Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is A/C essential in August in St. John Villas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're likely staying in a beachfront villa on Coral Bay in mid-august. However, there are only ceiling fans and no A/C. Will we be miserable? Or will the fans, night temp and sea breezes keep us cool?
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:19 AM

If you were renting a villa high up on a hillside, I would think that you'd be fine. A beachfront villa however might be uncomfortable at night in August with no AC. It's really a matter of what you're personal tolerance for heat and humidity. It will cool off at night but will remain humid. You will have less breeze down at beach level than you would up higher.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:02 AM

Dear jeprice, how did you find a beach front villa in STJ???? I have been hunting and hunting and can only find them up on the hillsides. I am about to book our vacation at Caneel Bay today, but would love to look into your villa first...do you mind giving me the info? thanks
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Beachlover -

I found it through caribbeanvillas.com. The name of the villa is Calypso by the Sea and is on Coral Bay. I'm trying to reserve from 8/14 through 8/21 so don't pick those dates!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:38 AM

Dear Beachlover50, there is a beachfront cottage for rent on one of the famed north shore beaches. Go to www.gibneyvillas.com There are two cottages: the beachfront cottage is very small and above our price range but the location is incredible. The garden front cottage is the same price but there is more space. JEPRICE, we have stayed in a villa facing west before and we would have melted without the AC. Next Spring we are staying at a villa close to the water in Great Cruz Bay without AC. This one does not face west completely and has some trees for shade. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will have good sleeping conditions!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:59 PM

We were in the VI's last week and went to St. John on the ferry. My advice-go with A/C.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:54 AM

We stayed in a villa in Coral Bay about 800ft up Ajax Mtn a couple of weeks ago. We had a/c but never used it. However, when we ventured down our mtn to the beaches it became increasingly hot and uncomfortable. Personally, I would not rent a villa down near the beach in August without a/c. If you still have time to change you might want to find something "higher up" where there are more breezes.

Personally, I found that there are so many beaches to explore on St John there is really not much added benefit in being "beach front" since we wanted to visit new locations each day (and we had a pool at our villa if we wanted to take a dip). BTW, our villa was "happy moon" also rented through caribbean villas.