms.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I also agree with other about Rum Point. Although it's a decent spot, it's very small, and can get VERY crowded. After two vacations on Grand Cayman, we have given up on Rum Point.

Seven Mile Beach is by far the nicest stretch of beach on the island. It's a 5-10 min cab ride from where you tender in to shore. There are some great choices for restaurants all around Georgetown & 7MB.

Can't help you with "proper Afternoon Tea" But it is vacation, so belly up and treat yourself to a fine rum punch!!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM

TeaLover,
I suggested Rumpoint,not considering how long you will be in GC..if you are not there long,maybe it would be too much of a hassle to drive out there.

We just really enjoyed that beach and it was not crowded when we went in May.

You are probably better off going to 7 mile beach.

Have fun whatever you do!

Christie
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Of, the stingrays were great fun! But if all you want to do is swim, hop a taxi to 7 mile beach. Last summer, they were lined up at the docks where the tenders dropped us off. Ours took us to a beach club where we paid $5 or $10 dollars for use of the beach with a lounge chair for the duration. You can actually swim because there are no waves to speak of.
There used to be a British pub right across from the tender dock, but it was gone last year and is now Caribbean themed.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your insight/suggestions!

These forums are great and really help people get the most value for their time and money.

Tea Lover Denise
http://GreatTearoomsOfAmerica.com