Input on Aruba Radisson vs Hyatt

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Sue

Input on Aruba Radisson vs Hyatt

My husband and I have a trip planned to Aruba the end of August. We are planning on staying at the Radisson but I am wondering if we should reconsider the Hyatt. Any insights from those who have stayed at either would be much appreciated.I have stayed at the Hyatt Kauai a few times and found that to be excellent-rooms and pool/grounds etc. Is the Hyatt Aruba of that caliber? We booked the Radisson based on comments regarding room size, pool area etc. Is the Hyatt superior to the Radisson? Specifics are helpful! We are leaving our 2 year old home with her grandparents and would prefer to have a resort without tons of kids around.Any thoughts???Thanks in advance-Sue

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Ted

I've stayed at both and prefer the recently renovated Radisson. The rooms are larger and better appointed, and the balconies are larger as well. (I'm basing my opinion on the Radisson's Aruba Tower; I did not see rooms in the other 2 towers.) The Radisson's pool area also attracts a better crowd.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Linda

You will be very disappointed in the Radisson if you are expecting it to be like the Hyatt Kauai. Hyatt's are usually special because of their beautiful grounds, attractive lobby and restaurants. They seem to be well planned. The Hyatt Aruba is beautiful. But..... the rooms are a disappointment.It was the worst Hyatt room we have ever stayed in. Not bad, but not Hyatt caliber. The grounds, restaurants, lounges etc. are as lovely as any Hyatt.

We just got back. If we would have listened to the opinion of some of these posters and chose the Radisson, we would have been extremely disappointed. A person who appreciates a Hyatt would not be happy with the Radisson.

These are just a few examples of why the Hyatt is superior: a towel hut at the beach where they actually bring your towel and chairs to your cabana. Attractive beach side restaurant, juice bar, and tropical bar(with food). Attractive bathrooms near the pool and beach. 3 very attactive and romantic indoor/outdoor restaurants with excellent food. Outdoor lounge with live nightly music. Very attractive lobby. Grounds are more manicured and cared for. (We saw trash and papers in the plantings at the Radisson) Beach area is better taken care of and cleaned.

We are Hyatt people. There is no comparison!! Don't believe those posters who are probably Radisson employees.
Go back and read more posts!!! There are more positive Hyatt comments. It infuriates me that a couple of guys are misleading people. Please post after your trip. I will be ready to say "I told you so!" if you stay with the Radisson. It is a decent hotel BUT it's not a Hyatt!!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Bud

Don't be fooled by Linda's posting. She is probably a Hyatt employee. The Radisson in Aruba is better than the Hyatt. The pool is bigger and the beach has a better layout with more shade. The Hyatt pool is cramped. The rooms are nicer. Also, check the prices. The Hyatt charges $100 more per night than the Hyatt. It is not worth it. My trip report is on: http://www.visitaruba.com/guestarea/...s/trip230.html

It shows pictures of the Radisson Aruba's rooms and grounds. Been to Aruba twice in the past year and the Radisson beats all the others. Hands down.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Ted

Linda, who are you kidding?!? Both are great properties, but your review is clearly biased, as you so state ("we are Hyatt people").

I am neither a Hyatt nor a Radisson person -- just an unbiased traveler who has actually stayed in both hotels in the past 16 months.

Sue, for more info, try www.aruba-bb.com. But rest assured that both are great hotels, and you really can't go wrong. The Radisson is just a notch better since the renovation.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:41 PM
ML

I have never been there but people always like the Marriot. Did you consider it. Actually if I go to Aruba it would be between the Marriot or Hyatt based on passed experiences with both hotels.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Linda

Bud and Ted:

Should have known you 2 would be the first to reply. Both of you have been misleading people on this forum. I made a HUGE mistake saying we were Hyatt people, and I knew after I pressed send, you would take it out of context. I MEANT that we choose Hyatt's whenever possible because they are consistantly superior hotels. Both of you are obviously biased against Hyatt. It doesn't make sense....why would the Hyatt attract a lower class crowd at the pool????

I hope Sue goes to the Radisson and then she can report back that Bud and Ted are Radisson employees OR Trolls!!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Janet

Author: ML ([email protected])
Date: 07/18/2002, 08:41 pm
Message: I have never been there but people always like the Marriot".

Now that's a silly statement.
First off Marriott manages/owns 3 different properties in Aruba. One is a timeshare/condo (Ocean Club) next to the main Marriott Resort, the other the Renaissance. The main Marriott hotel is the older one and MANY people have complained about it, saying it is no better than a '3 star' hotel, worn and in need of refurb, etc.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Ted

Please Linda, you embarrass yourself.

Do a text search on this or the US forum and show me one example of my misleading people. I always offer honest answers based solely on my experience as a traveler (and, as an avid scuba diver and former instructor, I have travelled the Caribbean extensively).

I like many Hyatt properties, including the one in Aruba. I've stayed at Hyatts from San Francisco to the Caribbean. In fact, I rarely stay at Radisson properties (with the exception of the Radisson in Aruba and the Radisson, now the Marriott, in Grand Cayman).

If you disagree with my educated opinion, that's your perogative. But don't get personal. I've stayed at both the Hyatt Aruba and the Radisson (Aruba Tower, oceanfront) in the past 16 months. How about you? When did you experience the Radisson? How many rooms have you seen? Since 1994 I've stayed at the Hyatt twice and the Radisson three times (once pre-renovation, when the Hyatt was clearly the superior property).

The pool area comment is simply a function of my personal experience -- the Radisson seems to attract a more peaceful, quiet, relaxed crowd while the Hyatt attracts a more noisy, alcohol-oriented crowd.

Opinion -- Take it or leave it, but back off on the baseless comments.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:55 PM
ML

Not so silly when I said I have never been. And I am not up on all the properties they own in Aruba or for that matter anywhere else. However I am talking about good reports within the last couple of years about the Marriott. You know the hotel they call the Marriott.
I believe it is close to the Hyatt.
Does anyone one have a first hand information about the Marriott for Sue??

Janet,
You might have asked which hotel I was
referring to!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Janet

Oh, I'm not taking offense to your inference that people have told you they like 'the Marriott'.

I'm actually referring to the tendency for so many people to generalize.
I often see the comment, "Go to Grand Cayman, stay at XYZ condo. You will love it".

Or, "It's a Hyatt, so it must be good".

That kind of thing. May seem nitpicky, but many people (wise or not) take the advice offered here seriously and will spend money based on what they read. So what may seem like a harmless sweeping comment to some, may be taken very literally by those without any background knowledge of this board or of the specific destination.

And of course to say that everyone likes one thing or another is always incorrect. Someone in the bunch will always find something wrong with anything.
No offense intended, ML.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Ted

FYI Sue -- Some info that Linda won't be able to share with you since I doubt she's ever actually stayed at the renovated Radisson: The Radisson has three buildings, or towers.

The Aruba Tower is the main high-rise tower over the lobby. The Bonaire and Curacao Towers are low-rise, 3 or 4 floors each, that some travelers prefer because they can access their room without the use of a cold elevator. I've heard that the room size/layout differs by tower, but I can't comment personally because I've only stayed in oceanfront rooms in the Aruba Tower. You could learn much more about the tower differences at www.aruba-bb.com or www.visitaruba.com.
Good Luck & Enjoy!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Bud

Have stayed at the Marriott, Hyatt, and Radisson. The renovated Radisson beats the other two. Hyatt's grounds can not compete with the Radisson. Marriott has become frayed around the edges and needs some renovations. But, due to Marriott Corp's financial situation, I would doubt they are pouring any money into renovations. They are concentrating on increasing capacity, thus why they are adding a new condo unit instead of renovating the Stella Maris. The Radisson has a great 360 degree website that shows the grounds, rooms, and shops on the property.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Anne

I've seen them all and prefer the Hyatt. I definitely would not say it is an alcoholic crowd as the above response. It is mostly couples/honeymooners and some families. You cannot beat the grounds at the Hyatt! I would agree that the rooms are just mediocre, your standard hotel room, but then again who stays in their room? The only thing I did there was sleep and get showered to go out on the town. It was perfectly comfortable. If you want peace and quiet, the Radisson for sure. It was dead, except for the one topless 60 year old lady. Have fun!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Rachel

I'm sick of this "I've seen them all" garbage. Have you stayed in rooms in both hotels? If not then you have nothing to say comparing the two except shallow observations about the grounds and pool. The Hyatt's rooms are "mediocre"? Well that's good to know!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Gail

The Hyatt attracts a lot of families and the kids will all be enjoying the 3 tiered slide in the pool! The grounds are beautiful but compact. Lobby area also very attractive and inviting and Hyatt does have excellent service. Drawbacks would be small unimpressive rooms and no balconies just little area to only stand on. Radisson is newer and more spread out and has one of the 'deepest' beach areas. Also like their zero entry pool. The nicest and largest rooms are in the main building. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Anne

These boards are for opinions of people who have been to the "asked about" island or destination. I don't need to be criticized when trying to post a helpful reply. Yes, I talked about the grounds, because I have seen them all. And I offered an opinion about the room I stayed in. (And by the way--Rachel, was it? I don't see you offering any kind of helpful response besides telling someone they have a "garbage" response. Just be helpful and give your own opinion.) In my personal opinion, which these are all just opinions, I enjoyed staying at the Hyatt. You can't go wrong going to Aruba and staying at either of the 3 major hotels (Hyatt, Marriot, or Radisson), they are all on a beautiful beach with lots of fun things to do.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:24 AM
ShutUpIdiot

Oh, just shut up Anne. Once again you contribute nothing to this thread, and you've forced me to do the same now. If you haven't stayed at both hotels, don't suggest one over the other. It's that simple, so I agree with Rachel.

Many people do a helluva lot more than "sleep and shower" in their room. Some people even have sex on their vacation! Some enjoy breakfast in their room, or relaxing with a cocktail on a nice balcony. Mediocrity is not acceptable for many if not most people.

Finally, if you can't stand the heat, stay outta the kitchen!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Geez

Let people say what they have to say and quit the complaining. You're all a bunch of arguing freaks.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:47 AM
AMK

Sorry guys---the person asking the question asked for advice if you had stayed at either NOT both!! Therefore, please keep your nasty, rudeness, to yourself!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information