Info on Punta Cana needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking into taking a trip in the next couple of months to Punta Cana. Have heard great things about it. Just saw an article in the Robb Report about the Punta Cana Resort and Club. Has anyone been there? We are looking for a relaxing week away. Also, any suggestions on activities around that area are appreciated! Thank you!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 04:08 AM

Hi:

I came back from Punta Cana last week (Sirenis Tropical resort). It was lovely there, but there is NOTHING else to do in Punta Cana except to do stuff in your hotel, nothing, zip, nada!

But my hubby and I are adventurous, the closest town is 1 hour away and it's called Higuey, we went there and to another town called La Romana (2 hours away) and Santo Domingo (3.5 hours away).

I enjoyed that a lot.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Hi Pamiqua,

I have been to Punta Cana, Puerta Plata and Santa Domingo. Last December we wanted to go back to the DR and we found this little town to stay in. It was AMAZING!!!! You are right in a town so you can walk to everything and there is a feeling of small town-ness in the air. Crime is non existant and the people are the friendliest in the DR. We walked at night without a ounce of fear or uneasiness. In my opinion Punta Cana has the best beaches in the DR but if you are looking for an all inclusive, fun, SAFE vacation then consider this town. You WON'T be disappointed!! The name of the town is Sousua and it is 20 minutes away from the Puerta Plata airport. We stayed at the Casa Maria Reef All Inclusive Resort. It is only rated a 3.5 star but I really think it deserves more. The food is typical resort food and consists of mainly buffets. However, we ate most of our dinners in the local restaurants and saved eating at the resort for breakfast, snacks and lunch. Restaurants were sanitary, excellent food and best of all CHEAP! Myself and my fiance both had lobster dinners complete with alcoholic drinks, appetizers and dessert. The whole meal for the two of us cost us $12.00 CANADIAN!! This is great because you get to mingle with locals and eat the local's favorite dishes.

There are only a handful of resorts in Sousua. Not overcrowded like most of the touristy areas. You can enjoy the beach, the nightlife and walk through the town and mingle with the locals. In most of the touristy areas you are secluded on a resort and never really get to see the real Dominican. Usually on a resort if you want to go to a local town to shop, browse or sightsee you have to drive an hour or more...here, it's just outside your door. This is the way to see the Dominican in a safe and fun way. In my opinion...the best jewel in the DR. Just something for you to consider.

Good luck and happy and safe travelling!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:43 AM

City Girl,
it is nice to hear you had such a great time and you could leave the resort safely, I am a TA and have sent a few clients to that resort but hadn't heard any reports about the time they had.
Thanks
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 12:08 PM
me

I myself have been to DR a dozen times over the years to several areas including Sosua , yes I too liked Sosua very much , it's a cute little town , you do get the true local flavor ,there's a big Jewish community which seems strange , but yet does add another character to this town , the beach is nice with some big waves , and the huge prawns and lobsters are fresh and yummy and CHEAP. It was several years ago and we stayed at one of the very few hotels there called the Sand Castle(?),very nice on the cliff over looking the ocean. Yes we were comfortable walking all over town shopping ,those Jewish shops speak good English.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Check out reviews on..http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com./