Is Caneel Bay Stuffy?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Erin

Is Caneel Bay Stuffy?

I want a relaxing vacation and I think St. John is the place but I am debating between a villa and Caneel. I like a nice hotel but I don't want to be forced to have to look "dressed-up" all the time - is Caneel stuffy or pretentious - the brochure makes it look so. Thanks.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Pauline

Erin,
Caneel is the very opposite of "stuffy" or "pretentious". It's extremely laid back and casual.
You'll find that with nearly everything within feet of a beach that most guests are dressed in swimsuits most of the time.
While you won't want to wear a bathing suit to dinner, a sundress for you and a polo shirt and khaki shorts are more than adequate for dinner at most of the restaurants on the entire island, including Caneel's restaurants!
Whether you choose a villa or Caneel really depends on whether you want beachfront accomodations. There are very few beach front villas on St John, most are hillside with great views but you'll have to drive to the beach. That said, I have come to prefer the privacy that a villa affords us. But Caneel is a very special place
BTW, the food at Caneels' restaurants is mediocre to fair but you are very close to Cruz Bay and numerous teriffic places to eat. Two of our favorites are Morgan's Mango and the Lime Inn.
Have fun!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Erin

Pauline - Thanks for the info. This will be our first trip and I thought being at a hotel would be easier b/c they can arrange dinner resvations and day trips to the BVI and such. With a villa, do you find it difficult to do activities on your own? Also, if we went to caneel, can we rent a car for the week?

Thanks.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Pauline

Erin,
If you want to get out and explore the island, I highly recommend you rent a jeep from one of the companies in town. The pricing at all of them is very similar.
We have found it extremely easy to arrange a couple of day trips, by ourselves. In fact I usually take care of the arrangements before I even leave home so that I don't have to think alot about it after I get there.
As far as dinner reservations go, if you're dining outside the resort there are only a couple of places where you might really need a reservation. Asolare, Chateau Bordeaux, Paradiso etc.
Of course that would depend on what time of year you're going. You haven't mentioned that.
That is a real email address above, please feel free to email me if you have more questions.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:35 AM
X

What about the rooms at Caneel? Is it worth it to get the beachfront rooms? Is it a pain to get the oceanview rooms and have a "short walk" to the beach. Does anyone know more about the rooms and if it's worth it to spend the extra money?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Pauline

In my opinion, I would go for a gardenview room. You can still see the beach and hear the ocean, it's only a few extra steps but you will get a little more privacy with a gardenview room. I wouldn't pay the additional for an oceanview.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:56 AM
X

Pauline - Do you mean tennis garden rooms or ocean view rooms? Apparently there are also courtside rooms and beachfront rooms . . . very confusing!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Pauline

I'm sorry. I was trying to type that last post in a hurry and it was very unclear.
In my opinion, and it's only my opinion, I would book and oceanview room and not pay the extra for a beachfront. As I said, it's only a few extra steps and it's a bit more private.
There isn't really a bad spot at Caneel, you really can't go wrong so don't stress too much about it. But my personal preference would be the oceanview. Hope that helps!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:36 PM
penny

Ocean view on the Point, the others set back, and near the path to the pavillion remind me of a motel! The Point is a great location! You pay for the rooms location, not interior except for Cabin 7 which is very nice. Caneel can be very laid back, and more formal at the Turtle Bay House. Dine in Cruz Bay too, it has lots of nice spots. Caneel has 7 beaches to explore-and the snorkeling is great!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Pamela

We have been to St. John on two occasions and we would choose a villa over staying at a resort. Either way you can not go wrong. Caneel Bay is very gorgeous but we found a villa is much more private, you get a lot more for you money and so much more room.

You will love St. John no matter which you choose.

Pamela

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Laura

Erin,
I honeymooned at Caneel Bay years ago and loved it. We too thought the brochure implied dressy clothes and were (pleasantly) surprised when we got there that it was really laid back. We were young and poor, so we opted for the tennis garden rooms and I wished we had splurged on a room closer to the beach. Since there was no air-conditioning, we might have enjoyed an ocean breeze. I don't think you will be dissappointed in Caneel.... have a wonderful trip.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:54 AM
X

So Laura, would you recommend oceanview or beachfront?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Luda

We stayed at Caneel couple of years ago in a garden view rm and it was good 5 min walk to the lobby,restaurant and the beach.You can also take a bus that runs through out the property, but you might have to wait fot it at a bus stop near the garden veiw and tennis garden section. Tennis garden is not any closer to everything than garden veiw. But it also cost considerably less. I would recommend ocean view units, it is only few steps farther away from the beach than the ocean front units are but cost considerably less.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Gloria

Thanks for the warning! A 5 min walk to the beach or waiting for a bus would have been a very unpleasant surprise! I saw on their web site that jackets are required at one of the restaurants in winter season, which is a bit stuffy to me.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Jacqueline

go for beachfront. Scott's and Hawksnest are wonderful. Breakfast on the patio or balcony with the water within feet of you. Don't go all that way to look at the beach. If it won't bust your budget by all means do beachfront.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Diane

I thought I would share my experiences with various roms at Caneel that might prove helpful.

My first stay was in an oceanview room. I could sea the ocean but it was several hundred feet away.

My second stay was a tennis court room. It was too far away, and I would choose that room only if that was the only way that I could be there.

My third stay my room was ocean front, Turtle Bay second floor. The ocean is very close to the building;, however while the room has a balcany that faces the ocean, the door to exit the building does not. Consequently, I had to walk around the building to get to the beach.

This year I have requested Hawksnest first floor. First floor rooms have patios which allow direct access to the beach. Turtle Bay is very nice but I wanted to try something different. Hawksnest appears to be equally nice.

Caneel is terrific and has a magnetic appeal which keeps drawing me back, and I have met many others who feel the same.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:42 AM
bill

The Tennis Garden is not a five minute walk, unless you are ederly. It is also more secluded than the beachfront. I would recommend a beachfront room on Hawksnest because it is more secluded. I would shoot for the first floor as well. You will not be disappointed with any location at Caneel.