Inter-Island flights, ferries from Nassau to Eleuthera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having problems finding convenient connections from Nassau to Eleuthera and back. Bahamas Air and Southern Air only flies twice a day (at 8am and 5pm)- and the ferry only goes once a day, at 8am. Are there any other options that won't break the bank that anyone knows of? I'd really appreciate your help!!

Thank you!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 11:47 AM

USAir and Continental also fly out of Florida into N. Eleuthera, and Chalks flies charters out of Nassau as well.

The BoHengy was doing 2 trips a day, so you might check the www.bahamasfastferries.com website for the latest info. I had heard the ship was being dry docked for repairs but not sure of the dates.

The good news is that Jet Blue is starting to fly into Nassau as of Nov 1 which will give more travel options and better prices to Nassau.

Where were you thinking of staying on Eleuthera and what airport?

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Another option is overnight in Nassau at a place such as Orange Hill Beach Inn and catch the morning flight over. I can also highly recommend Southern Air.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I'll look into Chalks, I hadn't seen anything on them yet. We're actually flying in to Nassau from New York, so those flights from Florida don't help... I did call Bahamas Fast Ferries and they said they had 2 ferries a day during the week, but only one a day in the early morning on weekends. I figured with the afternoon ferry, I may as well take Southern Air - but is the ferry ride worth taking for the views?
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:43 PM

In a short answer, YES, the ferry takes about 2 hours to get over to Eleuthera/Harbour Island and the ride is really beautiful. The water is so crystal clear that you can see all the way to the bottom.

Since the airfare and ferry cost is just about the same you might want to fly one way and take the ferry the other direction.

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:21 PM

The fast ferry is going to be in dry dock for 2wks from 13th Sep. Southern air fly to North Eleuthera at noon daily I know as i just bought tickets today for a trip in sept.Round trip on Southern Air is $120.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 03:11 AM

We had the same problems when trying to book a trip to Eleuthra. We ended up chartering a plane in Fort Lauderdale. If you have enough people, at least 5 or 6 it is not that expensive and is very convenient. They fly on your schedule and assisted us through customs both ways and were there waiting for us for the return flight.