Is St. Lucia worth it?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Kristie

Is St. Lucia worth it?

I would love to go to St. Lucia and stay at the Windjammer Landing. I thought it looked beautiful and like a quaint island. Just wanted to know if you have been there? Thanks!!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Kim

St.Lucia is a beautiful island the Piton Mountains are just awsome. The island itself is very tropical very lush and green. Great views everywhere you look you need a camera. We loved it there and will return there next Feb we are off to Jamaica again this Feb. email me if you have any ?'s

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Mary

It is worth it if you know what to expect going in... Yes it is pretty, but the way some describe it I was disappointed. And know it is a 3rd world country.. very very poor

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Mary

It is worth it if you know what to expect going in... Yes it is pretty, but the way some describe it I was disappointed. And know it is a 3rd world country.. very very poor

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:11 AM
marym

The other Mary is right. It can also be expensive. Especially if you stay in the south part of the island where dining is limited and for the most part, expensive. We felt taxis were expensive too.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Kay

Hi Kristie:<BR><BR>My husband and I spent our honeymoon on St. Lucia last year and LOVED it was so beautiful and romantic. The people where very nice. Now St. Lucia as most of the islands in the Caribbean is a 3rd world country and you will see poverty sometimes. But here is Dallas we have poverty too and if you go to that part of town you will see it. <BR><BR>My husband and I can't wait to go back to St. Lucia and are even thinking of maybe buying a time share there someday.<BR><BR>I have a great trip report and lots of pictures at www.seashelltravel.com go and read the report and look at the pictures and let me know know if you have any questions.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 06:28 AM
thos2424

I've been to Jamaica, Antigua and St.Lucia. I really thought St.Lucia was the nicest. If you go, you have to go on excursions to the pitons, rain forest/sulfer springs and horse back riding to see this islands beauty.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Mary

Yes, there is poverty everywhere, but it is not true that it is isolated in St. Lucia. We saw poverty everywhere.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Dan

Mary, Yes St.lucia is a 3rd world country they dont have all the privelages you have so yes there is poverty. Us Americans are to spoiled!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Joe

Yes St. Lucia is worth it. I would stay in the south part of the islands near the Pitons as they are spectacular. The people are poor, but they are very nice and polite and seem to love life. They are industrious and work hard. There are peddlers of beads, etc., but no begging in my experience (the beads made nice presents for those back home - get the ones made from local seeds not the hematite ones imported from the Phillipines). If you want to avoid poverty go to St. Bart's if you want unmatched scenery and friendly people you'll like St. Lucia.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Mary

... you say poverty is everywhere, so are friendly people...<BR><BR>I just do not want people to go to St. Lucia with expecting something they are not are not going to experience... St. Lucia was teh 1st Caribbean island I had gone to and from what I read on this board I was expecting Hawaii... instead I had to pass away deals of "ganga" and offers of $400 to tour the island

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 03:28 AM
joan

Yes, St. Lucia is worth it! One of the few islands we have returned to.<BR><BR>Regarding poverty, yes I have seen it on all the islands. The worst was Jamaica, but you know what? At first I too was shocked, but came to realize we are all applying OUR standards to someone else's life. I found most islanders quite content with their lot, they appreciate where they live, and they have less "wants" than us Americans. As Joe said, they love life!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 08:50 AM
mary

Dan: Don't sterotype Americans as "too spoiled" because your statement is just that: a stereotype. I'm American and in no way am I "spoiled" nor is anyone else I know.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Mary

... you say poverty is everywhere, so are friendly people...<BR><BR>I just do not want people to go to St. Lucia with expecting something they are not are not going to experience... St. Lucia was teh 1st Caribbean island I had gone to and from what I read on this board I was expecting Hawaii... instead I had to pass away deals of "ganga" and offers of $400 to tour the island

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 01:15 PM
joan

Mary why oh why do you post everything twice? And you don't know ANY spoiled people????

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 05:43 AM
mary

No, in my circle of friends and family, I would say none are spoiled and are all very good people. <BR><BR>Also, there are two different "Mary's" posting on this thread.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Bonnie

Kristie:<BR><BR>I will returning in February to the Windjammer for my 4th time! After our 1st visit there we fell in love with the place and bought a timeshare. Look at another tread "Just got back" started by Jeff. He just got back from the Windjammer after having a wedding and honeymoon there. He gave a great review. The Windjammer is also a perfect place for kids. They have a very comprehensive children's program. My 7yr old loves it.<BR><BR>Sure there is poverty like many other Caribbean islands, but I see past alot of that. I see the warmth of the people and the beauty of the island.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:19 PM
Darlene

It depends on what you are looking for. If you are into beautiful white sand beaches with pretty turqiouse water--this is not the place to go. If you like driving on your own--this is not the place to go--it is very mountainous so driving is an extrem challeng.If you plan to stay at an all inclusive I'd suggest staying at the nicest one you can afford. The Pitons are truly awesome. I think the best way to see them is by catamaran. The drive in volcano may disappoint. The people we met were very friendly. We rented a car and were advised not to drive at night due to the curvy mountain roads. If you rent a car be careful. I would not go back--however I'm a beach person so am rating the island based on the beaches I have visted. Good luck with your trip. Ever consider going to St. Kitts or Barbardos? They are both nice places with stunning views and pretty beaches. Barbados has the better beaches and more to do, however, St.Kitts is very realxing and you can have a lot of fun their. If you go to St. Kitts take the day trip to Nevis.<BR>Good Luck on your trip.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:34 AM
Jess

2 different Mary's posting the exact same thing word for word?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:15 AM
Mary

Yes there were 2 mary's me and Mary@aol... all most posts posted twice.. I think my daughter kept hitting refresh oops

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -