Search

I need advice!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need advice!

We LOVED St. John (USVI) last spring, but would (maybe) like to try a new island for next year. We loved that it was super laid back and casual, lots of public access beaches, and we had a truly beautiful villa that rented to us at an off season rate even though only half our stay was off season.

The same villa is offering us $350/night (which is ridiculously cheap - it is magnificent with private pool and hot tub etc.) but starting March 25th, which is little tough for my work. I'm better off going a little earlier in March. Anyway, everything else is looking really expensive in comparison, but we're willing to pay more and keep looking. Would like to keep accommodations only under ~$5k/week.

I'd like your opinion on GREAT beaches, laid back but NICE environment, uncrowded, not a lot of little kids, interesting (not necessarily fancy) places to eat, little or no begging/selling/harassment on the beach... We enjoyed renting a car on St John and hitting different beaches, etc. Mostly we sit on the beach, swim, drink frozen drinks, and RELAX.

Any ideas? I'm clueless. THANK YOU!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 04:28 PM

St. John is a great island! In fact, we're heading back there in June. How many bedrooms are you looking for in the villa? I would look into Virgin Gorda or Jost Van Dyke if you want something similar to St. John in that general area. We stayed on Mahoe Bay at Caribbean Wind on Virgin Gorda and loved it. The villas on Mahoe run around 11k for the week in March, but if you split the cost a few ways with friends, it could be in your price range which is why I ask how many rooms you need. Mahoe bay is amazing, and it's footsteps from your door. We're looking to spend a few days at White Bay villas on Jost Van Dyke this coming June (tacking on to our St. John trip). Both islands are even less built up than St. John. I think Virgin Gorda would be a great fit - you could check out the Baths while there.

Another option if you want to try a different area, is Providenciales, Turks & Caicos. We just got back from Provo, staying at the villa Crystal Sands on Sapodilla Bay. This is in your price range for 2 bedrooms in March, and it's directly on a gorgeous beach, all to yourself! Here's my TR with pictures to give you an idea:
http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...gust-13-21.cfm
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 02:20 AM

St. John is very hard to beat for safety beaches diving and price for me.Magenspoint.com area north St. Thomas is nice also
BVIs but more remote.Provo Turks and Caicos small island more expensive but nice.www.puntacana.com is a great area for something a little more adventurous lots of good villas there.Careful with VRBO always pay with CC never wire money.

www.luxurylink.com has great deals on other areas at good prices

Round Hill others in Jamaica super nice for me in the past

Also www.rockhousehotel.com great price point cheap flights

down on spirit.com aa.com others...

Lastly runawayhill.com pinksandsresort.com my fav for beach

Happy Hunting!
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:39 AM

I think it's going to be hard to beat St. John for that price and the type of accommodations in early March, which is the height of the season.

I don't think you'd be happy in Jamaica ( one of my absolute faves) because there IS haggling on the beach, and can be lots of kids at some of the beach resorts. I do like Rockhouse, which is recommended above, but it means cabbing or walking to the beach, since you're up on the cliffs, and it certainly will be a bit to a lot more rustic than the villa you describe in St. John.

As for Round Hill in Jamaica, I've never understood the appeal. It doesn't have one of the nicer beaches on the island, the atmosphere is a little stuffy, and the accommodations, though nice, are a lot of $$.

Other islands we've really liked ( Anguilla and Nevis in particular) will be over your budget, I think, in March. Turks and Caicos, as mentioned above, might be a good option. We're visiting for the first time in November. I'll post back!
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM

TOugh call! I'm heading to St. John for my first trip in about 3 weeks and I know how well people love that island from participating in travel boards like this one through the years. I agree with kellybeaches that Virgin Gorda would be as close to St. John as you can get, but the restaurants aren't quite as good. It's uncrowded, with lovely beaches and good snorkeling, and its small size makes it really easy to get around. Take a look at the villas for rent at Nail Bay and Leverick Bay, which have some of the better prices on the island. Mahoe Bay, where I stayed in the off-season, might be more than that in March, but in my opinion it's a better location than Nail or Leverick and thus worth a little more money. The Mango Bay villas are right there next to the Mahoe Bay ones, and they're less posh, but the price is right. Also check out some of the villas that Guavaberry Spring Bay manages--they might be in your price range.

Anguilla offers everything you're looking for except for good value in accommodations--it's the most expensive island I've traveled to, but I love it. I stay on accommodations that are considerably less posh than what you're describing on STJ, but $5000/wk in the high season won't get you very far on the beachfront in Anguilla.
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Still pondering....