Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a GREAT Southeast Asia travel agent (and other questions)?!

Can anyone recommend a GREAT Southeast Asia travel agent (and other questions)?!

Apr 13th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Looking for a great travel agent to help my husband and myself plan a 10ish day trip to two or three cities in SE Asia. Would prefer a company/agent that specializes in SE Asia and is able to communicate via e-mail because we both work full time.
Also, now that I've hopefully caught your attention, what are your thoughts on visiting Hanoi, LP in Laos, and Angkor Wat (Siem Reap)with only about 10 days to travel? I received mixed reviews when I posted this question about Bangkok, Hanoi and Siem Reap. I'm wondering if it changes anything to replace BKK with LP. Thanks very much!
Apr 13th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry- not sure if it makes any difference, but we'd be coming from NY. Thanks again!
Apr 13th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Your problem is trying to do too many places in way too little time. In a mere 10 days, you'll be happiest with two places. It only makes your connections more difficult if you replace Bangkok with LP. If you can stretch your trip to a full 12 days on the ground, it would make three places more do-able. You need a minimum of three full days (not counting travel days) in each location to feel that you've been there at all.

GPanda has an agent he recommends, who I think is in NYC. You really don't need an agent to do this - it's very easy to do on your own. But if you are more comfotable with an agent, I'm sure GPanda with appear here soon with his name.
Apr 13th, 2007, 07:19 AM

PS, and if your 10 days includes your travel to/from the US, don't even think about more than two places max - one would be better!
Apr 13th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Way too many places in 10 days. Stick to two.
Apr 13th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Gregg at Innovasian.com has been very helpful. He's actually in Westchester County, but close enough. I agree that three locations in 10 days is too rushed. If you can get 12 days on the ground (travel eats up 2 days), three is doable. Gregg will work with you. Just E-mail him or call him at 800-553-4665. Feel free to use my name, Andy Levine.
Apr 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

As always, many thanks to all of you for responding. Coincidentally, my parents recently met Gregg on a return flight from vacation and took his card for me. I am happy for the confirmation from fodorites! Question- if it comes down to LP or Hanoi, which would you all choose? As I've said in earlier posts, I have been to Hanoi before (city, perfume pagoda, two nights Halong Bay on a boat, and then up to Sapa. Never been to Cambodia or Laos though). My husband has never been to Asia.
Apr 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Luang Prubang.
Apr 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM

If you've been to Hanoi, choose LP, no question. But with a mere 10 days, you have to carefully consider air connections. Really, you can do two places only if there are easy air connections. So Bangkok and LP would work, or Bangkok and Siem Reap, but not LP and SR.
Apr 13th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Actually you can do SR and LP quite easily together in one trip, using Bangkok as your point of exit and entry for Asia and Bangkok Air for your regional flights.
We did this a couple of weeks ago, starting in BKK. We did LP and Koh Samui in one 8 day trip,using the BKK Air Discovery Pass. These can only be purchased outside Thailand, and it is the chepaest way to do it. We flew BKK-LP, LP-BKK, BKK-Samui, Samui-BKK. Total cost of the tickets with all the departure taxes built in, was about $US110 per leg, per person. Our time on the ground in BKK between LP and Samui was only about 2 hours.
You could do the same thing, substituting SR for Samui.

LP was wonderful....highly recommend the Maison Souvannaphoum if you go. Lovely service and comfortable (albeit small) rooms. On our last day there, the electricity went out for 12 hours all over town. But MS has a generator! We still had lights, fans and breakfast when everyone else was in the dark.
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:57 PM

you can easily do these as pointed out, but i think what others are saying is what will you get out of it....??? lots of limos and airports and waiting in airports and very little enjoyment of the places to which you are travelling...

don't forget the jet lague...that can take 2 days to adjust to...so i would head to a lazy place like LP first through bkk....then back to bkk to explore and then home....SR really require 3-4 days to see much of it at all...

all changes of location take at least 1/2 a day if not more...
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM

another nyc based agent who might help is chip cooper at [email protected]
Apr 13th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Lindsey, these people have 10 days, including travel from the US - doing LP and SR in the same trip makes no sense. They have to go in and out of Bangkok, so my suggestion is to do at most, Bangkok and one of those pkaces. Otherwise, all they will see is airports and the inside of a plane!
Apr 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM

We used Journeys Within for a January trip to Siem Reap and Luang Prabang. We were thrilled with them. Check out their website. We did all of our business via email. Recommend them VERY highly.
Apr 14th, 2007, 04:04 AM

JMGJD-with any travel agent, pay careful attention to the hotel choices. If there's a hotel that you prefer over their choice, let them know. Usually, they can accomodate your wish. For instance, when we travelled the first time to Thailand, we told Gregg we wanted the Royal Orchid Sheraton in BKK and the Chedi in Phuket. He was able to book for us.