Search

Hurricane Georges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 09:46 AM
gf

Hurricane Georges

Does anyone have any info regarding how Hurricane Georges has affected any of the major resorts in Antigua and the Dominican Republic? I understand both of those islands, along with the entire area from Guadaloupe to Puerto Rico, got hit pretty badly with the hurricane. We had been thinking about going to Antigua and/or the DR, among some other choices, in early 1999, so we are wondering if the hurricane has damaged any of the resorts to the extent that we should cross those islands off our list and start looking at other possibilities. Any info would be appreciated! <BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 11:02 AM
miss unhappy

I can tell you that Club Antigua is closed until 11/25/98 or longer. They got hit pretty bad and now we are scrambling for another all-inclusive resort in Oct 98. I would definately have your travel agent check things out regarding what kind of damage any of the properties may have had. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 06:56 PM
Bob

Antigua sustained major damage to its land and resorts...some travel agents have suggested all travel there should be suspended until further notice...while St John's was not hit too bad, many of the resorts on the coasts were damaged, among them Sandals and the Rex Halycon, Galley Bay, St James, Rex Blue Heron...Look at reports on gobeach.com or antol.ag for first hand reports... <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 05:18 AM
Brian

I am owner/manager of Barrymore Beach Club on Runaway Bay, Antigua (north-west). I have heard of a few larger hotels suffering quite a bit of damage, however generally the large hotels get piority with the insurance adjusters and then have the capability to bring in what they need from Miami very quickly. I understand most hotels will be ready by mid-November. <BR>The island itself is nowhere nearly as badly damaged as with Luis 3 years ago. Most of our landscaping survived without damage. Apart from shingles, a few doors and repainting we came through very well and actually gained quite a bit of sand on our beach. We will be open by October 25th or earlier, if the electricity supply is back sooner. <BR>Don't write Antigua off for this winter!!

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 04:59 AM
Sherry

Check the following sites for the latest news on damage caused by Georges <BR> <BR>www.dr1.com/index.html/ <BR>www.sdq.com/georges/ <BR> <BR>Hotels on the south coast of DR were hit really bad. <BR> <BR>/Sherry

Old Oct 6th, 1998, 12:26 PM
Tom

We were in the South of the Dom Rep (Boca Chica) when the hurricaner hit. The Hamaca hotel suffered minor cosmetic damage only, and they said thae they would be open again in a few weeks, the whole landscape however looks as bad as you could imagine. there are virtually no trees left untouched, power lines are all down etc etc, we were move after 3 days to the north, and this was totally untouched. If anyone wants more info i'll be glad to tell you a few stories, just mail me. Tom

Old Oct 7th, 1998, 01:31 PM
Christie

Check the official websites for Antigua, or the Hurricane Georges homepage at www.storm98.com From what I have seen, most of the resorts in Antigua will be closed until December to repair damages. The hurricane hit the south side of the island the hardest, so most of the resorts there had a lot of damage. <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 1998, 07:11 PM
Doreen

Club Antigua opened October 26-98 for business again. The only visual damage is to the vegetation, palm trees garden's etc. Friends from work just got back Nov.2-98 and would highly recomend this facility. They had no complaints even the snorkling was great.