Indecision...Were Would You Pick?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I would like to start of by saying thank you to everyone who post in these forums. I have been reading a lot and it is very helpful to get different view points. I actually posted in the Central America forum also regarding that area but wanted to get your opinions of the Caribbean.

My finance and I are planning a destination wedding for next spring('10). Our goal is to be able to spend quality time discovering a new place with close family and friends. We are looking for a place that allows us to have a wedding on the beach while still having other types of activities to partake in. While we love the beach and will definitely snorkel and swim we also want to have a variety of land activities (ie: hiking, biking, history, tubing/rafting, zip lining, horseback riding, type things) to do as well. The key is to not have to spend a lot of time traveling to access everything. We are not looking for a place that has a lot of night life. We ideally would like to find a place were we feel we can spend quality time with our guest without having a lot of strangers around.

We have been considering Puerto Rico and St. Lucia in the Caribbean (and Belize (Hopkins type area - less touristy and from what I read seems to be closer to a variety of activities - though I do worry about the sand flies and the ocean not being clear) and Costa Rica (not exactly sure of an area here...maybe Manuel Antonio?!?) in Central America). Also briefly looked at Nevis but was not sure if it has a lot of variety. Of course we are still in the exploration phase and open to any suggestions! (Just a note- my fiance has been to Jamaica several times and would prefer to go somewhere different)

I would love to hear your opinion of these (or any other) areas and any suggestions you might have! A very anxious and indecisive bride thanks you in advance for your assistance
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM

Hi,

thanks for the your great information

<a href=www.autoinsurance365.net>Auto insurance</a>
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:53 AM

No good snorkeling there (except at Las Caletas, which is okay), but Puerto Vallarta, Mexico has everything else you're looking for. My husband and I were married there last June and everyone raves about what a wonderful trip they had.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:40 AM

If you want to go to the most gorgeous island in the Caribbean , go to St. Lucia. Get married on the beach under the Pitons if you can. there is not a more romantic beautiful setting.

http://bookingsstlucia.com/encyc/arc...a_LC&stlucia=1
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:52 AM

If you are uncertain of where to travel, Puerto Rico would be the safest bet, simply because of all it has to offer.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM

Think about Montezuma, Costa Rica, at the Ylang Ylang Beach Resort. You are picked up in a jeep for a trek down the beach to the resort which has separate bungalows tucked into fascinting, towering rain forest trees and garden paths, stunning freeform waterfall pool, adjacent to rugged, isolated beach, with monkeys playing in the trees above. food and drinks are fantastic here. 10 minute walk to fun town with great food, vendors selling art and unique items. Hike to a waterfall, zip line and a fantastic (very low cost) boat ride to Tortuga Island, an uninhabited island with stunning views, offshore islands and snorkeling, fish and lunch grilled on beach. Easiest way to do this is to stay near airport in San Jose (with volcano views!) first and last night, then hop a plane for a 20-minute ride to the Nicoya Penninsula, where Montezuma is, then a 30-40 min. cab ride. A slice of life!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM

Either Nevis or St Kitts in my opinion, sister islands each with it's own charm and so easy to get between the two, so you can do 2 islands in one holiday!

For your wedding I would recommend Turtle Beach, and it may be possible to hire the awesome Beach House Restaurant on Turtle Beach for your reception

Useful links for you:
St Kitts Tourism, which has a section on weddings
http://www.stkittstourism.kn/Weddings/Tying_Knot.asp

The Beach House Restaurant:
http://www.stkittsbeachhouse.com/home.htm

And if you want a romantic, luxury villa complete with 4 poster bed, we stayed here, right on Turtle Beach, and within walking distance from the Beach House
http://turtlebeachhousestkitts.shutterfly.com/

Hope this helps - good luck!
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM

Take a look at Nisbet Plantation Beach Club on Nevis -- I have already decided this will be the site of my daughter's destination wedding (she's only 16 but always good to plan ahead ). The only challenge with Nevis is that it can be hard to get to -- but since all your guests will most likely fly into St. Kitts, you could probably rent a water taxi to bring them to Nevis which would be a fun arrival and more convenient.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM

My suggestion would be for another island entirely. Consider Grenada, which offers much of what you're looking for in a destination wedding experience. It's mountainous and lush BUT it also has gorgeous blue water and white sand beaches (and black sand and gray sand and every other shade of sand). The snorkeling is fair, but for an exciting daytrip you can go snorkeling in the Tobago Cays (After first taking a puddle jumper to Union Island). There's also an interesting snorkel point north of St. George's where a sculptor has submerged several pieces of his work to create an underwater sculpture garden. On the interior you can go hiking to several different waterfalls or go tubing. Unlike other island that offer everything you're looking for (Puerto RIco and Jamaica) Grenada is small enough to be circumnavigated on one day, so you can stay in one area that's centrally located and choose a different focus each day. There are gorgeous villas in all price ranges, guest houses, small inns, large beachfront resorts, and a couple of luxury hotels, so there would be something to fit every budget.

How many people will be a part of the festivities? I planned my own destination wedding with about 40 folks on Antigua in 2003--it was amazing and I think you and your guests will have a a great time. We were so glad that we planned an escape where we didn't have to much planning but could spend all of our time with the folks we love best.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Hello IdahoGator,
Try Nevis. It really is a great place.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM

We stayed at Jade Mountain in St Lucia and saw a few weddings while we were there. It has the MOST beautiful view of the Pitons, and I think would be wonderful for a destination wedding.