If you travel with a toddler, please read

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m trying to find Caribbean destination options that are good for a toddler and that have a second bedroom...preferably with a full kitchen. Since the arrival of our daughter three years ago it has become much more difficult to find an upscale villa/resort/ condo on a safe island that has a great beach / great pool that’s good for the entire family.

I know that T&C and Grand Cayman are excellent but we have been there a few times and want to find something new.

We’ll travel anywhere that is safe and has what I mentioned above. Also, we’ll be traveling from the Midwest and our budget is between $750-1,000 per night. Is there anything out there??? I’ve done hours and hours of research and am just hoping that I have missed something!!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:03 AM

You can find "condos" and small rental villas in your price range on just about every island. Have you tried doing a google search using such topics as "Rental Condos NAME OF ISLAND" or "NAME OF ISLAND villas".

For starters check out:
Mango Bay Resort or Nail Bay Resort, Virgin Gorda
Shoal Bay Villas, Anguilla
The Condos at Nelson Spring or Seaside at Cliffdwellers, Nevis
Sea Lofts, St. Kitts
Palm Island Resort, Palm Island, Grenadines

Also, there are literally scores of rental condos on both ST. Thomas (USVI's) and ST. Martin.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:13 PM

With that kind of nightly budget, there's not much beyond your reach, to be honest. One place that comes to mind is Virgin Gorda. There are some nice villas at Nail Bay resort as well as some nice villas available through www.guavaberryspringbay.com. We stayed at one of the villas at Mahoe Bay called Adagio, which we rented directly from the owner. It was slightly hillside--less than a 5 minute walk to the beach, but there is a beachfront villa in that complex that would work for you, too. A poster here named kellybeaches stayed there with her family, including a small toddler, so if you search her name you can find her report.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Good grief yes I agree with ejcrowe - with that budget you should be very good. On a tighter budget we have travelled with our son to St. kitts and stayed at Timothy Beach resort in a one bedroom condo. It will not look like a $1,000 a night accomodation however it has the best patio I have ever seen - nightly sunsets over the Caribbean sea...proximity to great activities and full kitchen, one bedroom with a pull out couch in living room.

i gather the Mariott down the road has lovely contemporary design condos too,

This year with our now 5 year old and 3 month old we are staying in a one bedroom with kitchen and pull out couch at the Flamboyant in Grenada - I will repot back when I return....but the Flamboyant also has a really lovely old style West Indian flavour Cottage at the top - and the views from all of the rentals are breathtaking...

Otherwise - with your budget go big and then remember to tell us all - I will live vicariously...for $175 a night avg I go for two weeks. There are likely other higher end one bedrooms units in fabulous accomodations in Grenada - an island that I believe is one of the best in the world!
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 04:54 PM

hi brutus, i too thought of the mahoe bay villas. i just searched extensively for kellybeaches trip report - but what with the new improved fodors search i FOUND NOTHING. ok rant over - she stayed in a villa called carribean wind. i specifically recall that she choose and was happy with the villa/pool because it has a raised wall tall enough to keep little ones from just going in.
http://caribbeanwind.com/
there are several wonderful villas at mahoe beach if above is too pricey.

the sea palms villas at mango bay resort has similiar pool.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 05:20 AM
KVR

If your interested in Curacao, we stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment at the Lions Dive. It's a beach property with 3 resturants on site and several more within walking distance. The Sea Aquarium is also within walking distance. They have a free shuttle that will take you to the grocery store so you can stock your kitchen. There is 2 swimming pools and a kids pool. We enjoyed are stay there last May.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 04:18 AM

Turks and Caicos would be my first choice, but since you've been there, done that, how about Anguilla. I would not hesitate to stay at the Cuisinart. when we visited there (stayed at Cap with just DH) we saw alot of kids. The beach is gorgeous and the pool is very nice).

I don't think you need a 2 bedroom though. we have a four year old and always get a one bedroom and she sleeps in the living area on a pullout or a rollaway (back in the day in a crib).

the regent palms in T&C provided us with the best situation -- full amazing kitchen, ocean view room, one bedroom with a huge living room. Truly 5 star.