Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is topless sunbathing allowed on beaches in Puerto Rico?

Jun 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Just wondering if topless sunbathing is acceptable on the beaches in Puerto Rico. If acceptable, is it very prevalent? I don't want to be the only one, but I do enjoy it and can't do it in much of the USA. Maybe, therefore, not in Puerto Rico either?
Jun 7th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Topless sunbathing is illegal on Pureto Rico. Will you see it - sometimes on occasion but it is by no means tolerated or acepted.

If you want to go topless visit one of the French Islands (St. Martin, St. Barths, Guadalupe, Martinique, Marie Gallant or Iles Des Saintes) as topless is legal on those islands. FYI - Islands with US, British histories generally don't tollerate topless or nudity on their beaches.
Jun 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I suspected that that was the answer, but had never seen it written anywhere.
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:27 AM

One time we were in Puerto Rico on a pretty isolated beach in Parguera and the police came to tell a young woman to put her top back on!
Jun 9th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Apparently law enforcement has its better moments! LOL
Jun 9th, 2008, 04:28 AM

You could also consider parts of Jamaica and some of the Dutch islands as well. If by any chance you're staying in a private villa in PR you could probably sunbathe topless without giving offense.
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:07 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

It is actually (probably) more common in Miami & I've seen some folks @ Bahai Honda doing it as well.

Oct 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM

DR is the place to go if you want modern European attitude to such a normal activity.
Dec 5th, 2012, 04:50 AM

I've seen it on every single island in the Caribbean, including the US islands like St John & St Thomas. Does this make it right? Personally, I could care less...it doesn't bother me in the least.

On the more conservative islands, such as Grand Cayman, St John, and others where it's (supposedly) illegal, the people I've seen are at least trying to be discreet. Meaning don't plop yourself down in the middle of the family pool area & drop the top!! LOL

Bottom line: Use common sense. If you are on a remote beach, with hardly a soul around...pretty sure nobody is going to waste the energy of caring what you do.
Dec 5th, 2012, 06:16 AM

This post is 4 years old. I think Kristine has come and gone by now.