Reload this Page >

Virgin Gorda Taxi or rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Dan

Headed to Virgin Gorda next month and I would like to rent a car for 1 day. (Baths, Gorda Peak, etc.) Is a 1 day rental available? What cost? Would it be better to hire a taxi? 2 adults and 4 kids. Thanks

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Chris

Dear Dan,<BR>A one day rental should definitely be available. We rented a car for one day through Speedy's rental at the Yacht Harbor.<BR>Where are you staying? We just got back from Virgin Gorda 2 weeks ago and loved it! Have fun.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Kathleen

Dear Dan,<BR><BR>We went to Virgin Gorda last year and stayed at Biras Creek which was wonderful. We did not rent a car but used a taxi which was not expensive. Speedy's would drop you off and they would pick you up when you wanted, right on time. We took a taxi to the Baths and now wished we opted for the glass bottom boat excursion thet Biras offered instead. There was not too much else to see in Road Town though, the roads aare very winding and steep and close to the edge, glad we were not driving. <BR>Have a great Trip

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Dan

Chris,<BR><BR>Staying at Bitter End. Hoping to get transportation at Gun Creek. Where did you stay?<BR><BR>Kathleen,<BR><BR>Was the hike to the Baths from the road a problem? I do want to see Gorda Peak and combine the trip w/ the Baths. Any idea how much driving time fron Gun Creek to the Baths? Sounds like early morning is best for the Baths due to crowds, but I don't think hiking up the Peak in the middle of the day is such a good idea. If I can do both before noon, I should be OK. <BR><BR>Thanks to both of you

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:42 PM
jim

Dan,<BR>My wife and I were in VG for a week in July a few years ago. We stayed at a villa in Leverick Bay. We were able to rent a car from Speedy's there for a day. We did both Gorda Peak and the Bath's in the same day. We hiked to the top of the peak in the afternoon, it was hot but not unbearable. We spent the late afternoon and evening at the baths. It takes maybe 1/2 hour to get there (up and down some very steep roads). It's a 5-10 minute walk from the road to the beach area. We were the only ones there the entire 3 hours we were on the beach. This was partly because it was the off-season and partly due to the fact that boats can't overnight there so most head off to find overnight anchorage by 2:00ish. We saw a great sunset also. <BR>I hope this info helps. I wish I was going back!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Chris

Dan,<BR>We stayed at Little Dix Bay and loved it. I don't know from Bitter End how long the trip would take to the Baths. We took a boat from Little Dix and we were there in a flash.<BR>Everyone told us to go to the Baths early morning but we got there around 11:00 am and it wasn't that crowded. <BR>Is this your first time to VG? Have fun and let me know if you have any more questions.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Dan

Thanks for the info. Sounds like we can do both in 1 day, avoid the Baths in mid-day and hope we miss the crowds. <BR>Two more questions....If I use the whole day for this adventure, it would be worth while checking out another beach or two. I've heard that Savannah Bay is excellent. Any other suggestions? Also, are the Copper mine ruins worth a look?<BR><BR>Note to Chris: This is our second vacation to VG in 2 years. BEYC both times. Stopped by VG on bare boat charters as a teen. (a long time ago!) <BR><BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Kathleen

Hi,<BR>The hike was not bad at all, we loved it I did it in flip-flops (not recommended but I did it. It was a little hot bring a bottle of water with you. The reward for all that schlepping is to swim in the most beautiful waters you have ever seen there are little pools of water within the formations. And an amazing beach. All our friends thought our photos were postcards. Have a great time!! I forgot the name of the place but theres a place to have lunch and drinks at the top of the hill, it also has an amazing view. I remember having a drink there and looking at the clock and thinking - its coffee break time and my friends at work are drinking burnt coffee from the coffee truck -- HA HA.<BR>Have a wonderful trip