I need Travel Agent Advice Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really about traveling, but I do not have anyone else to ask about this!
I have not been paid for the trips that I sold under the agency that I worked for. The clients took their trips in early May and early June. I know I should have been paid by now. How can I get my money (outside of small claims court)?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:00 PM

What reason(s) have been given by the agency owner for failure to pay your commissions?
How large is the sum you're owed (hundreds vs. thousands)?
If you believe this is beyond resolution, then you'll need to start with various threats.
The simplest, if you have any friends who are attorneys, is to have an attorney draft a letter outlining a plan for legal action. If you have a friend who will do this for free, that's the best of all worlds, and usually resolves this kind of gnatty issue.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi rwilliams...thanks for responding. It is the last 2 trips, and it totals to approx $850.00...hardly thousands, but it is mine. It is very difficult to make thousands when your commission is split with the "house". When I do call the owner says..oh yeah, we will not pay that commission for 60 days blah blah blah. 60 days has come and gone. I hate to sound like I'm begging for my own money, but I don't work for free and why should someone else keep my money since I earned it, be it $8.50 or 8,500... This is a major reason why I started my own.... Some people really SU.. I mean...Stink
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:00 PM

This is what I'd do:
Try to figure out how they calculate the time (is it 60 days from the end of the month or 60 days from the actual trip completion?). You can figure it out from past payments. Wait 70 days. Dress nicely and go there in person. And park yourself in the front office - where all the customers can see you. Don't let them usher you into a closed-door situation ("oh no thank you I'll be fine right here in this chair&quot. Remain calm and pleasant, but without shouting, use a somewhat louder voice than normal. Insist they write a check while you're there. After awhile (60 minutes or however long you can stand it) tell them you hate to do it but you WILL be contacting your attorney. Then make sure you get that letter to them within the next two days!

...you DO have documentation right? Be sure to bring it so you can show them the exact amount.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:08 PM

If you follow the above advice I hope you don't plan to work for that agency for very long !!