Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is the Iberostar Costa Dorada nice enough for my affluent friends?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 12:05 PM
poorlittle

This isn't a troll post. A large group of families have decided to go on a group vacation. Most in the group have big bucks and are used to vacationing at places like Little Palm Island, 4s Nevis, Hassler in Rome - you get my drift. Since we have to accomodate those with smaller budgets and everyone wants to cut back this year, we came across The Iberostar Costa Dorada in the DR. First everyone wanted Casa de Campo but not everyone wanted to pay that much. Will people feel like they are "slumming" at this resort, or will it be OK for a lot of families bringing a lot of kids who are all used to the finer things in life. And yes, I realize how obnoxious this sounds even as I post it.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Topper

t

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Mike

Poorlittle,<BR><BR>I always hate it when I see someone ask about one island and someone answer by proposing a different one, but here I am doing the same thing. <BR>Not sure how big your group is, or how closely knit they are, but we've traveled with other couples and rented a 4 bedroom home (some call them villas, but it looked and felt like a house to me) at Tryall Club in Montego Bay, Jamaica.<BR>Price was right for us (Figure $1000-1500 per couple per week). And the house came with staff - cook, maid, laundress, and gardener. The meals were always incredibly good. We set the menu with the cook by suggesting things we liked, hearing things she liked to make, and agreeing on the menus. We gave her some money, she went off and bought the food. Figure about $20 per person per day for food.<BR>Some of the 5 and 6 bedroom houses have 2 cooks and 2 maids, some have a butler, all have golf carts for access about the property -- to the beach, golf course (A MAGNIFICENT GOLF COURSE, by the way), tennis courts. There's also a wonderful restaurant in the Great House for those nights when you might want to try a different locale for a meal. But as we sat on our veranda looking out towards the lights of MoBay as we ate our dinner, prepared just for us and served to just us, I can't see why you would want to go to the Great House, but that's what makes horse races.<BR>Each house has its own pool. The houses on the hillside overlook the golf course and the ocean. The ones alongside the sea have spectacular views.<BR>Believe me, no one will feel like they are slumming.<BR>I know, all I've done is confuse the issue, but I really thought your group sounded like one that might find Tryall a good location.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:20 AM
poorlittle

Mike,<BR><BR>Thank you for the great recommendation. I actually thought of Tryall but just assumed it would be more expensive than what you wrote. I'm going to give them a call right now. It's tough to be the organizer and try to keep everyone happy!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Claire

Don't call the hotel direct as they do NOT give the best rates when you deal directly with a hotel. You need an agent that 'wholesales' the property for the best results.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 09:05 AM
poorlittle

Okay then Claire, how do I find a wholesaler for a specific property, like Tryall? Can you tell me who I should call? Thanks.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 01:00 PM
mike

PL,<BR><BR>There are 16 Great House villas, 1 and 2 bedroom units, that are clustered around the great house at the top of the hill. They are booked, I'm fairly certain, only by Tryall. The rates are fixed.<BR>The other 50 +/- villas that are scattered around the property are managed and rented by Tryall. But they are also handled by some other villa rental companies. I've only seen the same rates through those companies as at the Tryall site.<BR>But, some of the villas are marketed through the internet directly by their owners. I think Pinnacle, Fairways, and Fern Hill (at least) are done this way. There may be a way to negotiate something with the owners. Go to Google and enter Jamaica villas as the search and poke around the sites that come back.<BR>I really don't know any packagers who handle Tryall.<BR>Take a look at Tryallclub.com and check the 'rates' page. In season, the 6 bedroom villa is $13,000 for 7 nights. Out of season (after April 1) it's only $7,000 for 7 nights.<BR>Now, you'll add food, beverages, and tips to that, but it's still pretty good. <BR>Oh, and if you do find a packager who does Tryall and can get you a good rate, please, please, please, post back on this thread who, what, where, how, and how much. I'll be eternally grateful.