How to get around in Jamaica

Old May 31st, 2008, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get around in Jamaica

We're going to Jamaica in Aug and we want to stay in Montego Bay, but the flights are so much cheaper to Kingston (from Florida). Is it worth it to fly into Kingston and drive to Mo Bay? Where should we stay? We're on a budget.

Thanks
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:01 PM

Wehave been to jamaica quite a few times and I would opt to say "NO" to Kingston. MB is much safer....The drive to MB from Kingston is quite long. I would try looking into something in MB. Just my opinion!
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kim. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get back.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM

Hi there. I'd agree that it's not wise to try to drive from Kingston to Montego Bay.

Another approach you might look into is driving to another departure airport instead of driving farther in Jamaica. Where are you planning on departing from?

A very quick and unscientific search on expedia.com shows a huge difference in fares from Ft. Myers to either MBJ or KIN. However, the difference in fares almost disappears when you travel from MIA or TPA.

Good luck and have fun.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM

If you fly into Kingston (which is perfectly safe to do - going to Kingston is like going to NYC, there are great areas, average areas and areas to avoid especially at night..the airport is in Port Royal, more or less), consider spending your vacation in Portland.

It is arguably the lushest, most beautiful area of Jamaica, and it is much closer to Kingston than MoBay - 3 hours or less drive.

You are sandwiched between the Blue Mountains and the sea which creates several lovely cove beaches as well as the Blue Lagoon.

Hotels exist for every budget. I liked Fern Hill in the $100ish category - http://www.fernhillclubhotel.com/

..but if money were not a consideration I'd stay at Geejam:
http://www.geejamhotel.com/

Lots of options there, and many things to do.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:51 AM

You could look into a puddle jumper from Kingston to Montego Bay. that's what we did. Although, if you can splurge, fly right into Mo Bay...Kingston's airport, is well, "authentic." haha. As I was ordering food, power in the entire airport went out for about an hour haha. and by "the entire airport," I mean one main lounge with everyone in it, with no AC, then my plan broke down, so I was sweating and miserable for 6 hours! Not to mention my friends and I were the only Americans in the entire place...Mo Bay it is my friend, Mo Bay it is!
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:49 AM

The Kingston airport was just fine when we were there a few years ago...

No where near the city. We landed there to get to Port Antonio, which was amazing.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Are you sure it is going to be cheaper to fly into Kingston, rent a car, buy gas and drive to Mobay? And, I presume, drive back to Kingston?

I agree with everything Liza has said.

Although the "new" Highway is pretty much complete, the drive from Kingston to Montego Bay is almost 3 1/2 hours. It is a pretty interesting drive though and you'll get to see parts of the country that you would never get to see by plane and you could drive along the south coast to Mobay and on the north coast back to Kingston.

One warning though. The road to Portland might be under construction so...be warned. I have no idea what state it is in right now.

chgeeb, electricity problems plague teh entire island. Montego Bay is no exception and thus, neither is the airport in Mobay. They have their power outages from time to time as well.

That said, the Norman Manley International Airport is not as nice as MBJ airport. The reason is that MBJ is undergoing an extensive renovation. The NMIA is renovating as well, but is not even a quarter way into it. They tell us that when it is complete it will be quite lovely.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for replying. This is greatly appreciated. I'll probably buy my plane tix tonight- flying into Mo Bay. Now the search is on for hotels and Island Life.